• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
xxxHolic Kei.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
In XXXHolic (the first anime series) when she spoiler[stole Domeki's soul for some reason, which I forgot, and Watanuki went after her to get it back. As for how and when she started her crush on him, they never say.]
leoncloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
spoiler[She stole the choco cake out of Doumeki which he ate(or his soul) that Watanuki made, for Himawari. She did it cause she wanted to give Watanuki a valentines gift]
farruinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
It is too bad it feels like the season has been cut short, but I'm not sure it would be worth continuing if they're leaving out all of the Tsubasa crossover anyway. I would guess it's being addressed in the OVAs to be released this year.

A lot of people seem to dislike the animation style. I'm probably weird for saying this, but I actually like it. Very flat, low detail, but very clean at the same time. I'll agree that the body proportions are kind of wacky sometimes, but it seems very CLAMP-like to me and a fair reflection of the manga. I was, however, pretty disappointed when the pipe fox transformed into his nine-tailed form. The pipe fox was a very cool part of the manga, but it didn't feel flashy enough in the anime.
leoncloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yea they kinda went the get the story out ASAP route. To get in as much as the main plots as much as possible. Its not as detailed as the manga but got the points across. Im guessing they didn't tag in too much Tsubasa cause they want to keep the anime as stand alone as much as possible. Honestly the manga itself didn't have much new Tsubasa scenes, which you can easily get by just watching Tsubasa alone. Granted there is a few that is quite interesting but wont loose much but not seeing it. Whats most important of all is the new arc after Tsubasa Tokyo and xxxHolic Himawari. What comes after is a very big turning point and revelation for both sides of the story, and has major crossovers and scenes thats important to both universes.
Which i think the new OVAs would address. The animation is different, but overall not bad, at first i didn't like it either but slowly over time it grew on me. Honestly stick men style characters r not uncommon others like Tsubasa and Special A r too, just that xxxholic gave that extra xxx feel to it.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Anybody care to explain everything that went on during xxxHolic Shunmuki?

I feel like I've forgotten what happened in Kei but suddenly spoiler[ The guy from Tsubasa and Watanuki are alternate versions of each other? ], wtf.

Last edited by Alestal on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the OVAs are supplementary material for the manga they don't take into consideration people who don't follow the manga and just watch the anime like you or I. Sad
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well, this is disapointing. I guess your not really into manga either?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Not really no. I read a few (about 15 series on and off), but XXXHolic and Tsubasa aren't any of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4