• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: World's Dictators Transformed Into Moe Girls in Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I love anime and some of the cultural aspects around it, but this moe dictator crap is offensive.
I repeat my question. What is offensive about this?
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, people in the modern age still struggle with the concept of parody? Come on...
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, people in the modern age still struggle with the concept of parody? Come on...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It seems that there's quite a few in Japan's creative community that have just jumped off the sanity train. Transforming some of the most vicious dictators in history into cute moe girls. The whole thing sounds stupid to me. One of the most interesting comments on this comes from angelmcazares. He asked how Chinese and North Korean dissidents living in Japan feel about this. My guess is they'd feel the same as Chinese,North Korean,Vietnamese,and other dissidents in America would feel if someone did something like that here. Angry. Justifiably angry.
I hope someone doesn't translate this book into English and tries to sell it here. A book like this would be very controversial to me. After thinking about it,it seems the word "stupid" is too kind for something like this. The words "breathtakingly imbecilic" immediately pop into my head,although the immense idiocy of a project like this is so unbelievable that there seem to be no words in the English language or indeed any language to cover how unbelievably moronic and sophomoric a book like this is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I love anime and some of the cultural aspects around it, but this moe dictator crap is offensive.

It trivializes a serious topic. Personally, I don't have a big problem with it - I love wacky Japan, most of time. But I get where those who don't share my goofy sensibility are coming from.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It trivializes a serious topic.
Please elaborate.

I am quite sure I do not need to remind people that there has been tons of cartoon depictions of different dictators in history. How are these new ones from Japan significantly different and more offensive than those before?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
This is just stupid. Where is the toothbrush moustache?

Look closer. It was moved.

Moe. Come on. It's not like fans are looking at their eyes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

In my opinion this crap is celebrating bastards who have been responsible for millions of deaths. You already should know Mr. Nescio what is offensive about this. Don't play stupid.

Quote:
I am quite sure I do not need to remind people that there has been tons of cartoon depictions of different dictators in history. How are these new ones from Japan significantly different and more offensive than those before?

All cartoons that trivialize genocide are offensive, be it Japanese, American or from any other country.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
Blood- wrote:
It trivializes a serious topic.
Please elaborate.

Look, dude, if you don't find the idea of converting monstrous dictators who, collectively, are responsible for the deaths of millions of people into cute illustrated girls a trivializing concept, then bully for you. I guess that makes you all kinds of awesome. As I say, I personally am not up in arms about this. The goofy sensibility amuses me. But by the same token I am not affecting this douchey, "please explain" crap that you're peddling. Why not simply say that you don't find this stuff offensive and drop the "huh, me no get why people feel differently" act? It really makes you come off like a tool.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
When is the moe prophets of god series coming.
Crucified moe Jesus.
Moe Moses parting the red sea.
Watch out when they get to moe Muhammad Smile
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
To Blood- and angelmcazares

I am not trying to be some Internet tough guy, I want to understand people. I might also add that I likely live in a different continent than you, in a different culture and I might have a different concept of offensiveness than you.

angelmcazares, you are saying that these depictions celebrate dictators. Why do you think so?

To both of you, what does actually triviliazing genocide in this context mean? I am quite sure that this book does not claim that the dictators did not commit genocide. The book contains their biographies and even real photos of them, not just moe illustrations. If the book had text like "Hitler-chan killed millions of people, but it doesn't matter because she's so moe!", then I would say the book tries to trivialize genocide. I would assume, at least for arguments sake that the text is not like that. Could you tell me what is trivializing about the moe illustrations alone?

Edit: To me the situation seems like this: we are looking at the very same pictures, but you see something different than what I am seeing. That is why I ask you, what do you see?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
@ Mr. Nescio - I don't agree that the illustrations "celebrate" the bloody deeds of the dictators represented in the book, but as I've said before, the images trivialize the subject. When you draw a picture of a cute girl and say, "this is Adolf Hitler", you are trivializing the insanely bloody role that Adolf Hitler played. There is no intellectually redeeming element to taking this approach. It doesn't make us re-examine the subject of dictators in any kind of salutary light. It merely takes a serious subject and turns it into shits and giggles. I don't know where you are or what culture you come from, but I'm giving you what would be the conventional Western perspective on this.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wait, where's George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden moe yuri! Laughing

(What, too soon?)

...........Sure, why not? Very Happy
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
-_-; What's with all the 'Oh Japan' comments when America does worse all the time? Turn on South Park or Family Guy and watch them make Hitler some "good guy who got picked on by a Jewish kid" joke and "triviliaze" a ton of tragic events like the Holocaust or Columine. Stop actin' like drawing cute girls is any more offensive than the stuff those kinds of shows pull and singling out that this is some kind of "LOL Japan is so backwards, it's cute how ignorant they are" crap.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
@Mr. Nescio,

You may be perceiving this issue in the same regard I am, that the creators are using moe to drive people to read about the histories of those who they're portraying.

In one regard, I could see this as an educational enticement of younger people, which would be no different than using moe girls to discuss issues of safety, how trains in Japan work, etc.

Unfortunately, this type of methodology can come under fire because it's taking two "worlds" of fun and tragedy, if you will, and combining them can upset people.

Like Blood-, I don't see this a a huge issue, but I can be understanding of those who are offended by it, especially those who are descendants of families who experienced these atrocities first hand. Generation story telling has always been more influential of the facts than what any history book or movie can detail.

I hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10