• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
That was... him?! And I wondered who could that possibly be. Which is why I thought I'd missed that character earlier. Now that you said it, it does look more like him. Well, I'm generally bad at recognising faces Razz
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show after the second episode because I just grew annoyed at how the animation reminds of some really (putting it nicely) crappy American animation like they have on Cartoon Network.
braves

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
I dropped this show after the second episode because I just grew annoyed at how the animation reminds of some really (putting it nicely) crappy American animation like they have on Cartoon Network.
I know you usually don't make much sense, but this takes the cake. Could you further explain this point? Animation-wise, the mannerisms of the characters and the framing of the cuts in this show aren't like any American cartoon I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I mean that it reminds of really crappy animation of America in general. It also reminds me of some distorted artwork from American comics. I am particular about which American animation I want to watch.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
I mean that it reminds of really crappy animation of America in general. It also reminds me of some distorted artwork from American comics. I am particular about which American animation I want to watch.

Could you speak less in vague, useless generalities and actually give an example of what similarities you are talking about? Just for starters, there is no one style of artwork in American comics and animation, so you'll have to be rather specific.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I finally got around to watching episode 5, and after 4 left me underwhelmed, 5 had me laughing my head off. I generally get insulted by stereotypical portrayals of spoiler["cults"], but this was so grandly over the top and played for black humor that I just got a massive kick out of it, especially the reference to the ubiquitous spoiler["Mayan prophecy" of 2012 (no such prophecy exists, but it's become a total cliche).] Looking forward to his entrance into a spoiler[English Conversation Club] next week. That should be a hoot.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Tatami Galaxy, and I can say, it along with Five Leaves, is one of the most enjoyable anime I have seen in quite awhile. The Artstyle is unique and enjoyable (despite what some others may say) and the show itself is a JOY to watch (also is it just me or does that diety/cupid guy remind anyone else of Jay Leno?)

But yea, I've watched the 1st 2 episodes, and thought both were just great. gonna try to watch the rest soon!
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 is probably the best installment so far.

We start off getting to see Watshi in the English Language Conversation Circle, and the engrish is just as funny as you would expect. However, as the episode develops it reveals deep (and shocking) connections to the other arcs. The finale, when Watashi goes out for drinks with Hanuki (the dental hygienist who likes to lick people's faces) reveals a lot about how Watashi feels about women - and we finally learn who the cowboy in the opening is (think Eden of the East).

I have to admit, I haven't found most of the Tatami Galaxy particularly funny. But this episode is flat out hilarious, and I recommend anyone who is on the fence about the series (or even if they've already decided to drop it) to give it one more episode - you won't be disappointed.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's important that I bring to your attention of how incredibly awesome this anime is, but most specifically this episode. Up until about episode 5, I was liking the show mainly for it's weirdness but now its like a necessity every week. If you have no region blocking, I seriously, seriously suggest you go on the FUNi site and watch this. Seriously, you are missing something amazing.

Wow, there was just too much to comment about in this episode, but so far this is my absolute favorite one.

[spoiler]-English club was just great. Especially the OZ News rants. "He loves giving others trouble! He spreads problems everywhere! He made my life terribly miserable! He is my friend but also my enemy!" I was like, "hey that was pretty good!"

-I love how one part of Watashi's dilemma is an inanimate object.

-The clinching thing of this episode was the entire second half. It's not like this show wasn't using deranged animation before but everything from the drinking match was like the animators took some serious acid while they were drunk. Another thing I liked is something I like in Western cartoons too when the focus will shift inside the body and you'll see the different parts debating something. "Use the emergency 'Ah, there's a cockroach!'"

-And yes, Watashi's peni...I mean, sex drive personification, Johnny, is voiced by mother freaking Noboyuki Hiyama. This anime just shot the hell up to EPIC.[/strike]

Last edited by garfield15 on Fri May 28, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dirtyweeabro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree with you anymore, garfield15. I was wondering what that mature content warning was about, but it was pretty clear in the latter part of the episode.

The episode was absolutely hilarious. I loved Johnny so much, haha. Poor Johnny, though. He's not going to 'come out' anytime soon.

And no Akashi this episode? :'(
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The way Johnny was introduced was simply fantastic. And where else can you have spoiler[horses nailing each other] in the background to disgust you? Nowhere! And that's why this is the best show this season. Wink The Kyoto Tower part took me off-guard and it suddenly justified "TV-MA" rating for this episode, though I wonder why they didn't do give that rating for episode 2. Anyways, FMA:Brotherhood stud Yoshimichi Kameda animated the Kyoto Tower part according to his twitter. Not as flashy as his other stuff, however.

Also, the animation right at the end with Watashi had an interesting sense of weight there that was nice to watch.

Speaking off adding weight to animating characters, Michio Mihara should be providing plenty of that in the next episode if ep. 4 of Kaiba is any indication. I think that's like the third time I've mentioned him on this thread, so he better not disappoint. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Watched up to episode 5 now, this show gets stranger as it goes on, but I like it, still digging the abstract art direction, and am I the only one that got sort of a FLCLish vibe from episode 4?
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not particularly. If by FLCLish you mean random and with plenty of sexual references, you should wait until you watch ep. 6 to do that comparison.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, episode 6 was the funniest bit of anime I have seen in a long time. Any time the screen went dark before a commercial break, I got to see my reflection grinning uncontrollably back at me. It was hilarious.

Not to sound like some yaoi fangirl (I personally prefer to 'ship girls), but "Ozu's love"...? Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking? *orders some brain bleach*
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't watched ep. 7 yet, I have to express slight disappointment that Mihara didn't do the whole thing himself. I guess those days are behind him. He did over 5000 drawings for ep. 4 of Kaiba, so I guess it was a bit selfish of me for me to expect him to do that again. Should still be a visual feast.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
About what Ktimene's Lover said... I don't agree completely, but I can see where he's coming from. The show aims at being experimental, of course, but... you know, everything has to be in moderation. Too much of a good thing. It's at times jarring. I guess I just prefer classic high-quality anime style (like KnK/new Eva).

Anyway, ep6 was quite funny, certainly livens up things a little. Loved the crisis meeting of different parts of the body.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7