• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Well...that was alright for the finale. This show has been pretty packed with action so the final episode didn't disappoint in the action department. Roeko is really a strange character imo and I think the show overemphasized her more than some of the others.

Anyways yeah...the first cour is over. I enjoyed some of it and other parts not so much. Oh and I think Azuma's mom is pretty damn awesome in this show. Not sure yet to what to rate this so I might rate it after the second cour is over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Edit: wrong thread.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
That was great for a first season finale.

Yeah, we may have seen that certain falling rock scene from another famous anime movie, but still it was good watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Reoko really might have been a good guy. Her and her team had to face the horrid consequences of Migiwa's actions, even babies being killed for being able to use Buranki. Reoko's crackdown against Buranki users if anything was probably an act of protection. I was actually getting close to tears over what she had to go through, that she ended up in a very screwed up situation. Although she was losing it a bit with a rampage, you really could sympathise. And I thought it an interesting moment when we thought of Reoko as the witch or monster, and when Migiwa did something crazy I had a similar reaction of thinking what in the world is she Azuma's mother, pretty monstrous.

WE finally got more his sister, Kaoruko, and according to her it her time to be the main character, perhaps leading into the next season. She sure seems connected to the American group, but that is really not surprising as if you were paying attention you would notice that the letter Epizo was holding a couple episodes back was from her. Although the American team itself do not seem too bad, the man with them seems to be partially involved in orchestrating events.

End of the season, but this story is so unfinished before we get the second half. A lot has happened, but it all happened so quick and there are dangling threads that it kind of feels hard to even rate this. I think the animation style really started to grow onto me, and I think in particular there were some good choices of using style in places. Some really cool characters that I feel almost like going back to watch just to soak up the charisma of them.

I will rate the series as Good (7/10), it really hard to say anything other than it is good, I want to see more. The show does not deserve a certain amount of negative thoughts that it may attract. I have said it before, and I still think that the show is actually pretty similar to Kill la Kill, its use of style with characters, but it is like trying to make an opinion on that only after seeing the first half, which you cannot really do effectively.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

For starters, Asuka's sister is really hyper! LOL.

This was more lighthearted so far compared to the previous season although it's just the first episode. Sigh, it looks like the rivals and antagonists in this season are also jerks like the previous. Then again, that sets up for some big fighting soon.I'll look forward to that.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
S2 Ep 1
That was a fun return, and it was a clever move to sideline Azuma for the first episode of the season.
Kaoruko tends to act full of herself, but beneath the façade she displays that she in fact cares for her adopted home town, but just as well she abides that other Buranki groups are there own click regardless if the respective heart is a complete ass or not.
There is some blatant jealousy issues that Kaoruko displays when it comes to her brother as he was taken by there father to help him train to become the "chosen one", in the long run likely the siblings will have to reconcile (and the fate of there father is still ambiguous).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

I found the episode to be an awesome return to the series. First, I think the series managed to kind of perfect the animation style that worked well in the first season, specifically example was like what was shown with Epizo, a sort of focus on quick shots and visual gags. It does not worry too much about fluidity for general movement of characters and hides the frame issue that CGI anime can have. Maybe I will be completely off on the comparison, but it kind of feels similar to what RWBY does, the cab driver who only communicated through various grunts even felt like a similar character from RWBY.

Similarly there seems to be a lot of emphasis on the eccentricities of these characters, I was totally loving what I was seeing from the beginning with their various personality traits taking over in the cab. Like Kinoa leading the way with her bombastic behaviour including mocking Azuma's absence, but Kogane is right behind her and she defies her appearance of looking just girly. Shizuru is of course being weird, I loved her reading a guidebook on rocks, suddenly mimicking Azuma in mockery, and when food was brought out seemed to be begging for grass. And Hiiragi has mellowed quite a bit from earlier but still acts as a voice of reason, I even enjoyed the boob comparison joke with him, which I would normally hate as being uncouth but of course funny in how it lead to Kinoa with the punchline. But the biggest personality was Kaoruko who was stupidly awesome in her over the top way, it was funny when she accused them of wanting a signature from her, but totally lost it when it was revealed that her "wand" was actually a large marker, and she actually signed Hiiragi's Bubuki. Laughing

The kind of bringing it down with the douche heart guy was also an interesting touch, which makes me interested for what the rest of the season will do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

New upgrade for the season, the giant robots can use effects of the weapons they are based on. The hands able to turn into hammers, spears, and a rocket punch! Sickening that Guy has robbed most of the Russian team of their will, making them mind controlled by Maxis. Now I really hope that they can free those guys. At least it shows that Guy is not to be trusted. And some story with Karuko, where she seems to have some strange complexes with him, yet not be aware he has some plan she would not approve of.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
The problem with Karuko, DP, is that she doesn't view the uh... Buranki the same way her brother does. Kazuma basically thinks of them as people and wants to form relationships with them (as in, make friends with them). This is much like his mother appears to view them. Karuko, OTOH, wants to destroy all of them, just like she did when she was a little girl. Evil Guy is playing on this desire of hers. I suspect he only wants to destroy all the Buranki's he can't have his pawns directly control.

Karuko is basically being used, and she's too full of herself to see it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
One of the things that drives me crazy about this show is that the world seems to tolerate human powered Burankis fighting each other. Look at the destruction caused in Taipei by these stupid battles, when their real mission is supposed to be to destroy the so-called headless Burankis. And nobody seems to give a shit. So bizarre.

I've always had a strange relationship with this title. There's stuff I really like, including some of the humour and the visuals, but there have been aspects that have bugged me too and they tend to centre around the conflicts between the various humans. At least we FINALLY found out what has happened to Azuma and Kaoruko's father, although it's bizarre he was nowhere to be seen on Treasure Island at the climax of last season.

And are we ever going to find out what happened after Treasure Island crashed into the see with respect how Azuma and the others survived the crash and got off the island?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the things that drives me crazy about this show is that the world seems to tolerate human powered Burankis fighting each other.

Short of rolling out some rather large military hardware, I don't see how anyone that would be able to stop Buranki wielders without expecting additional collateral damage.

Also, the Buranki yielders were treated as local heroes likely in response to previous engagements against the Headless, so getting between them with sufficient force would mean risk hurting or killing the people you rely on to deal with Headless threats.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One of the things that drives me crazy about this show is that the world seems to tolerate human powered Burankis fighting each other. Look at the destruction caused in Taipei by these stupid battles, when their real mission is supposed to be to destroy the so-called headless Burankis. And nobody seems to give a shit. So bizarre.

The initial set up of the series was that in at least Japan they were hunted down, but otherwise relied on Reoko like she was their almighty hero. Taipei does seem to have a "school" for Buranki users and Karuko seems to be marginally popular with the locals. And some mention was made that Maxis' family wealth was able to have some control of the media coverage, so other forces are in play.

And one of my thoughts on Karuko is that she tries to make jabs at Azuma about him having a mother complex, but her dialogue seems to hint that she may have a father complex. She seems particularly miffed that her father left her there and she is dedicated to impresses this new father figure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
One of the things that drives me crazy about this show is that the world seems to tolerate human powered Burankis fighting each other.

Short of rolling out some rather large military hardware, I don't see how anyone that would be able to stop Buranki wielders without expecting additional collateral damage.

Oh I realize that there is no way to stop these morons from battling each other, I'm saying that nobody seems to care. You'd think there'd be at least protests or something. You know, people saying, "hey, how about sticking to your effing job and stop fighting each other you stupid turds." Something like that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well, at least we can understand Kaoruki's attitude a bit better. It seems like shortly after she and her father and brother landed on Earth, it was decided for some unspecified reason that it was better if she remain in Taiwan alone while the other two went off and did... stuff? It sounds like she never saw her father again. Yeah, I can see how being abandoned might make her a little bitter toward her bro.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
s2 Ep 3

I think it is safe to say that Kaoruko is about to get burned when she attempts to yield Entei.

Kogane learns the harsh lesson that vengeance simply doesn't bring people back from the dead which is a subsection of life simply being cruel at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6