• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
xxxHolic Kei.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
This season is just so good so far, I even have managed to look beyond how it looks to just concentrate on content, something I was only consistently able to do when watching season one.

I really enjoyed all the stuff with spoiler[Kohane-chan. She's a very interesting character and although some of her story isn't all that original (the stuff with her mother in particular), I still find it very entertaining. I also like to see her contrast with Watanuki, since they both have similar abilities. It was also interesting to see some of her later story, since it hasn't been covered in the English manga release (unless I've forgotten it, which is possible)]

I am so excited to see the next episode, because it's awesome to have finally reached the wonderful spoiler[Himawari arc]. Vol 10 of the xxxHolic manga is one of my favourite volumes of manga ever and it's been dealt with really well so far. I expect very good things from the next episode.

I am curious about how they are going to keep going with the anime, since we're getting close to where the manga is currently at, IIRC (I believe volume 13 just came out/is about to come out in Japan). There might still be enough material for 13 more episodes, but it could be stretching it at points, which will be especially apparent given the strength of the current storyline (which is hard for the later stories to match).
Brianccanada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Just wondering if I should buy singles or wait for the season box set?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
I assume you're asking about xxxHolic, since the Kei season is not yet licensed (although I think it's fairly obvious that it will be).

I personally am going to wait for a set to come out, because it will be cheaper that way. But I've also already seen the first season and read the manga, so there's no burning need in me to get it and watch it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
First there was the Mahjong episode, and now with all the episodes released, 12 and 13, the finale, are still not subbed. It was strange too, with the two subbers NX and Chihiro (I think they were?) in competition with 'who can bring out the sub FIRST'. And now, yet another standstill.

Any reasoning behind it? Once again, I still have no sign of a C&D going out.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
It's still listed on AnimeSuki, so there must not had been any C&D yet. I don't know why there has been the delay, I'm following NX but they don't seem to have any place where they post news, just torrents. There's a few other groups, but none go beyond episode 11.

Is the series really only 13 episodes? I had thought it would be 26, like the first season, but I think 13 might be a good plan since they are closing in to where the manga is currently (I believe vol 13 was just released in Japan and the current story arc has been mainly coming from vol 10, though I think some have been from later because I don't believe I've read them in the manga yet and I have up to 11).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hm it is strange then. I haven`t caught up with the manga yet, but WHY did it have to end at a cliffhanger where spoiler[ Himawari was finally going to reveal her secret! Whatever it is... So I suppose not really a spoiler since I don`t even know^^ ]

But yeah I was dissapointed when I found out it would be short lived. It would be nice if they released an OVA for the climax of the series though. Although, I do know with how Bee Train did the Tsubasa series was they didn't even care if they actually finished the series... but from how me and many others felt about the Inuyasha ending, it would be VERY nice to get an ending made from both series. Actually... even a fusion ending would be awesome, if they do go in that direction^^

Last edited by Sheleigha on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
Well, obviously the gap between subbing episodes 11 and 12 probably wasn't planned. But yeah, it was a particularly bad cliffhanger to end on. Of course, since I've read vol 10 I do know what the secret it Razz

I actually think a fusion ending for xxxHolic and Tsubasa might be a really good idea, if they could manage it. It might be tough, given how the Tsubasa anime ended pre-maturely perhaps (I don't personally know, since I've heard nothing good about the series and so have never watched it myself). But it might allow the xxxHolic anime a way back to the crossovers...which isn't something I particularly want, but it seems to be the only way to accurately tell the story, since the two series are overlapping even more of late.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the final episode, Im pretty pissed at the ending. spoiler[Nothing changed, it basicly just pissed on the whole series. The ending was really really fake and thrown together, it brought back characters that didn't really matter, and left many many questions unanswered, if this is the true ending of xxxHolic Im going to shoot someone.

When this series came out people were talking about xxxholic and tsubasa chronicles fusing together. There was absolutly none of that, NONE. With such a shitty ending I feel like I've just wasted my time on this series. There was no point to the second season, you just learned some new facts about himawari-chan(that were pulled out from no where). I've never been so displeased with an ending. Ever. ]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, obviously the "end" isn't going to be the end of the story, because it hasn't been written yet. I haven't actually seen the episode yet, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised that they end it on a stand-alone, instead of just using the Himawari arc to complete it.

And the discussion that xxxHolic and Tsubasa would go together was never about the end of the kei season, but about how the ending of both manga would be animated. Which possibly seems to be the case, with the DVDs that have been announced to being packaged with the manga in Japan, though of course we don't really know what will be on those until they come out.

The kei season was to animate the parts of the story that weren't in the first season and it did a good job with them (I would say that it covered things better than the first season, because it didn't mess around with the timeline even close to as much). It never was supposed to have the "true ending" of the series.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So how many seasons are we supposed to watch? Why bother making it into an anime if your not going to put more effort into it?

I know its not going to be the ending of the series, but they could've finished this season with a better note and in a way that would do the series justice. Maybe you should watch it and see how mashed together it is?
tankerboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the final episode and couldn't agree more - Kei is a total waste of characters with tremendous potential. - Good Lord, they create the Ame-warashi, the Zashiki-warashi, the cat girl, and the amazing human spider, Jorougumo and they don't do a damn thing with them.

Almost every episode had the making of two or three story arcs. The writers of xxxholic must be the kind of people who when asked, "How did you like that elephant that just walked by?" reply, "What elephant?" - Maybe the manga plays up the triangle involving Watanuki, Himawari and Zashiki-warashi because the anime totally ignored it.

Yuuko could have been one of the great females in anime but they turn her from a witch who is a super-dominant into an insipid drunk whose only purpose is exposition.

The whole season is an insult.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
Maybe the manga plays up the triangle involving Watanuki, Himawari and Zashiki-warashi because the anime totally ignored it.

What triangle? In the manga, there's no triangle between them to speak of.

And another thing: Kei created the Ame-warashi and Zashiki-warashi? They were in the first season, as well. In the manga, the catgirl may pop up from time to time but the spider queen pretty much served her purpose.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
I think Kei was a great season, much better than the first though mainly because it had the best arcs to animate.

Yes, it is very episodic, but that's because the original manga is. There are lots of characters who only appear once because they were only supposed to be one-time characters.

And yeah, there's not really much of a love triangle. Zashiki-warashi clearly likes Watanuki, but it's very one-sided. Of course, I would have said that about Watanuki and Himawari at first, but after the Himawari arc I'd definitely have to call it more than that.

I will agree however that the last episode was not very good. I don't know why they decided to end it on that note, the last Himawari arc episode would have been much better.
Eira

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Overall, I think the second season of xxxHolic was better than the first one, but compared to the manga it's still a rather pale adaptation. The arcs that follow the manga closely (like the Himawari and the spider arcs) were well done; but others could have been much better given the series's potential. Most of all I miss the character and relationship development that can be found in the manga, especially when it comes to Yuuko, Doumeki and Watanuki himself. The anime gave us the Himawari arc, and it did it well, but there was not very much development for the rest of the cast. However, I guess it would be hard to include more things from the manga without starting to cross over with TRC. Some arcs, like the Kohane one, were even changed a lot in the anime, clearly in order to avoid crossovers. Personally, I dream of getting an anime adaption that allows the same fusion between the series that we've seen in the manga, but I don't know if that ever will happen. I put my hopes to the new OADs, though.

I agree that the last episode of xxxHolic Kei was kinda pointless. But as others said, it was never supposed to be the real ending of the series.

And yes, there's no love triangle between Watanuki, Himawari and Zashiki Warashi in the manga. Actually, both Ame and Zashiki Warashi appear much more frequently in the anime than in the manga. I suppose the animators liked them.
leoncloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[How and why is the Zashiki-warashi so intersted in Watanuki, when did she first met/fall for him anyway?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4