• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike Witches' 2nd Season Reportedly to Be Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Toei
The root of the problem.
Quote:
how come this one got a 2nd season and Sky Girls doesn't
Because Sky Girls was rather poorly executed? Vry dodgy pacing, scatterbrained plot, terrible ending, and the director of the battle sequences should be kept WELL clear of any action sequences in the future.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

If there's a question with Strike Witches, it's going to be due to its loli nature, not because of its level of fanservice. It's the combination of loli and fanservice that poses a problem.

So, there's certainly a possibility that companies will be reluctant to touch Strike Witches due to its loli nature, but given how popular it is, I'd still expect someone to license it at some point. And as Richard J. pointed out, given that it's a Gonzo title, Funimation is the most likely candidate. Of course, they just announced a whole string of licenses and I don't know how many shows they're willing to deal with at once, so even if they are going to license it, it may be a while - particularly since Strike Witches will likely be a more expensive license due to its popularity. We'll just have to wait and see.

Exactely. Although myself and many other otakus will love the combination of fanservice, a lot of it's core fans dislike any loli fanservice. And we already know ANN reviewers don't like that fanservice at all so recomending it to anyone will be a problem. Then also the fact that there's some VA & some co CEO's that has admitted at some anime panels that they just won't work on these series that has those type of fanservice so getting a decent co to license it is also another issue and funi is one of them. I'd remebered asking them at one of their panel when they announced the license of the Sasami:Magical girls series on what about spinoff magical girls preety sammy. they said they might relicense the original ryo-oki series and the Mioshi special from Geneon as well but when it comes to the sammy special,it's not going to happen cause of the questionable fanservice of nude 10 yr olds.

so you might be right about strike witches being licensed by them since they had a preety good relationship with gonzo,unfortunately if it has questionable loli fanservice, it's not gonna happen.

If i had to guess who will license it cause of the fanservice,it'll be media blasters which will mean no dubs,unless it's extremely successful in japan like sereki no moribito.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

If i had to guess who will license it cause of the fanservice,it'll be media blasters which will mean no dubs,unless it's extremely successful in japan like sereki no moribito.

Moribito has a partial dub because Geneon negotiated its Adult Swim broadcast deal before Media Blasters salvaged the series.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
for the people who didn't even watch it, there was only like 2 people that would classify as loli....

Yeah I never really understood how Strike Witches got the "loli show" label. I get the feeling it's just a meme that caught on amongst people who haven't actually watched it.

There's one token 12-year-old and the rest are teenagers, the oldest is 19. If you classify any cartoon with naked teenage girls as "loli" that'd be an awfully big list. I'm scratching my head at people suggesting it'd be impossible to sell Strike Witches in the U.S. when right this moment you can go to RightStuf.com and order Popotan or Onegai Twins or whatever.
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah I never really understood how Strike Witches got the "loli show" label. I get the feeling it's just a meme that caught on amongst people who haven't actually watched it.

No, it's also labeled as a loli show by ardent fans, including the Japanese. Remember that it's the depiction (art and personality traits; you could have a 16-year-old who looks and/or acts like she's 12) that counts, not the age specified by writers.

Quote:
If you classify any cartoon with naked teenage girls as "loli" that'd be an awfully big list.

There are lots of loli shows available. Nudity isn't even a pre-requisite for something to be classified as such.

However, Strike Witches got much attention for its high level of sexual pandering (a trend these days, with shows like Kanokon seeking to push boundaries), whereas many shows are more restrained.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
No, it's also labeled as a loli show by ardent fans, including the Japanese.
'Rabid' bay be a better word than 'ardent'.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
it's also labeled as a loli show by ardent fans, including the Japanese.

That actually doesn't seem to be common amongst Japanese Strike Witches fans. I just searched through the past 4,793 posts of the current Strike Witches thread series on 2ch, and the word ロリ doesn't appear even once. I'm sure you can scrounge up a few here and there if you look hard enough around the net, but it's hardly the persistent meme it is on English forums/blogs.
http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime2/1236000048/
Now, the haters will of course call it that along with anything else they can come up with to bash it:
http://ex24.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1214467931/

Do English-speaking fans call it that, though? If so I stand corrected.

rg4619 wrote:
Remember that it's the depiction (art and personality traits; you could have a 16-year-old who looks and/or acts like she's 12) that counts, not the age specified by writers.

Sure. But Strike Witches hasn't got any of those overly-child-like-for-their-age-type characters in it.

Is it purely due to it having a 5-head-height/semi-deformed art style instead of a more realistic height ratio?

Now this got me curious so I started googling on other things with abstract character designs, and I see people referring to Lucky Star as "loli anime" (in both English and Japanese pages). To me that sort of drawing is an abstracted representation of characters, but I guess a decent number of people take it as a literal representation…? Still seems awfully funny to take a phrase I'd associate with Kodomo no Jikan or Ichigo Marshmallow and apply it to Strike Witches or Lucky Star.

Now I’m seriously curious about the reasons behind this lol.
Maybe it depends on your past personal experience with cartoon character representations.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The debate over this show is really what got me to watch it recently. I guess when something is this hotly debated it's kinda hard to ignore it since both sides seem so adamant in expressing their opinions on the matter.

Bear in mind I'm stating only my opinion and what offends me, so please try not to take it like I'm preaching to anyone.

From beginning to end, I can only think of 3 or 4 shots that really bugged me involving far too detailed panty shots of some of the younger girls' "special" areas. I do see why the opening 90 seconds scares people off, so that was a pretty boneheaded move by GONZO to put that much service right up front. The bath scenes I hear so much about didn't appear much worse than the ones I saw in Elfen Lied, which also featured underage nudity of the same sort, and most of the nudity in the SW bath scene was of a 19 year-old character. The second scene is kinda debatable, because I was watching an edited cut of that episode, so I'm not exactly sure what gets shown in this one. Still seemed fairly close to the first one to me, though.

The rest just seems like typical anime boobie-grab, ass shot, panty flash fanservice. If I can accuse the show of being bad for anything, for me it wouldn't be the fanservice, it'd be that show's just plain mediocre and generic when the "real" story comes out in the end. Too much wasted time on too many stories that really didn't matter is what killed this show for me. Not a boobie or two.

In terms of licensing, since Elfen Lied sold here and features a lot of the same things (though admittedly Strike Witches does push it a bit further) I can see it fetching a license at some point.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Now this got me curious so I started googling on other things with abstract character designs, and I see people referring to Lucky Star as "loli anime" (in both English and Japanese pages). To me that sort of drawing is an abstracted representation of characters, but I guess a decent number of people take it as a literal representation…? Still seems awfully funny to take a phrase I'd associate with Kodomo no Jikan or Ichigo Marshmallow and apply it to Strike Witches or Lucky Star.
It seems that loli, like moe before it, has broadened from a single fairly tight description to a generic label applied to almost anything. It's become almost useless as a description through incorrect overuse.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Strike Witches gets the reputation because its producers want that reputation! Laughing

When you see the promo arts they put out, you know right away who they're pandering to. (Dangling participle - to whom.)

Oh, here's a succinct overview of Strike Witches' circumstance in Japan:

I think that it’s also interesting and relevant to make note of the fact that the fully uncensored versions of Strike Witches and Moetan were too risque even for mainstream Japan. The Japanese television broadcast of Strike Witches was the same censored version that Americans had online access to. Only the Japanese DVD release includes graphic nudity. A select regional Japanese television broadcast of the Moetan anime was fully uncensored, but the episodes broadcast by most Japanese networks, and even the Japanese commercial DVD release are slightly censored. So Americans should have realistic expectations. We shouldn’t expect to see mainstream American distribution of anime which even Japan’s more permissible culture deemed too risque for similar distribution.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Strike Witches gets the reputation because its producers want that reputation! Laughing

Strike Witches is about "teehee, panties!" and plenty of nudity...just like a bunch of other shows. What's been weird it that it somehow got labeled as a "loli show" when it has a pretty standard full-range girl-gradient designed to grab the entire moe-ota fanbase, not just the ones who like children.

enurtsol wrote:
Oh, here's a succinct overview of Strike Witches' circumstance in Japan:

I think that it’s also interesting and relevant to make note of the fact that the fully uncensored versions of Strike Witches and Moetan were too risque even for mainstream Japan. The Japanese television broadcast of Strike Witches was the same censored version that Americans had online access to. Only the Japanese DVD release includes graphic nudity. A select regional Japanese television broadcast of the Moetan anime was fully uncensored, but the episodes broadcast by most Japanese networks, and even the Japanese commercial DVD release are slightly censored. So Americans should have realistic expectations. We shouldn’t expect to see mainstream American distribution of anime which even Japan’s more permissible culture deemed too risque for similar distribution.

Ugh, AskJohn...man that guy really causes more problems than he solves, doesn’t he? I've seen him drop some doozies before ("Region 2 DVD players retroactively transform into devices designed for access control circumvention if transported onto U.S. soil!!!1111!!1") but this one you've posted takes the cake. He's wrong about three different things in one single paragraph:

1) Strike Witches had two different TV versions. A standard "reserve the good bits for the DVD" version, and a somewhat more heavily censored version. Which version was broadcast depended on the individual TV stations. The latter, more censored version is the version that was available with English subtitles--in other words, many Japanese viewers saw a less censored version on TV. Japanese blogs noting the difference are easy to find (note the date). (I personally investigated this myself at the time and made this post on 2ch for some people who were curious which version the foreign-targeted streaming version used.)

2) Moetan only had one TV version. There was a fake, fan-made “decensored” clip of Ink’s transformation sequence nicknamed the “Aichi prefecture version" and uploaded to Youtube. (I guess I shouldn’t be surprised John fell for it; I’m not getting the impression fact-checking is one of his priorities.)

3) “Japan’s more permissive culture judged it risqué.” I don't know where to begin on this. John is supposedly an "anime fan" who's been around for a while, right? Surely he's familiar with the drop in "nipple quotient"/prudifcation of Japanese TV over the past few decades? Some TV stations have grown conservative even on middle-of-the-night shows, but it's hardly limited to Strike Witches. (See the different versions of Sekirei, for example.) Separate from that, reserving the "good parts" for the DVD version is a standard sales tactic these days and started significantly prior to Strike Witches. So basically we're left with John saying that anything with a lot of T&A is suddenly no longer sellable in the U.S. Apparently nobody notified Funimation...

Sorry to blow up on you, enurtsol. I guess I’ve been saving up a John rant for a while. Razz

(Moetan is another story. While it's really more of a parody of "loli" themes with its ridiculous high school seniors with child bodies and a duck mascot drooling gallons at the sight of them, it at least makes sense for people to call it “loli anime” and wonder if it’s “unsellable” in the U.S. Though anyone who’s seen it knows it’s not the sort of thing that would disturb people in the sense Kodomo no Jikan does. It’s more just…dumb.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

Sorry to blow up on you, enurtsol. I guess I’ve been saving up a John rant for a while. Razz

No problem. I've had my disagreements and corrections with him before, but he seems a nice enough guy in person. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4