• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kino's Journey: completely blows away expectations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
[...] they referenced an old Islamic proverb that's very similar to Kino's 3-day stay rule:

Everybody goes by the rule to treat all visitors like your own family for the 1st and 2nd day, but after the 3rd day that same visitor is as welcomed as a venemous snake.

A very interesting proverb. I never heard of it before. This one might apply to Kino along with something else: spoiler[ if Kino would remain for more than three days in a place she might want to remain in that place for good or a good traveler would be exactly the one that wants to move on, to seek other places and to forget perhaps (at times it's a good thing) about the places the traveler has seen before.]
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this thread drove me to try out this series and so far it rocks, thanks guys, it's hard to find recommendations for thought-provoking animes, which I eat up BTW Very Happy

When it comes to philosophical and psychological animes, I prefer to watch them in daily doses to 'absorb' the contents of each episode and reflect on the moral, and this so far proved to be the right way for me to appreciate this anime, like I just watched the second episode hours ago spoiler[and I'm still in a bit of a shock of what Kino saw in the end with my mind keeping replaying the series of events and what each depicted and then comparing Kino's actions with what I would do if I were in the same situation -I'm not the type who would trust easily and I kept thinking throughout the episode if those men would betray her if they regained their stamina and no, not even that ring gift managed to fool me Razz ]

Compared to Lain and Haibane Renmei -that I loved BTW-, Kino so far is easy to get into, fluid and fast-paced and not too vague when it comes to presenting the message that it wanted to deliver, I wonder if it by the final episode would end up oneing up Lain and HR.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Glad we've made more converts. Mr. Green

But what I really want to see now, after the series, are the movies, especially the new one where Kino's older. Awesome.
Pozzum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that this is my favorite anime the only one I have decided to buy and not just rent and barrow over and over again. I would of loved to be able to not know the amount of episodes in the series. When you add this and you have seen many animes you see how it makes you think what will happen for the rest of the series by very little episode. (at least for me I jump to conclusions). My personal favorite episode was the spoiler[One with the wise old man I'm not sure witch episode it was, but I love the ending where you ask yourself why she did not kill the old man. I jumped to because she was trained not to kill (quite a lot of irony (sending a former killer now trained not to kill to watch over the former killer that was trained to have no desire or want and kill him if he regresses(love the distraction of story to allow for feelings to also become the answer))) but I am wondering who jumped to she felt sorry for him, or she fell in love with him?]
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I thought this series was amazing. It's completely episodic and can be watched in any order, but each of the little stories are just great, especially that last episode.

The talking bike was a bit goofy though. I gotta watch it again.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I thought this series was amazing. It's completely episodic and can be watched in any order, but each of the little stories are just great, especially that last episode.

I liked Hermes. Without Hermes, Kino would have no one with whom to reflect upon the different countries and cultures visited. Hermes almost always had a different point of view, and some of the deepest conversations in the series were between Kino and Hermes, IMHO.

I bought the thinpack on impulse because I'd heard good things about it. It's one of my favorite series to watch again and again.

-Murph
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I bought it on impulse cos Right Stuff had it on their weekly special list for like 25 bucks or less.

Same with Now and Then.. another brilliant series.

And its true that their conversations were highly introspective, and doubtless the highlights of the series, but if I were her I'd be stopping to think "wait a second... I'm talking to a moped.."

At least it wasnt a volleyball named Wilson. Very Happy
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
After seeing a certain main character from a certain movie turn into a car, a talking motorcycle just doesn't seem that weird to me anymore. Smile

[OT] Frentymon is going to be so happy because with these posts and the resurrection of the His and Hers thread, it looks like the Discussions Thread is actually starting to get used.

Edited for some clarification.

Last edited by varmintx on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
After seeing a certain main character turn into a car

Elaborate
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
varmintx wrote:
After seeing a certain main character turn into a car

Elaborate

I'm guessing either the spoiler[Utena] movie, or Turbo Teen. Wink

Although Speed Buggy talked, too.

[EDIT: Spoiler tag added. ~Z]
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, I was thinking of Turbo Teen when he mentioned it actually!
I used to love that show when I was like 3. I feel old now Sad
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
I'm guessing either the spoiler[Utena] movie, or spoiler[Turbo Teen]. Wink

Although spoiler[Speed Buggy] talked, too.

DragonsRevenge wrote:
Oh my god, I was thinking of spoiler[Turbo Teen] when he mentioned it actually!
I used to love that show when I was like 3. I feel old now Sad

I didn't elaborate because it is a spoiler if you know what it's from--would all of you please put spoiler tags on your posts.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
Whaaa? It's not a spoiler. It's a TV show. The kid turned to a car to fight crime.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Smile All I could think of was Michael Jackson turning into that awesome sports car in Moonwalker. That rocked.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I finally finished Kino's Journey recently and I must say I was truly impressed all the way to the end. The ending was very satisfying and I liked the other flashbacks to Kino's training days which connected it to the OAV episode that I happeded to watch just before seeing volume 4. Simply awesome. I really liked the portayal of Kino's Shishou and how she played such a big part in Kino's life.

Alright now I can go back and read all the spoilers I skipped over in this thread. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7