• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Purported Dragonball Trailer Screenshots Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
kibou_no_seigi wrote:
Man, I know I'm gonna go watch it anyway. I just hope the characters stay the same personality wise, goku being carefree/ bulma a ditz/ etc..

I'll be a very disappointed if Bulma is portrayed as a ditz seeing as how she wasn't one in the series. She's clueless about fighting, sure, but she's the smart one of the series, not the dumb one. She looks like a tomb raider in this movie which fits her fine.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Emerje:Roshi wears the glasses so that girls can't catch him peeking,and damn it,my man Tequila knows how to rock some shades.

True enough, but from what I can tell it's just him and Goku in that scene.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
WHAT FRANCHISE!? Gee I don't know, the one that's been perpetually churning out video games, re-releases and world wide translations even before this Anime crap got huge? Bah I quit this bitch.

Hey, why stop there? Continue with the various merchandise like toys, TCGs, CDs,etc. Then there is the various One Piece crossovers in Cross-Epoch, and that ride in Japan. Various parodys in Gintama, Bo times7, etc. Also there is Toriyama's parody series in Neko Majin. But no we can't forget the upcoming DragonBall Jump Festa Special, or DragonBall Online, which are works which have thier story lines created by Toriyama.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Yeah Im totally sure that is EXACTLY what you will do.

Yeah, I'll do it. =D

GATSU wrote:

Hey, if you like the sound of crickets chirping at your theater, then be my guest! Laughing

Wishful thinking, ne? Of course you know that won't happen. Besides, I live around NYC. Fat chance.
Dalf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Hum... you know, I think this may sound a little silly and off topic, but Nerdorama.cl is a (proudly!) Chilean website, not a Spanish one.
I understand that you guys are trying to generalize, but hey, it was a great exclusive Anime smile
And the pics... ugh, I don't know exactly how big Dragon Ball was in the english speaking countries, but down here, in Chile (And in all Hispanic countries) it was HUGE. Dragon Ball blew my generation's collective minds. In our memories, is practically Holy and Untocheable.
So we, in general, are a lot less enthusiastic (that's how it written, right?) about the upcoming film than the regular anime fan that just "likes" DB.
Down here, folks, you just don't like it. You frickin' love it.

(And now, reading my post, it makes us all sound like psychos. Don't worry, guys, we don't bite! Razz )
Dalf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Hum... you know, I think this may sound a little silly and off topic, but Nerdorama.cl is a (proudly!) Chilean website, not a Spanish one.
I understand that you guys are trying to generalize, but hey, it was a great exclusive Anime smile
And the pics... ugh, I don't know exactly how big Dragon Ball was in the english speaking countries, but down here, in Chile (And in all Hispanic countries) it was HUGE. Dragon Ball blew my generation's collective minds. In our memories, is practically Holy and Untocheable.
So we, in general, are a lot less enthusiastic (that's how it written, right?) about the upcoming film than the regular anime fan that just "likes" DB.

(And now, reading my post, it makes us all sound like psychos. Don't worry, guys, we don't bite! Razz )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Eh, if the Japanese could tolerate the Death Note live-action movies, 'Merikuns could tolerate a Dragonball live-action movie. Laughing
MrVince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
Dalf wrote:

I've seen a few of the dragonball and dragonball z dubs in Spanish. One of the many Spanish language stations here in Los Angeles played most of the series. I have to admit the Spanish dub is pretty good! I think it's because the Spanish voice actors have an easier time relating to the series as Shonen has a lot of machisimo elements.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
Dalf wrote:
Dragon Ball blew my generation's collective minds. In our memories, is practically Holy and Untocheable.

>_>; I love Dragon Ball, thank you.

Some people have been fans for years, actually...

I know someone who has met Akira Toriyama before and is in general a huge fan of Dragon Ball. That doesn't mean that you "have" to have a negative perception of the movie just because it's coming out with real people/American/Hollywood. *shrugs.*

o_o Viewing Dragon Ball as holy, though... >.>; I dunno, that sounds a little creepy to me. I suppose, I'm the same way about Sailor Moon.

If they made a live action of Sailor Moon...*thinks.*

xD Man, but it's so not Dragon Ball, I wouldn't know how they would handle it... But I would probably see it.

I think I've seen a Latino dub of DBZ...I think I just disliked Freiza's voice, probably...
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
When did Master Roshi get his hands on Just For Men? He looks too young. Masters Looks more like his character from Buffy, Spike, than Piccolo. Why did he get the "X-Men" treatment replacing his old outfit with tight fitting black leather? The movie poster looks like it's for the next Tomb Raider movie. All those things aside, I'll still see it if comes to a theater near me. I like DB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Dalf wrote:
I don't know exactly how big Dragon Ball was in the english speaking countries, but down here, in Chile (And in all Hispanic countries) it was HUGE.
Yeah man,It had a huge cult following,long before the mainstream took a hold of it.In the late 80's,early 90's I collected all that I could that was Dragonball.

Japanese,Spanish and the French versions,I still have a ton of stuff in these languages.Anything I could get my hands on at the time.It was huge everywhere else,but the U.S.The U.S. got it last.I'm talking fully.Not the mixed history and the little bits of Dragonball that we got,that were like the 153 eps of DB,cut down into 12 and shown at six in the morning,and the Ocean Dub of DBZ that floated around back and forth from station to station throughout the 90's.Though,I did record those when they first came out.

Funimation,who was just getting on it's feet,did an alright job of bringing it over (using what they could of the ocean dub and then making their own dub.) You could tell they were noobs by their different VHS releases.The cuts and edits were funny too.I had all the source material from 6 years earlier so any kind of cut,edit or music change,you bet your ass I would be vocal about it.That "you'll like what we give you" bullshit didn't fly,and the purists that were here before the mainstream,let them know about it.Damn right it's holy,for the ones who followed it 10 years before Toonami and quick internet service.

So I can't wait to see what the **** Hollywood knows about Dragonball.I got a feeling there will be a lot of improv.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Where are Piccolo's antennas!?

The more we find out about this movie, the more I am frightened by it. I can't help but feel very unimpressed by Justin Chatwin's Goku-look. I mean... Goku is known for always keeping on a happy face, right? But in all these shots and images we've been offered, not once have we seen Chatwin smile. That's not right, is it?
Or has he really been made that emo high school kid we have been fearing ever since this project was announced?

God, no! Shocked

enurtsol wrote:
Eh, if the Japanese could tolerate the Death Note live-action movies, 'Merikuns could tolerate a Dragonball live-action movie. Laughing

Hey, hey, hey! This picture's audience goes way beyond the States. I think just about the whole world's eyes are on this. (I make a good example, living in Northern Europe.) It's Hollywood, after all. And well, because it's Hollywood, there are certain things we can expect from it, and they're maybe not that good things.
For example, they're probably not even trying to restore DB's don't-take-yourself-so-seriously spirit, but will make complete clowns of themselves for having tried to make a really serious, hectic, action-filled, apocalyptic (is that a word?) box-office hit. They will have tried too hard, that's for sure. At least that's what we've learned from previous comic/graphic novel adaptations.

Then again, maybe they'll surprise us? Positively? Maybe...? Okay, let's not fool ourselves, there's no way that's gonna happen. Everyone's gonna hate it. It's sad, but I really think that's the way it's going to turn out...
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Geez. Thinking of DBZ in some sort religious way is pretty stupid.

Now, Neon Genesis Evangelion on the other hand... Wink
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
o_o Viewing Dragon Ball as holy, though... >.>; I dunno, that sounds a little creepy to me. I suppose, I'm the same way about Sailor Moon.

If they made a live action of Sailor Moon...*thinks.*

xD Man, but it's so not Dragon Ball, I wouldn't know how they would handle it... But I would probably see it.

They did. It sucks and rules at the same time.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Do you mean the live action series in Japan?

I think at first I thought it was silly, but I enjoyed it as the series went on. Anime smile; Actually...when I noticed the changes, it was more serious on their normal lives rather than their fighting until the end of the series...

xD Yeah, I loved it in the end...

I was just thinking about an American adaptation, I was wondering who'd they would even cast, my brain fries up every time I think about it. xD And it would probably be a great deal of controversy. I don't even mean the fans...

Just the conservative families who may protest.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

I remember watching that one. I don't know who they picked up off the streets to play the roles, but they must have done it on purpose. If it's to the point that even my Japanese otaku friends who were watching it with me hated it, then it was pretty bad. I myself thought that the acting could have been a little better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5