• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Real Drive.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courbet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks alot for posting this fokku, I just finished episode one and have to say it is really awesome. Better looking than Macross and the rest of this season's series imo.

Ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and am still not sure what is going on, but am already intruiged and looking forward to episode 2. Question: Is the spoiler[ chief of the underground base in the white suit the same guy who 50 years earlier tried to save his diver friend by dragging him up on the cable? I have realized that the diver dude is the same guy as the old bloke in the wheelchair now, I am nto that thick, but I just couldnt quite place the guy in the white suit. thanks in advance.]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Subs are out in .avi but I think I'll wait for a HD release.

Oh thanks goodness. I'll be sure to catch it later today. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I was highly impressed with the first episode. I think this show has the potential to be one of the better ones in years. The cast is original and interesting, the score is great, the animation is of high quality, and the story is going in a very interesting direction. I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I don't know what was going on, but it was so freaking epic that I didn't really care.

This quote still applies even after watching the first episode subbed. Laughing

But even so, I'm still liking where this is going. The first episode was a great introduction to the world of RD, but I hope that the second episode begins to flesh out all the parts that were confusing or hard to understand. Really, though, it's the confusing stuff that I like at first because that's what keeps me interested and the show can be rather rewarding when it's all over.

Minamo was even more annoying now that I know what she was saying when she was introduced. Fortunately, she got less annoying as the episode went on. (Still a little chubby.) =P

@Courbet: Yes, it's the same guy AFAIK. Though I don't know spoiler[why he hasn't aged as well.] That's one of the things I hope episode two explains.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really understand all that much, although that is probably a hook to watch more and hope it gets explained. I really am not all that much into ethereal sci-fi like this (i like more gritty, better-explained, action-packed sci-fi), but it was so goddamn pretty that I'll keep going unless it gets boring. Though strange it was entertaining. My only complaint is that Haru's teenage helper had legs like sausages. Ok, realistic I can understand, but most teenage girls don't have legs like that Evil or Very Mad
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to the first episode since my internet decided to be bad yesterday, and I really, really like this so far. Minamo is a bit annoying, but I love Haru and I really want to know more about the world they all inhabit.

The only thing that I didn't care for was the soundtrack; it's kind of obnoxious and distracting, like it's trying too hard. The ending theme also feels really out of place.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Good first episode, even though I'm also one of the ones that had a hard time understanding what was going on. Anime smile + sweatdrop Quite an hour of mind trips if you ask me, since I can pretty much say the same thing about Kaiba's first episode. Wink And both were fairly visually stunning as well! Cool

Even still though, I think both AG and rainbowcourage said it well. Confusing, yes, but still highly entertaining and exciting as well, so it didn't matter. I'll be looking forward to seeing if all this gets fleshed out latter on as well, because I also think I'll be liking this quite a bit.

hako wrote:
The only thing that I didn't care for was the soundtrack; it's kind of obnoxious and distracting, like it's trying too hard. The ending theme also feels really out of place.

Even though I personally liked the soundtrack, I felt very much the same way about the ED. Definitely sounded quite a bit out of place. Hopefully the OP is better though.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how Real Drive hard to understand. Unless I missed something important, the basic sequence of events is spoiler[the incident where Haru/Hal becomes comatose, fast-forward some decades later where augmented reality has taken hold, Kushima has replaced his damaged limb/body since then and Haru/Hal reawakens.] We're not given a specific explanation about what triggered the first and recent events, but you have to leave a mystery for viewers to come back to.

I'm not impressed, though. Interesting concept, very good direction in those first six minutes and some slick animation are the obvious pros, but the story seems aimless and a bit bloated -- both figuratively AND literally.

Which leads me to say that I'm annoyed at the fanservice. This seems like a basic ploy to attract a more mainstream audience than what IG might usually get, but it seems more obtrusive than anything else; and, on a personal note, I don't find the fetishization of overweight people to be all that sexy. The panty and ass shots are eye-rolling, but what really takes the cake is the monitor conversation that almost made me turn off me player.

The characters don't strike me as particularly intriguing, either -- if anything, some of them are straight-out annoying. I didn't find Minamo as obnoxious as I thought I would based on the trailer, but I sure as hell didn't like her. On the other hand, her black-haired friend made me want to take an ice pick and stab my eyes and ears.

I'll give it another episode, but from general talk that it goes into stereotypical, melodramatic backstory, I'm doubtful I'll be sticking around.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
It was pretty, although I do hope some of the mystery is cleared up sooner rather than later, for example spoiler[how did he "dive" at the end there, was he just accessing a "cyber brain" function ala GitS? And I'm not sure if all the "wave" elements should have been as opaque as they seemed, or whether that was some sort of lost in translation issue, because even subbed they seemed to be speaking another language entirely. It was like the most "take it as it comes" elements of Eureka 7 and Dennou Coil rolled into one.. ]

Still, very pretty, kinda funny in parts, and the fanservice is hardly excessive (watch Kanokon, it'll desensitze you to the rest of the season's offerings).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I don't see how Real Drive hard to understand. Unless I missed something important, the basic sequence of events is spoiler[the incident where Haru/Hal becomes comatose, fast-forward some decades later where augmented reality has taken hold, Kushima has replaced his damaged limb/body since then and Haru/Hal reawakens.] We're not given a specific explanation about what triggered the first and recent events, but you have to leave a mystery for viewers to come back to.

I'm not sure whether or not everyone else was refering to the same thing, but this is pretty much what I meant anyways. The basic sequence of events was easy enough to follow, it was mostly just the premise and the world around it, not to mention the sheer amount of mystery this series is shrouded in that confused me quite a bit. But that should all be cleared up in future episodes though, I'm sure.

Quote:
Which leads me to say that I'm annoyed at the fanservice. This seems like a basic ploy to attract a more mainstream audience than what IG might usually get, but it seems more obtrusive than anything else; and, on a personal note, I don't find the fetishization of overweight people to be all that sexy. The panty and ass shots are eye-rolling, but what really takes the cake is the monitor conversation that almost made me turn off me player.

While I didn't think it was very excessive at all, which of course gives me the ability to brush it off pretty easily anyways, I still have to agree with you there. A series like this one doesn't need crap like that. None at all. I don't think it affected my overal enjoyment of it so far, but it still didn't need to be there. I'm definitely at least somewhat disappointed in I.G. for it, that's for sure. They should know better.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
...Wait, there was fanservice? o.o The most fanservicy thing I noticed was Holon's generic android ass-kicking, but other than that the episode seemed pretty innocent to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Innocent? What were you watching? Did you not see the awesome chubby chicks? Real Drive is awesome for that reason; I could care less if the story makes no sense and subsequently becomes a train wreck, the women have rocking thighs and chests.

Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
...Wait, there was fanservice? o.o The most fanservicy thing I noticed was Holon's generic android ass-kicking, but other than that the episode seemed pretty innocent to me.

... Numerous panty flashes and "camera angles" to get a few ass shots in aren't fanservice? wut

Anyway, just finished episode two, and I'm dropping this. I dislike to use the term boring as a critique, because it's vague and doesn't really tackle the work, but I have to use it here. The characters aren't interesting, there's no direction in the plot, pacing is slow without offering anything like good composition, atmosphere or character subtleties, too predictable, etc.

God, what a disappointment. IG seems to want to make more mainstream-friendly (I use that loosely) works, considering how utterly uninteresting Real Drive is and how cutesy Library Wars apparently is.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It's two episodes in. I don't care if you hate the show or not but don't even try and act like you can gauge the story accurately at this point. It took me at least six episodes to realize I hated Ghost in the Shell because it didn't really get directly into anything until at least that point. The first half of the episode wasn't even a new sequence of events. We've had Haru introduced and the very basic set-up done from episode 1 and then we got some Minamo background and saw her intro to Haru from her point of view. Then they fixed the hospital generator. Nothing has even happened at this point.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Is no one else amazed with this show then? Watching the second episode only further proved correct what I said after watching the first episode. I thought it was expertly done besides being a little slow in the beginning. Yes there are many things that have yet to be explained, but somehow Haru and Minamo seem to have a solid foundation as characters already. I don't know where the plot will go, and that is a crucial part of the show, but judging it so far purely by pacing, animation, music, and development I would say it looks very promising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7