• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Without God (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Considering the beginning of the series and the journey presented, for me this series satisfied all around including the conclusion.

It is somewhat bitter sweet in a way, but it was nice that the characters we were following were able to have smiles at the end of the events presented.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
That was a really nice ending to a really beautiful show. Well, beautiful and pretty. Actually it was likely the nicest looking show of the season.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
That was a satisfying ending, although a few questions still remained unanswered, such as spoiler[why did Dee become a ghost in the other world and if Alis was already dead, then why didn't Scar notice?] I hope the ova or if there is a 2nd season answers these questions. Apparently Alis is actually spelled spoiler[Alice, as seen on his grave.] I was surprised that Alis spoiler[kissed Ai on the forehead instead of Dee.] I will give this a Very Good.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The truth is finally revealed.
Students were faced with reality they wished so hard it wasn't true.
Looks like spoiler[Dee wasn't ready to give up the borrowed time].
I'm glad things turned out differently this time, but with a price.
The twist with who's really the dead one was a nice surprise.
Good final episode, but kinda sad too.
It ended like there could be more to come..
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
well, I am confused about a number of things, but I did like the show. the ending was somewhat satisfying. maybe we'll get a second season, clear some stuff up. rating this Good
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I would of rated this series a bit higher but one of the arcs' moments kinda lowered it for me. However, the first half along with the latest episode were decent enough to satisfy me so I'm rating this as good.

The characters are likable imo for this and I think in the end, I'm stuck whether I like Alis or Hambet better. Oh and I felt the emotions of the finale.

Btw, there's an OVA from what I've heard...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
That ending... *hit head on desk* Okay, it wasn't terrible. The atmospherics of the ending were absolutely sublime. However, it just didn't make much sense! But I guess that's been my complaint all along.

First of all, they made it seem in the end likespoiler[ it was impossible for Alis to leave the fake world, but yet he was the primary one who was able to leave earlier (with Dee) and he spent a ton of time outside that world with Ai and company. That was a huge contradiction.]

So then they have this very emotional scene at the end wherespoiler[ he forces everyone else to leave so he can disappear all alone, and then he's holding Ai and she's crying and he's all like "goodbye my love." Then he shoves her out, completing the "tragic ending". Yet, all the sudden he's there with her in the final scene and is apparently perfectly OK?] I was like, what the hell?

It's hard for me to not like the show. The animation is awesome and the atmosphere is great. The background story is fantastic. It's just the individual stories of these characters, and their actions... a lot of it is hard to swallow. I can't see how I could possibly rate this show better than "good," and I'm not even sure that I can give it that rating.... Maybe it's done just enough for that, I don't know.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was doing a lot of wait, what? throughout that episode on those same points. spoiler[I figured she had told the class that it was Alis who had died, or some other lie to confuse the system that was doing the reset, so at least it was partially surprising that it was true after all. But hadn't Alis already told them all this before and it didn't work because they didn't believe him? What did she do differently that forced the reset? I also got the impression that Alis knew all along he'd died, so what was the mystery?]

I don't regret spending the time watching it, but I don't think I'd ever watch it again. Truly, I can overlook a whole lotta wtf if I get something in return, but likeable characters and mood lighting isn't enough to build a series on for me.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
That ending... *hit head on desk* Okay, it wasn't terrible. The atmospherics of the ending were absolutely sublime. However, it just didn't make much sense! But I guess that's been my complaint all along.

First of all, they made it seem in the end likespoiler[ it was impossible for Alis to leave the fake world, but yet he was the primary one who was able to leave earlier (with Dee) and he spent a ton of time outside that world with Ai and company. That was a huge contradiction.]

So then they have this very emotional scene at the end wherespoiler[ he forces everyone else to leave so he can disappear all alone, and then he's holding Ai and she's crying and he's all like "goodbye my love." Then he shoves her out, completing the "tragic ending". Yet, all the sudden he's there with her in the final scene and is apparently perfectly OK?] I was like, what the hell?

spoiler[(this is based on assumption) The Alis that can leave is a byproduct of the collective wish (I guess Tidus from Final Fantasy x style?), Dee's body could not leave because she was still strongly bound to the collective wish but her "soul" could leave because (for lack of better term) the power of her youthful love for Alis at the time.
One can only assume the source material either establishes this later on or explained it better at the time.]
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
At times it felt a little too episodic: do things here for a few episodes, drive far away and do something else in a completely different area, repeat. There was very little transition and less than solid causes for the events.

However, the atmosphere of this anime was palpable. It was usually stuck in a perpetual twilight that was probably symbolic of the lives of the undead and Alice (as we now know his name is spelled).

The lack of an explanation of how the last mini-arc ended is kind of baffling. As many have already stated, there are so many reasons why that last episode just doesn't make sense in any currently conceivable manner.

I really wanted to rate it better, but anything above Good would be a lie with how it actually progressed.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
My interpretation of the ending

spoiler[Dee didn't actually die, she just thought she did, every time there was a reset everyone lost their memories, well at least parts of them. So she thought she died, she remembered falling out the window,and everyone crying and wishing that it would never happen. She just got the details wrong.

By finally going through with her presumed death, Alis was about to die again, but since Ai was an irregularity in the world, she was able to prevent it. As Dee and Alis were falling out the window, she remembered that it was Alis who actually died.

The realization and Alis acceptance of it, ended up making the world disappear. Then when he, and Ai were talking and he was ready to die. Ai, and maybe the rest of their class, wished for Alis to be able to live. This series is set in a world where wishes can be granted if you believe in them hard enough. It's not unreasonable to believe he could be saved that way. Dee even alludes to it, when she is talking to the class, "If only you had wished for me to live...", so that likely what happened with Alis at the end, allowing him to continue living.]

I really like this anime, I dare say I loved it. I might actually pick this one up when its released here. It's an absolutely beautiful show, very atmospheric and it never failed to stir my emotions...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Got to get my priorities straight here. First, rate the series Excellent, this was an exquisite anime that will stay in my mind as being a beautiful work.

second, Alice is a girls name. I bet the subbers were feeling a little silly when they realized they had been spelling his name wrong the entire time.

Thirdly, there were some beautiful moments in this episode that I had to repeat over to get a better look, like that flash that spoiler[showed it was Alice that was dead instead of Dee]. Dee could look pretty scary, I think there was good reason spoiler[she needed to get out]. And did Alice spoiler[kiss Ai]? I approve of this, and of spoiler[Ai some how saving him too, happy endings are good].
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
This was a tremendously stupid conclusion. When Dee went out into the world with Alice, she read the newspaper article and therefore spoiler[knew the name of the person who actually died that day]. So how then did she forget? Obviously there are resets, yes, but it has been shown already that you can leave items around so that when the world resets, you can look at the items and have a clear understanding. So knowing this, how in the hell did Dee spoiler[forget that vital information?] Am I honestly expected to believe that she goes to great lengths by burning all evidence that Alice brought back with him and yet she completely forgets to write down something as important as that?

You have to be kidding me. What a tremendously stupid twist that is only there for the sake of being a twist. Such an awful conclusion. I would have much rather seen Dee come to terms with her departure from the world for the sake of Alice and her other classmates, but no, guess it wasn't good enough for the author to follow through with everything that had been established. If that dreck kind of writing that I'd get post-Ortus then I'm glad that this is over.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

second, Alice is a girls name. I bet the subbers were feeling a little silly when they realized they had been spelling his name wrong the entire time.

I know of a certain dude named Alice (also one of the greatest Johnny Depp lines ever) http://youtu.be/TwH1BgOWUcU?t=1m11s
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This was a tremendously stupid conclusion. When Dee went out into the world with Alice, she read the newspaper article and therefore spoiler[knew the name of the person who actually died that day]. So how then did she forget? Obviously there are resets, yes, but it has been shown already that you can leave items around so that when the world resets, you can look at the items and have a clear understanding. So knowing this, how in the hell did Dee spoiler[forget that vital information?] Am I honestly expected to believe that she goes to great lengths by burning all evidence that Alice brought back with him and yet she completely forgets to write down something as important as that?

You have to be kidding me. What a tremendously stupid twist that is only there for the sake of being a twist. Such an awful conclusion. I would have much rather seen Dee come to terms with her departure from the world for the sake of Alice and her other classmates, but no, guess it wasn't good enough for the author to follow through with everything that had been established. If that dreck kind of writing that I'd get post-Ortus then I'm glad that this is over.

From the manner you describe the closing arc, at least from my perspective I don't think we saw the same show.
spoiler[While there might be faults in presentation choice from the studio, I think that all the flashbacks are subject to Ai Astin's interpretation of past events, hell Dee flat out told Ai that she was "responsible for Alis' death" and Ai assumed it was something akin to the story Alis told Ai about trying to forcibly trying to break the world in an earlier attempt, when in truth Dee was effectively admitting to Ai that she was indirectly responsible for the creation of the pocket world.
Another thing to throw out is the Alis we see in series is not the original but instead a manifestation from the cumulative wish, as well as of course being part of the lynch pin that holds the world together.
The world finally broke when Alis made his first friend in Ai Astin (and not in the romantic sense as some people probably would take it), Alis never really felt anything more than "class mates" with Dee the entire time.]

While that might not save the show from being "bad" in your eyes, I don't think your view is completely accurate to what the story the show is trying to tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26