• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime you will never watch?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I think the difference is that Gantz is...well Gantz, the entire time through and thus towards the end you are impervious to it via desensitization. Shiki had other things going, so there was a relief from it at times, which made it seem more intense. Also, when I think of Shiki, I include episode 20.5, which was probably the most bloody episode.

Most of Gantz main cast annoyed me in different ways, so I didn't really care when they were dismembered. Shiki's cast was mostly either characters you didn't know well enough to hate or liked.

But the question at hand was the amount of violence and gore present in the series. And when it comes to that, Shiki doesn't even compare to Gantz, even with that last stretch of episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I have thus far refused to check out Gunslinger Girl and She, The Ultimate Weapon (A.K.A. SaiKano) because of their premises. Why make little girls into weapons except to draw in the crowd which enjoys watching little girls become weapons?

Given your current avatar, this comment borders on ironic comedy.

The way I see it, it's not that much different from those Key adaptations where all the girls have some magical tragic disease they're suffering from.

Sci-Fi is different from Fantasy, despite the two being lumped together at the bookshop.

Regarding SaiKano, there's no reason to give a teenage girl ridiculously huge powers when there are much better choices. Is she the only one that can endure the conversion process? Was she trained from birth? Did she 'fall into the cockpit', so to speak? Was she intended to be a cute mascot? Nothing makes sense.

Regarding Gunslinger Girl, girls may be more easily brainwashed or something, but their infiltration abilities are weak. No-one is going to suspect them, instead they'll ask the girls where their parents are and take them to the police assuming they are lost children. Instead, why not turn soldiers into cyborgs? Their bodies are fully-grown so their parts do not need to be constantly replaced with larger ones. They do not need to be brainwashed to kill, can infiltrate organisations and places where a child might seem odd, their larger bodies can hide more weapons and gadgets, and they are more knowledgeable and better-trained than a child.

As for PMMM, Kyubey's explanation of why it has to be girls is far-fetched, but with magic you can get away with bending things. With science, you can't.

Your point does have some validity, which is why I have not completely ruled out either SaiKano or Gunsinger Girl, especially after PMMM ridiculed my low expectations of such shows.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
if i had some oh let

fairy tail yea still ongoing many eps & will still NOT watch even more cause it's connect to rave master anime yet rave anime is still INCOMPLETE.

yea no fairy tail watching till rave master anime is fully 100% complete true either pull final act or reboot it all to make full complete on the manga to anime.

& also reborn anime really too much waste of future arc yea in anime 2yrs+ on it enough of it also lack of female using really treating women like fillers.

oh come if more mention yea i still NEVER EVER watch geass series EVER AGAIN till they prevent those "events" to SAVE this series.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42
I definitely agree with you on Saikano. The whole time I was also wondering why it had to be her, and I don't recall there ever being an answer. Much like how just about nothing else was answered or explained. I couldn't help but feel disappointed in that title.

Regarding Gunslinger Girl, I won't try and argue about the science of it, but I do feel the need to point out that it's not like they send the girls into a mission by themselves. They each operate with their handler who can easily pass as a parent/guardian, and therefore people wouldn't pay much mind to them. The only time I remember it being close to sending one in on her own is at the end of the first season (I've only seen the first season) when they used her to replace a daughter of a VIP who was suspected of 'soon to be kidnapped'. And even then, spoiler[the 'captured' girl didn't make any move until the rest of the operatives began the raid on the hideout.]
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I have thus far refused to check out Gunslinger Girl and She, The Ultimate Weapon (A.K.A. SaiKano) because of their premises. Why make little girls into weapons except to draw in the crowd which enjoys watching little girls become weapons?

Given your current avatar, this comment borders on ironic comedy.

The way I see it, it's not that much different from those Key adaptations where all the girls have some magical tragic disease they're suffering from.

Sci-Fi is different from Fantasy, despite the two being lumped together at the bookshop.

As with so much other anime series as well, SaiKano is a science fiction-fantasy. There is no real attempt to explain as to how exactly Chise is made into a technological advanced weapon - she just grows some angel-like wings when she has to perform her duty is being manipulated by the army or she drops some nukes from her back/arms, and that`s it.
Patlabor 2 - The Movie, that is Science Fiction. SaiKano? Naah.

Last edited by Swissman on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I highly doubt that I will lay my hands on another hentai title with Kite being the only one I ever watched through...

Kite is available without the Hentai scenes and it's pretty good, though. The hentai scenes definitely spoil it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
@dtm42
I definitely agree with you on Saikano. The whole time I was also wondering why it had to be her, and I don't recall there ever being an answer. Much like how just about nothing else was answered or explained. I couldn't help but feel disappointed in that title.
Ya, in the series they were quite audacious and never even attempted any explanation. Which is probably just as well, because just about anything they came up with would seem contrived. They do hint at an explanation in the OVA though. The OVA explores the prototype for Chise, and how spoiler[a person's body has to accept and not attack all the new additions, and something about how Chise's compatibility levels were higher than anyone else's they'd seen]. Overall, it was a weak explanation.

the Rancorous wrote:
Regarding Gunslinger Girl, I won't try and argue about the science of it, but I do feel the need to point out that it's not like they send the girls into a mission by themselves. They each operate with their handler who can easily pass as a parent/guardian, and therefore people wouldn't pay much mind to them. The only time I remember it being close to sending one in on her own is at the end of the first season (I've only seen the first season) when they used her to replace a daughter of a VIP who was suspected of 'soon to be kidnapped'. And even then, spoiler[the 'captured' girl didn't make any move until the rest of the operatives began the raid on the hideout.]
I actually found the use of young girls quite realistic and disturbingly accurate, considering a very similar thing is happening in Sudan right now (only they aren't made into cyborgs, of course. just brainwashed, hooked on drugs and then taught to kill). Only what is going on in the Sudan isn't limited to girls, it's also young boys. Children preteen age and younger. Apparently very loyal, effective, and up until recently never suspected. They're normally sent into a village as a refugee, then after locating who's in charge, hidden food supplies etc, the others are called in and they shoot everyone. So I never had trouble with the premise.

They give another explanation of why it has to be children though. In the beginning of the first season, they say the younger the better, because the operation to make them cyborgs greatly reduces their life span, but the younger they have the operation, the more their body can adapt and the longer they'll live. So the younger they start, the more mileage the military will get out of them. More bang for the buck.

Edit: Er, sorry for the rant.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I've been giving SaiKano a legitimate attempt...for some time now. I can't get myself to like it, but I'm only on episode 5. I don't know if it gets better or not, but thus far it just isn't good.

Tris8 wrote:
I actually found the use of young girls quite realistic and disturbingly accurate, considering a very similar thing is happening in Sudan right now (only they aren't made into cyborgs, of course. just brainwashed, hooked on drugs and then taught to kill). Only what is going on in the Sudan isn't limited to girls, it's also young boys. Children preteen age and younger. Apparently very loyal, effective, and up until recently never suspected. They're normally sent into a village as a refugee, then after locating who's in charge, hidden food supplies etc, the others are called in and they shoot everyone. So I never had trouble with the premise.

Similar to the local kids befriending the soldiers in Vietnam and killing the soldiers in their sleep.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I've been giving SaiKano a legitimate attempt...for some time now. I can't get myself to like it, but I'm only on episode 5. I don't know if it gets better or not, but thus far it just isn't good.
Does it get better? I'd say yes. Like you I found the first half not that involving, but the second half picks up. Whether you like it or not depends on whether you like watching well-executed tragedy and suffering.

Rhyono wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Similar to the local kids befriending the soldiers in Vietnam and killing the soldiers in their sleep.
Exactly like that. Children have been used as weapons and tools in battle since humans invented war.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I will never watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Ah...another person who will never watch NGE. It came out during the time I wasn't into anime that much and the show itself just never interested me. Asuka does tempt me though....
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
It's strange, I thought I was never going to watch Evangelion, but then I kinda did because I hated being out the loop on some discussions with friends. But I feel like if you don't want to watch it and refuse to, you're really not missing much as it was far more influential back in the late 90s. My friend described it as a series that you need to watch at just the right time in your life, and if it's passed, it's really nowhere near as good a series to we who missed that window. And I saw it well past my window (years and years past my window) and for me, it was a complete waste of 26 episodes (except for the beer drinking penguin, which cannot be anything other than awesome). But if you watch it at the right time, it seems to be a series you'll love forever.
Still, to anyone who instinctively knows their window for the show has passed, I encourage you to just not watch it like you plan on doing anyway.

Ok, lots of talk about Saikano, I read the manga, and yeah, I think it was overhyped to the max, not really something I'd recommend to anyone. And the manga was 7 volumes long (with the last two volumes being something like 300 pages each), the anime is shorter, so I'm sure it cuts out some stuff, the question is if it cuts out pointless stuff, which I'll never know because frankly, I refuse to watch it too. But unlike the stuff in my earlier "I've read this so I won't watch it" list, I plan to re-read all of those series that I listed even if I never watch the anime. Here I don't even plan to re-read the manga. Even if I don't mind the "little girl as gun" thing, I think there's enough else wrong with it that that's the least of my annoyances.

Something I, somewhat arbitrarily refuse to watch that came to mind is Moribito. I've seen two other series by the same director and hated them, and I already don't seem to like feudal Japan-like settings and I didn't like the clips I saw for Balsa during the hero tourney. It all adds up that I think I will never watch it (of course Media Blasters putting the thing on 8 discs doesn't help). I don't even think I saw it on adult swim.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
For purely practical reasons, I'm probably never going to watch Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan etc. I just don't have that sort of time to commit to something.

Although I'd never watch Naruto because I read 6 volumes of the manga and hated the protagonist so much that I couldn't bear to keep reading.

I'll also probably never watch Saikano and Gantz, for reasons already mentioned. I'm not into gore for gore's sake. Saikano has an interesting concept, certainly, but it's not something I want to watch as entertainment.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
Anything over 110 episodes. Why 110? Because one day I might just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Generally, the only anime that I won't watch are sequels to shows or movies that I didn't like. No point in watching something like Dragonball Z when I didn't like the original Dragonball, right?
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hmm, well I wish I could say "never say never!" but that's clearly not true.

Ok, first, the logical ones, any anime that has a manga wherein I've already read the manga and don't think it needs any sort of change and the anime itself doesn't change much either so it would be just watching what I've already read. Or I don't like the changes made. So this would be stuff like Kodocha, Fruits Basket, Maison Ikkoku

I can say that the anime of Kodocha is, in places, very........DIFFERENT from the manga. In tone, if not plot. Shocked
(Look up the original OAV pilot, which played the Sana vs. Hayama arc straight from the manga, and then, um, compare it to the TV version.)

I haven't read enough of the print version of Maison to know how much the series deviates, but I can point to Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura as the golden age of how a Takahashi manga can be turned into gold with the right director and a dream-team voice cast

In both cases, changes, yes, but changes can be improvements.
(And anyone who's read the UY manga, 'nuff said.) Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11