• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worth getting Blu-ray player for anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknokrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A $2 HDMI cable is the same as a $60, it's all digital.
True, but it should be noted that some of those extremely cheap cables can have handshaking issues (I know a pair of $3 2m HDMI cables I bought from Amazon were absolutely worthless). For fairly cheap price but excellent quality, I always point people to Monoprice.

I'll second the notion that there are some issues with very cheap cables, though it is the exception rather than the rule, might be a shielding issue or something. Had a cheap HDMI that came with the 1st Gen Roku boxes a few years ago that had a slight loss of clarity and a very noticeably darker image than all the other HDMI I had to compare with. I had two of the Roku kits, and it was the same with both cables, so it wasn't just an isolated single cable issue.

And yes, those 1st Gen Roku kits were somewhat unique, they came with a full suite of cables, HDMI, optical, component, and composite. Too bad they were garbage...
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Veers wrote:

That said, the answer to the question "Worth getting a blu ray player for anime on a 23 inch monitor?" is probably "probably not." BD is really better on--heck, designed for--larger displays, so on a 23" monitor you're not going to get much out of 1080p video source.

Here's the thing though: is he going to have a 23" monitor forever? Probably not. We can debate whether 1080p is noticeable on smaller screens but there is still a strong argument to be made for future-proofing. Some day the original poster may get that large display but if he only bought DVDs now he may feel compelled to double dip on those titles down the line. If he buys Blu-rays now, he's covered for when he gets that large display.

This is why I suggested getting a stand-alone player, to make his eventual display upgrade more flexible.
DanielCook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
When I use my 23inch TV/monitor, my eyes are less than four feet from the screen, so the difference in SD and HD material is dramatic. Whether you're comparing 720p to 1080p with viewing distance is irrelevant in a BD versus DVD debate, DVD is always 480p even if it can hold a larger resolution image. Maybe if we had 720p BDs and 1080p BDs of the same anime on the market, but we don't, that's a debate left to downloading BDrips which is also irrelevant here.

Kruszer wrote:
Finally if your theoretical BD player is anything like mine, you will also have to factor in the cost of buying the cables to connect it to your TV since it won't come with anything but a power cord. spoiler[Cheapass Insignia bastards. Mad ]

That's not true. A good quality HDMI cable will definitely yield you much better results.

I ensure you, I work at Best Buy, and i've dealt with this crap way too many times where customers would come up to me and refuse to purchase the $75 monster HDMI cables along with their new Television set, stating that they are able to purchase an HDMI cable at the dollar store. This is a big mistake. To ensure the longevity of LCD televisions and plasma televisions, it is vital that you use a high-end HDMI cable. Cheap HDMI cables generally are constructed from low quality materials and lack quality control standards/workman ship and using cheap cables in the long run could permanently damage your television set. Monster cables, not only provide much detailed picture/audio and a faster transmission rate due to the 24K gold plated connectors and fibre optic inner cabling, but also provide the grounding and shock/short protection that a cheap cable wouldn't be able to provide.

I'd say stick with the Monster cables. Unless you want a fcked up HDMI port/television all together.
Xshinobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
To upgrade my anime dvd collection to blu ray? How much is the change in video quality and is it worth upgrading from my dvds?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
It depends on what the title is if Blu-ray's higher resolution and bitrate significantly enhances the picture. If it's something with heavy action scenes, the answer'll almost always be "yes"; if it's just two unmoving heads talking, then probably not. As a rule of thumb, I'd say leave the BDs to your new acquisitions and only double dip if the picture quality starts to bug you on your current possessions.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
for the average episodes anime. No don't waste the money.

the basic quality of DVD's carries the quality of the anime for most series. only a few movies could show an appreciable difference from DVD to BD.

if you plan to watch in BD I'd suggest you start buying them as opposed to DVD's but to repurchase existing DVD's into BD's simply wont be worth the cost.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
For me, there would have to be something wrong with the DVD release to make me want to buy a show for a second time. I usually buy Blu-Ray for new shows though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Xshinobi wrote:
To upgrade my anime dvd collection to blu ray? How much is the change in video quality and is it worth upgrading from my dvds?

In most cases, probably not. If it's a title with a great deal of definition or high-quality animation then maybe, but for your average series I wouldn't bother. So for something like "Advent Children" or a Ghibli film I would say yes, but for a typical show I would say likely not. At the very least I'd wait until after a show was released on blu-ray and then look around and see if you can get some opinions from others on whether they think the blu-ray quality is noticeable or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
This is like the third thread in a few weeks asking if it is "worth it" to upgrade to BD. It's a piss-poor title choice, too, since the title tells us exactly zero about the subject matter.

[EDIT: I agree, which is why I have merged this once-separate thread into the other most recent Blu-Ray thread. - Key]

People. How can anyone tell you if it is worth it to upgrade to BD? If I said, "yeah, absolutely, totally worth it," would you believe me? If I said, "nah, not worth it," would you believe me? Do your own effing research. It's not that effing hard. Watch something on BD and decide for yourself, for eff sakes. Getting really tired of this dumb topic. Can anyone tell? Rolling Eyes
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Watch something on BD and decide for yourself [...]

Yeah, but that would then make it a de facto blind buy, which is something that Xshinobi would apparently rather avoid. For Christ's sake, give the guy a break!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not talking about buying something. I'm talking about finding a friend who owns a BD player and a BD (any BD) and watching it to see what you think. Don't know a single person who owns a BD player? Fine, go to an electronics store and check out their floor models.* Point remains: you can't decide if something is "worth it" until you check out something with your own eyeballs.

*The point of all this being to determine if, generally, you find BDs to be worthwhile. If you like Title A in BD, then that may be an indicator that BD titles are for you (even though, yes, visual quality can vary wildly).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Always research if the BD is actually a good purchase, typically someone will have written if it looks like upscaled crap (Master Keaton, 3x3 Eyes) or is a proper new transfer (Cobra, Future Boy Conan). If you're going to be sitting 15 feet away from a 40 inch TV, you might not notice the difference so easily, but when you have a larger set and a smaller viewing distance, things become apparent.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, first, take this chart. I found on some guy's webpage, but I've seen it floating around the internet before. It shows the difference between screen size and resolution. In case you are wondering, now, a standard DVD has a resolution of 480p, or the blue line on the graph. So if you have, for instance, a 24" monitor and you are planning to sit 8ft away, then a DVD and a Blue-ray will look the same. If you go bigger or closer, you'll want something better.

Now, you can always upscale DVDs. I've seen upscales get a little pixelly at times, but generally they look okay. If you upscale the DVD to 720p, then you might find you don't need a Blue-ray.

And everything is dependent on your equipment. If you are listing with your [expletive deleted] laptop speakers, you're going to gain no advantage from the Superior sound of Blue-ray.

And lastly, if you buy a Blue-ray player, you'll never have to upgrade. Blue-rays are the end of the line, the next formats will all be internet-based. And if even if it confers no advantage now, it could in the future if you upgrade your to a bigger screen. And come on, the players aren't that expensive. I bought a Blue-ray player last Thanksgiving for $40, or a tank of gas these days. I'm sure you find them on cheap out there.

DanielCook wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
When I use my 23inch TV/monitor, my eyes are less than four feet from the screen, so the difference in SD and HD material is dramatic. Whether you're comparing 720p to 1080p with viewing distance is irrelevant in a BD versus DVD debate, DVD is always 480p even if it can hold a larger resolution image. Maybe if we had 720p BDs and 1080p BDs of the same anime on the market, but we don't, that's a debate left to downloading BDrips which is also irrelevant here.

Kruszer wrote:
Finally if your theoretical BD player is anything like mine, you will also have to factor in the cost of buying the cables to connect it to your TV since it won't come with anything but a power cord. spoiler[Cheapass Insignia bastards. Mad ]

That's not true. A good quality HDMI cable will definitely yield you much better results.

Actually, it is true. I generally dispise the Consumerist, but in this case they are right. HDMI is digital, the signal can be transmitted just as well through a coat hanger as a Monster Cable.

DanielCook wrote:
I ensure you, I work at Best Buy

Well...

\\No hard feelings, mate, a job's a job
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

DanielCook wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Kruszer wrote:

Actually, it is true. I generally dispise the Consumerist, but in this case they are right. HDMI is digital, the signal can be transmitted just as well through a coat hanger as a Monster Cable.

DanielCook wrote:
I ensure you, I work at Best Buy

Well...

\\No hard feelings, mate, a job's a job

your incorrect! the high end cables use real gold connections to reduce interference and increase conductivity same as the entire circuitry industry does on board pins. high end cables actually are better. problem is a ton of crap cables are sold as high end when they are little more than regular stock cables in a fancier packaging and an inflated price.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Across short distances, crap cables are fine. It's only getting into the longer distances where those kinds of features actually make a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5