• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noitamina Garners Timeslot's Lowest Rating to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coral422

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
I guess Noitamina's starting to lose it's "massive appeal to casual anime fans" around House of Five Leaves. Noitamina for me is a block that shows anime that would be feasible for a jdrama, or follows that kind of storytelling and plot at least. House of Five Leaves should have really killed that audience by it's not-so-mainstream plot and it's unappealing storytelling during the time it aired. Shiki was just "meh" for me. Even Tatami Galaxy and Kuragehime couldn't save this.

And for this season, Fractale did have it's Nadia-esque story, but pacing and focus really bogged the show down. Considering the 12 episode length, that kind of plot can't work.

Wandering Son could have been better, but a show about kids isn't something we see in Noitamina normally. I think that people were put a little bit off by this. And not to mention the difference of the manga plot, that puts the nail right in the coffin IMHO.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Sad, but in some cases, quite true. And no, this isn't a shot at moe, but when you compare a moe show to a regular show (such as a Noitamina show) the ratings are rather staggering.

A lot of people might think so but this is not true at all (and in fact the same applies to sales) Like I mentioned in my last post, most anime, i.e. the late-night kind, where most of the "moe" also runs, ALL have low ratings and despite having different ranking when you look at the actual figures they are all close to one another so noitaminA is practically no different from any other show ratings wise and in fact are actually better than most, moe show included. The only anime shows with big "tv ratings" are: Sazae-san, One Piece, Doreamon, Detective Conan, Dragon Ball Kai, Naruto.

Besides, ratings themselves are just not accurate. First, they are done with a set of household samples across Japan among the general audience, which is of course expected and reasonable. See: http://www.videor.co.jp/eng/products/tvdata/tam_service.html The problem is that they are terribly inaccurate for niche shows. The sampled households are likely not to contain the regular multi-anime viewing audience which is what we need in order to make good comparisons within such a niche medium. Secondly they use a metering device that people press to enable counting when in the living room or viewing room. For prime time shows that most people watch live, this is fine. But this doesn't work for late night and after-midnight anime which most people DVR rather than watch live. It also wouldn't work for people who record multiple shows. See this report by Dentsu
Quote:

In Japan, only live viewing is subject to the current TV audience measurement system. Recording—including, but not limited to
using a DVR while away or watching another program or viewing of recorded programs -- is not included in viewer ratings.

Again for example, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 had ratings that was nearly the same as Eden of the East, yet there is an order of magnitude different in video sales. In fact let's compare the noitaminA shows:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (3.56)
Mononoke (3.48)
Toshokan Sensou (Library Wars) (3.47)
Genji Monogatari (3.32)
Shiki (2.47)
Tatami Galaxy (2.27)

now let's look at video sales in average copies / vol.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - ~500 BDs
Mononoke - 12,515 DVDs
Toshokan Sensou (Library Wars) - 10,047 DVDs
Genji Monogatari - 922 DVDs
Shiki - 1,375 BD+DVDs so far
Tatami Galaxy - 5,665 BD+DVDs

Just to emphasise why I would simply ignore tv ratings via the way they are measured, as indicators of any kind at this point, here are more figures (from the asuki tv-ratings thread that reports weekly ratings from official sources)
* Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu averaged about 2.0% in ratings, since it varied from less than 0.8 to 3.0 depending on station throughout its season --- sold 8,512 BD+DVD avg/vol.
* Durarara seemed to hover around 1.5% since it ranged from LESS than 1.0% to 2.0% --- sold 18,273 DVDs avg/vol.
* Cross Game also hovered around 1.0+% (it's finale was 1.6%) --- sold 654 DVDs avg/vol.
* Dragonball Kai - roughly 8.0% - 10% --- sold 2,009 BD+DVDs avg/vol.
teknomantik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

now let's look at video sales in average copies / vol.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - ~500 BDs
Mononoke - 12,515 DVDs
Toshokan Sensou (Library Wars) - 10,047 DVDs
Genji Monogatari - 922 DVDs
Shiki - 1,375 BD+DVDs so far
Tatami Galaxy - 5,665 BD+DVDs

Maybe I'm missing it, but even at 5,000 yen for two episodes, those seem like abysmal figures, the lot. I'm not expecting anything to sell like Avatar or whatever -- this is anime, so that would be totally unrealistic. Can someone provide some context so we can view these numbers with a bit better sense of scale? (The other series at the bottom helped a little but shows like Dragonball Kai are things I'd expect to sell more than they seem to actually do.)
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
@teknomantik: This is a translation of a post trying to explain sales numbers.

I also would like to remind people that some shows are not dependent on DVD/BD sales. They profit through other routes.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Video sales for anime are a drop in the bucket compared to the boost to the original story (manga, light novels), ad revenue, CDs, games, movies, toys, model kids and other goods.

And that's not even counting product placements for the series that have it.

If anything, illegal downloads are probably the best way to measure the popularity of a series...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Video sales for anime are a drop in the bucket compared to the boost to the original story (manga, light novels), ad revenue, CDs, games, movies, toys, model kids and other goods.

And that's not even counting product placements for the series that have it.

Seen any figurines of Genji or Fujitsubo lately? How about the lovely Matsuzaka Hiroko? Do you suppose sales of Tale of Genji, a 1000 year-old novel, took off after Genji Monogatari Sennenki was released? (I bought two copies myself, of different editions, but they were in English, and one was used.)

Your argument applies to lots of shows, but not really to Noitamina offerings. One of the reasons ratings matter for Noitamina is that they actually do rely to some degree on advertising revenues. Product placements have been used in some shows, Hataraki Man being the most obvious, but I didn't see any bottles of vitamin water lying around in Fujitsubo's bedchamber.

On the other hand, I understand that A. Oryzae toys were a big hit after Moyashimon aired.

Why Genji fared so poorly on DVD is something of a puzzle. It was made by the famous director Dezaki Osamu. The anime was released as part of Japan's national celebration of millennial anniversary of Lady Murasaki's novel, thought to be the first novel ever written. Though beautifully illustrated with excellent seiyuu performances, the anime was rather slow-paced, just like the novel on which it was based.

Edit: Here's the rating that caused all this ruckus:
*0.9%(*1.3%) 03/24 25:55-25:25 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko

The 1.3% in parentheses is the value for the preceding week.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Obviously not every series is the same.

Also remember that more people rent anime than buy it in Japan. Why? Rentals are reasonable, but discs cost as much as a car payment.

In the case of Tale of Genji, they saved money (which in this case is the same as earning more) because there was no need to pay any royalties to an author or publisher on account of it being public domain.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

In the case of Tale of Genji, they saved money (which in this case is the same as earning more) because there was no need to pay any royalties to an author or publisher on account of it being public domain.

And that's why Disney does fairy tales. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5