• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sky Wizards Academy (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The creepy dude got to live! Hip hip hooray! Anyone else? No one? Interesting that Yuri was the one to defeat him though and Kanata didn't really do anything. Not often in a show like this you're gonna see the "main" villain being defeated by a side character while the main character helplessly watches from the sidelines.

Well I for one can be happy when the heroes manage to spare someone who has been taken over by some outside force. He mentioned whispers, even if does go bad again, maybe it is not all his fault even if he was a bit creepy beforehand. I think what might make one of the other characters winning rather than the main character is that he has to actually resist the urge to be stronger because he might end up corrupted like the villain.

Cam0 wrote:
P.S. Those wings sounded like a wet fart.

Oh god, I had the exact same thought and started laughing.

Episode 12 (finale)

What to say about Sky Wizards? It was super typical as light novel based anime, and at the same time kind of a condensed version of a lot of problems in that sort of genre. Some big problems with execution, but despite that it had a few interesting characters. Some scenes could have worked as character growth, but it was also kind of cheesy. For who I would recommend it to, maybe people who unconditionally love the sort of stuff you see from light novel adaptions, or people (mostly younger) who are new to this sort of thing and want something to get their toes wet. Seasoned viewers are not going to like this so much.

I have already gone into detail a few times that the series had some particular problems telling us what is happening with all the characters during the same time. Plot. Geez Rico's sister is kind of a nasty piece of work. Did we ever find out what it is she has against Rico and her group? Similarly she seemed really against Kanata too, going along with what the general people thought as a "traitor", instead of maybe some insight you would think would be afforded from her position. I will say that at Kanata was alright with his catchphrase of "didn't I tell you?", it built some character, but he was sometimes a bit even of whether he is smart or a bit dim like the cliché. He should have known at the end that Yuri liked him, so was he just playing dumb? Oh, characters were not bad, a bit underdeveloped in places, and I think Yuri was the right choice to pair with the Kanata.

As a rating, I will go with So-so. Sure it had some problems, but I don't think it actually became bad, just not worth much attention. There were even little bits of it I actually quite enjoyed, one of them was some of its music pieces. Specifically the ones that had "lala la la" (okay tone is not expressed well in words but it had some singing in it), I would totally like to get a copy of it and just listen to it to maybe calm down. And another was that music they played in every preview, I think they actually managed to get me excited with that music. Who did the music.... Daisuke Kume, the only other thing he has listed is doing the music for MoonPhase back in 2004, which I think also had some not bad music. Why can't I find literally anything else about this guy?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well I for one can be happy when the heroes manage to spare someone who has been taken over by some outside force. He mentioned whispers, even if does go bad again, maybe it is not all his fault even if he was a bit creepy beforehand.

Well at least it seemed like there is hope for the guy. Him having received flowers from Yuri kind of represented(/reflected?) that.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
This show felt alright and didn't really have anything stand out throughout its run. Though I guess a positive is that the characters never really felt annoying to me. I'm just really annoyed by the fact that the whole "traitor" issue was never explained until the end so I couldn't understand the animosity held towards Kanata the whole series.

I guess one way to put my thoughts on the show is that this felt like a poor man's Chrome Shelled Regios. In addition, the little mention of the Devil Beetles didn't really help the show improve because they decided to focus far more on the characters. I thought the premise of the beetles were more interesting and would have caught my attention more than the whole training/tournament aspect of the show. Honestly, this show is just of those seasonal harems which don't really impress (but at the very least it didn't disappoint me too hard either). Overall rating: Decent.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Letting the final battle just doing it's thing, I found that the whole series was much better than I had anticipated after the first episode.

It was refreshing to see the main character not flaunt over the students, have eradic nosebleeds and end up in embarrassing situations. Kanata was actually a really good teacher and a pretty cool guy.

I enjoyed that Fireteam E601 sucked, with Kanata having to teach them and through some neat character interaction and building we were able to watch their progression as not only people, but as a team.

Now there were a number of bad things, such as the battle animation and the blandness of the enemies... The creepy guy's final form was just a poor mans 'RE Nemesis' wannabe. However I thought the soundtrack was rather excellent!

I'm going to give Sky Wizards Academy a score of Good. I can see the potential of the series and it's most probably explained in much further detail in the LN's but it would have been nice to know the whole background story with the Devil Beetles and why the humans were forced into the skies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand. Why were the team being charged for the damage the creepy guy caused? Shouldn't he be the one on the hook for that? Also, not very good pr to go back on your word when you lose. Even if the 2-rank deal hadn't been made public (dunno if it was), it would make no sense to leave the winner of your rank tournament in the same rank as they started. What's the point if you can't even rank up in a rank tournament? You know, morale, and all that stuff. Plus being so cheap as to not actually give them (replacements for) the prizes they won.

Never did find out why normal forget wizards when the latter die. That's kind of the only reason I kept watching, to find out more about this world. But Yuri sending creepy guy flowers just left me shaking my head.

"Dear Creepy Guy:

While it's true that I barely remembered you existed until a few days ago, I now realize you were infatuated with me to the point of stalking and treason even before the bug whispered in your ear. You're still creepy as ever, but please enjoy this bit of false hope to string you along. Maybe we can do crazy again sometime. Can't wait! <3

Luv (platonic, LOL!),
Yuri"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't understand. Why were the team being charged for the damage the creepy guy caused? Shouldn't he be the one on the hook for that? Also, not very good pr to go back on your word when you lose. Even if the 2-rank deal hadn't been made public (dunno if it was), it would make no sense to leave the winner of your rank tournament in the same rank as they started. What's the point if you can't even rank up in a rank tournament? You know, morale, and all that stuff. Plus being so cheap as to not actually give them (replacements for) the prizes they won.

I think it was for the time they (Misora) caused damage to the residential area when the demon beetles attacked. You know, how she accepted that they were there in be able to cause a lot of damage, but not in being able to help save the day.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"

It is because that female leader is a huge b%&*#. Plain and simple, there is no other logical reasoning.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
It is because that female leader is a huge b%&*#. Plain and simple, there is no other logical reasoning.

The female leader or "Freon Flamel" is Rico's older sister and we all know how siblings are to each other. She also probably wants them to fail in-order to protect them from becoming Sky Wizards.

I only realised when she lifted the photo of both of them together towards the end of the last episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
I thought Rico's sis simply had something against Kanata. Obviously her grudge was related to Kanata being called "traitor". To me it seemed like she was just too proud to admit that a famously crappy team made unbelievable progress under Kanata's guidance. So she is just a sore loser.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
She also probably wants them to fail in-order to protect them from becoming Sky Wizards.

That is so dumb of her if that was true. She needs all the strong Wizards she can get to protect the city.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4