• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NANA -- general discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
After finding another item on eBay with the same listing, I think I can confidently say that they are lying. These are definitely bootlegs. They might be decent quality bootlegs, but they are still bootlegs.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, the seller replied to me that this WAS licensed in asia in 2006. I did a little more research and it appears that some titles are, in fact, licensed in some asian countries before are here. Odex in Singapore is one company that distributes them. If Nana is one of those the issue then becomes whether or not their license extends to selling outside their region. If it does then their dvds are perfectly legal. Good to know, though how one would go about finding all that out is tough to say.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I would still say that anything that is region 0 is a bootleg and the one I saw with this marker is region free. A legit Asian release would have an Asian region code.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
While initially I loved Nana and thought Hachi was obnoxious, slowly I'm beginning to feel Hachi is the much more realistic character.

If scenes with Hachiko had no narration, I probably would think of her as a sordid character. It's because I can hear her point of view that instead, I consider her incredibly human.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I really love NANA for how real it seems, even when it is very soap opera-ish.

I dislike that today's pop culture keeps throwing us a right/wrong ideology. The good guys versus the bad guys. One of the key points of the realness in Nana is that most of the time there aren't no right/wrong decisions. Throughout the whole story both Hachiko and Nana are making difficult decisions and are constantly dealing with the consequences.

jetz wrote:
I hope it's not going to be a boring new season. I mean, for some reason I think that the characters getting married might make things less interesting. During the first season, the hook ups (especially Hachi's relationship with her boyfriends) made up most of the plot.

Murasakisuishou wrote:
Really? I thought they were sort of a background for the growing friendship between Hachi and Nana. It seemed like things were happening to one of the two just so the other could react to it via a soliloquy.

As Murasakisuishou said, the main story of Nana is the six months these two completely different girls live in the same house and build a really strong relationship. Everything else seems a prologue and epilogue to this. However if there is a second season, it needs to be completely different from the first one. I share jetz's concern over an animated sequel because the characters would probably feel less "real". Being young and broke is probably the biggest reason many people are able to connect to Nana and Hachi. spoiler[Once they start living the "high-life"], I seriously doubt I'll be able to relate to what they will go through.
retty

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
I've almost finished watching the anime, but am finding it harder and harder to continue with it because it gets more painful with each episode. spoiler[After Hachiko get pregnant, the show kinda went down hill. I stopped liking her after she decided not to abort it, it revealed a whole new unforgivable side of her character which is a shame because until then her story was the one I could relate to the most.]

Basically the show was most enjoyable while the girls lived together. I've been reading summaries of the rest of the manga that's out in Japan to see if it gets better, and it just seems to keep getting worse. What i loved about the show was how realistic it was, and the character interactions and how you could relate to it. But it keeps getting further and further away from reality and coming up with more and more stupid circumstances. I don't think i'll bother watching a secnd series.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:
I've almost finished watching the anime, but am finding it harder and harder to continue with it because it gets more painful with each episode. spoiler[After Hachiko get pregnant, the show kinda went down hill. I stopped liking her after she decided not to abort it, it revealed a whole new unforgivable side of her character which is a shame because until then her story was the one I could relate to the most.]

oBasically the show was most enjoyable while the girls lived together. I've been reading summaries of the rest of the manga that's out in Japan to see if it gets better, and it just seems to keep getting worse. What i loved about the show was how realistic it was, and the character interactions and how you could relate to it. But it keeps getting further and further away from reality and coming up with more and more stupid circumstances. I don't think i'll bother watching a secnd series.

I have to disagree with you on that point. I love how Nana mirrors the lives of everyday women, although most of us don't get quite that much excitement. I'd say it's actually pretty darn realistic spoiler[for women who are sleeping around without protection to get pregnant. It happenes every single day to millions of women around the world. If anything, I like that they showed some consequences for Hachiko, rather than ignoring that very obvious possibility. It actually seems less realistic to see shows where beautiful people do it like bunnies and DON'T ever get pregnant. Now all they need is a rash of STDs to sweep through the characters. Then it would really be realistic, but I suppose that cartoons don't usually get gonorrhea. Also, some fans would have been totally turned off if she DID get an abortion, so I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. I thought they did a pretty good job of showing how conflicted she was about the decision.]
retty

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
retty wrote:

oBasically the show was most enjoyable while the girls lived together. I've been reading summaries of the rest of the manga that's out in Japan to see if it gets better, and it just seems to keep getting worse. What i loved about the show was how realistic it was, and the character interactions and how you could relate to it. But it keeps getting further and further away from reality and coming up with more and more stupid circumstances. I don't think i'll bother watching a secnd series.

I have to disagree with you on that point. I love how Nana mirrors the lives of everyday women, although most of us don't get quite that much excitement. I'd say it's actually pretty darn realistic spoiler[for women who are sleeping around without protection to get pregnant. It happenes every single day to millions of women around the world. If anything, I like that they showed some consequences for Hachiko, rather than ignoring that very obvious possibility. It actually seems less realistic to see shows where beautiful people do it like bunnies and DON'T ever get pregnant. Now all they need is a rash of STDs to sweep through the characters. Then it would really be realistic, but I suppose that cartoons don't usually get gonorrhea. Also, some fans would have been totally turned off if she DID get an abortion, so I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. I thought they did a pretty good job of showing how conflicted she was about the decision.]

spoiler[I didn't mean it wasn't realistic that she got pregnant. It was the stuff that happened after the seemed to get silly, like her dumping Nobu for a complete bastard instead. I didn't understand her reasoning for that at all. I know she said she didn't want him to give up his dream and all but he didn't have to do that and she never gave him a chance. And then with Nana and Ren's relationship in the press, that seemed blown out of proportion. So now I'm really only interested in Nana's story, Hachiko hasn't redeemed herself yet, and it doesn't look like she's going to.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I put this in the what are you watching/why thread a while back, but this thread seems more appropriate...

As for Nana I finished and loved it. They really could have ended it like that with some of those lingering questions. However, I do have some speculations about what occurred between the flashforward in the final episode and our "present day" nanas.

I think it's pretty evident thatspoiler[ Nana died. That said, Blast broke up and the rest of them went back to their other lives-- Nobu is called "young master" by Hachi several times, indicating that he went back to his parents' place and became the heir to their ryokan or whatever it was called. God knows what Shin does or if he ended up with Reira, but it's probably something that relies on his looks or charm in showbiz. Yasu probably became a lawyer.

Here's where my pure speculation comes in-- the little girl with Hachi was not called Sachiko but Satsuko. My guess is that Hachi somehow loses her baby and thus things with Takumi get complicated; Nana gets pregnant with Ren and has Satsuko, and after her death Hachi gets to raise her. That's the only reason I can think of for the name change, unless Hachi just went and changed Sachiko's name. Anyway getting to raise Nana's child is probably the only way Hachi would be able to come to terms with Nana's death, and it would also be an appropriate plot twist considering the extraordinary bond of the two women. Also, Hachi was wearing a wedding ring but the vibe was that something has happened to Takumi, but I don't know if he's alive or dead. She also presumably works in Nobu's household as a maid because of the way she continued to address him as "young master" unless that was a joke; however that would fit with the whole "Takumi is dead" scenario especially if she had not married him. ]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Interesting theory. The one thing I completely don't see however is the speculation about spoiler[Satsuki (not Satsuko). I am 100% positive that she is Hachi and Takumi's daughter, because she looks like a female version of Takumi. Also, I don't think she would really name her baby Sachiko, that's just a joke.]

Also, this is a manga spoiler, but spoiler[one of the latest chapters suggested that something is up with Hachi and Takumi's marriage, but that they are still indeed married. IIRC, someone was talking to her about whether she would get a divorce. So it looks like they aren't together in the future, but are still legally married, which means Takumi can't be dead. Of course, it's not clear where he is, since no one outside of Blast, Hachi, and Satsuki have appeared yet.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Also, this is a manga spoiler, but spoiler[one of the latest chapters suggested that something is up with Hachi and Takumi's marriage, but that they are still indeed married. IIRC, someone was talking to her about whether she would get a divorce. So it looks like they aren't together in the future, but are still legally married, which means Takumi can't be dead. Of course, it's not clear where he is, since no one outside of Blast, Hachi, and Satsuki have appeared yet.]

In the latest chapters (74), it's revealed that spoiler[Takumi is in England with his and Hachi's son Ren (their first child).]

What's about Satsuki spoiler[This name was suggested by Ren. He wanted to name the child after a flower.]

Eventually, Nana spoiler[she is alive, Ren is the one who is missing or dead]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
In the latest chapters (74), it's revealed that spoiler[Takumi is in England with his and Hachi's son Ren (their first child).]

What's about Satsuki spoiler[This name was suggested by Ren. He wanted to name the child after a flower.]

Eventually, Nana spoiler[she is alive, Ren is the one who is missing or dead]

Ah, I must not have reached that chapter yet. Good thing I don't care a bit about spoilers at this point, since I accidently spoiled myself about spoiler[Hachi getting pregnant and marrying Takumi] from Wikipedia (I was just trying to look up what Takumi's family name was...oops).

So then spoiler[Satsuki is Nana and Ren's daughter after all?]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

spoiler[Satsuki is Takumi's and Hachi's daughter, they have two children, Satsuki and Ren.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

spoiler[Satsuki is Takumi's and Hachi's daughter, they have two children, Satsuki and Ren.]

Okay, I was a little confused as to why spoiler[Ren would be picking out the name for a child that isn't his...unless you meant that it was the son Ren and not the band member (good grief, do we really need another pair of characters with the same name? :p) Also, don't the characters for Satsuki's name mean May 5th or some other date? I read that somewhere, though I can't remember where exactly.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Okay, I was a little confused as to why spoiler[Ren would be picking out the name for a child that isn't his...unless you meant that it was the son Ren and not the band member (good grief, do we really need another pair of characters with the same name? :p) Also, don't the characters for Satsuki's name mean May 5th or some other date? I read that somewhere, though I can't remember where exactly.]

The name Satsuki was pick out by spoiler[Ren who is the band member and Hachi liked this name, it was supposed to be the name for the first child but Hachi was still not aware of the fact that she will have a boy.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, thanks for clarifying Anime smile

I'm actually happy that spoiler[the first child is a boy, because I like it when things happen that go against reader expectations, which is something Yazawa Ai does very well.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8