• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find Tatami to be too "experimental" at all. :-/ I can see where people can see that aspect in Mind Game or Kaiba (haven't seen Kemonozume yet), but not in Tatami. It's really trying to balance widely accepted conventions for character designs on one hand and implementing new ideas for the backgrounds and overall visuals on the other.

Having finished ep. 7, I guess I was underwhelmed on the animation side. Mihara was so daring with what he did in Kaiba and I didn't feel any of that here; even when I could tell that he animated a particular segment. I'm glad that the plot has been going somewhere interesting in the past few episodes (in its own way, of course), but there hasn't been anything inspiring from the animation itself. I guess I need to do what others did a few episodes before-- not to expect another spoiler[dance/sex/escape from the whale/montage] scene ala Mind Game and...just sit back and enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
I think it's actually a good thing from a storytelling perspective that they dialed down the visual weirdness a bit going from episodes 6 to 7. Episode 6 was about the male sex drive, a pretty well understood phenomena, so there was plenty of room to be creative and have the audience still get what was going on and stay connected with the character.

Episode 7, on the other hand, dealt with Watashi's fascination with the love doll, something most of us will have a much harder time wrapping our heads around. Flashy visuals might have distracted us from, if not understanding, than at least sympathizing with Watashi in what is probably the most poignant episode in the series so far.

Also:

1) I found it interesting that the episode began with a scene that provides a reason why Akashi would like Watashi. We've spent a lot of time in the more unsavory parts of the guy's brain, and it was important that we see a better side of him as well before we plunge into a story that has him spoiler[trying to steal another man's love doll and elope with it].

2) I loved the fortune teller in this episode, and how they broke the pattern that had been established with her (at least a little bit).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
2) I loved the fortune teller in this episode, and how they broke the pattern that had been established with her (at least a little bit).

It was more like they were poking fun at the gag by just shoehorning her in randomly. I laughed so much at that scene.

Actually, I laughed through this whole episode, and the last one. I'm loving this little trilogy so far, I can't wait to see what happens with the third girl. I don't know how they can top the first two, but...well. Man, I love this series!
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Kaori...is creepy. I mean, really creepy. I did lol a lot this episode. (I think the addition of Nobuyuki Hiyama as Johnny is really making it for me lately).
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
So anyone else still watching this one? I really liked these lastest two episodes as there have been some nice developments and revelations.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
Everything was simply picture-perfect for episode 8 and I'm really liking where they're taking this show. Haven't watched episode 9 yet, but I was suddenly bummed out when I remembered this show is only 11 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
In contrast to Yuasa other two shows, I'm finding this one is gelling together as it goes along. The last two episodes show some really interesting echoes of earlier ones, and also layers some of the characters in ways both expected and not. (I also like the image of Johnny and his horse stuck on a hamster wheel -- it's a creative way to not only represent spoiler[Watashi jerking off, but to punctuate the stagnation of his situation.])

I think what may have put some people off -- and I know I still feel some annoyance over this -- is that the anime has apparently had one or two original episodes to the source material early on -- before Watashi started in on his triangle of "potential" women, there were only three chapters in the novel. With the creation of two "originals," this probably adds to the repetition in a negative way.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn wrote:
I think what may have put some people off -- and I know I still feel some annoyance over this -- is that the anime has apparently had one or two original episodes to the source material early on -- before Watashi started in on his triangle of "potential" women, there were only three chapters in the novel. With the creation of two "originals," this probably adds to the repetition in a negative way.

I guess that's the explanation for my dislike of episode 4 then. Whether that specific episode was anime original or not, the repetitiveness that came with the main plot device in the early stages really caught up to the series for me with that one. Great musical sequence there, though.

Now that I'm remembering stuff about earlier in the series, spoiler[we still haven't gotten anything else about Watashi seeing his older self (ep. 5), right?] Hmm....
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Whoa....just...whoa is what I need to say about episode 10

Holy crap. This is the Yuasa we know and love. Not that the other ones weren't Yuasa enough or anything but this is like art house mode. I love whenever an anime combines real footage with the animation and this was no exception. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

-And thus, everything comes to a head (See? Now FUNimation's title change makes sense right?). We have the truth that Watashi has been living an unfulfilled life in an endless series of 4.5 tatami mats. Everything from the previous episodes was brought up here (except for Akashi-san strangely enough though I think they're saving her from the last episode). Amazing how even in a parallel universe, Ozu always manages to screw over Watashi somehow.

-We also finally got an explanation to that future Watashi moment a few episodes back which had been really confusing me for a while.

Best anime of Spring 2010. Period. It needs more love.

(I bet Quarkboy finally had an easier job today since there were quite a few silent moments Very Happy)
Sovay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The newest episode was simply incredible. This episode made the whole show feel connected. I really loved how he came to the conclusion spoiler[ that even though none of the lives he had lived were that perfect rose colored one, they all had their own character and happiness to them. It was time he realized that life is never perfect and simply what you make of it.]

garfield15 wrote:
See? Now FUNimation's title change makes sense right?

After this episode, I really love the title, it fits perfectly. Now I'm really going to be sad to see this show end.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
So anyone else still watching this one? I really liked these lastest two episodes as there have been some nice developments and revelations.

I lost interest after episode one, but I will say this is a fairly original series. Just slightly too off beat for me to really enjoy.

And based off what has been said in the forum, I don't really think I would enjoy the rest of the series.

It's not a bad series at all, it just takes a certain taste for the genre.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching it again, and so far i'm loving this series. Even though it's an adaption, it's still prettymuch everything I love about Masaaki Yuasa. Maybe it's cause of Eden of the East, but the depiction of "Johnny" is making me laugh hard.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I am criminally behind on my Tatami Galaxy viewing (currently catching up so I can join the discussion), but in the meantime I wanted to pop in here and inform the Masaaki Yuasa fans that the episode of French series Wakfu he designed is now online for viewing:

http://www.ankama.com/fr/206-video-wakfu-serie/5938-noximilien-horloger-episode-bonus

Designed by Yuasa, directed by long-time collaborator (Animation director on Kemonozume, Kaiba) Eunyoung Choi.

And, as an added bonus for animationphiles, here's the uncolored key animation:

http://www.aantin.com/videos/wakfu_nox_plage.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
I had my doubts if Yuasa could pull this show off, I mean, Noitamina timeslot? College life?

But with episode 10 my doubts have been erased. What a fantastic episode and I now eagerly await the last one.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 10 and oh my goodness. Eunyoung Choi delivers. The color patterns reminded me of ep. 5 of Kaiba which she also directed, but this was in another league. Add her name to the "directors that need more work" thread.

Also, thanks for the links, Cloe. I've been curious to see that episode myself. Michio Mihara was also involved, but I don't know what his task was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7