• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised nobody else has commented on the finale yet.

Personally, I loved it. spoiler[Seeing Watashi learn to revel in his campus life (even if it isn't perfectly rosy) and lend a hand to Ozu after all that Ozu had done for him was enthralling. And then to see when Watashi met Akashi and have him admit it was love at first sight, it was a sign that he had changed. I also loved how at the end Watashi had transformed (so to speak) into Ozu for Ozu.]

This one is my favorite of the spring, and Yuasa worked his magic once again for me.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree it is an outstanding finale. Everything comes together wonderfully. spoiler[The protagonist learned some major lessons and finally started daring Akashi-san (she's my favourite character). It was also nice Ozu's true face and not demonic image "watashi" had.] A simply perfect ending for an overall excellent series.

Also, the OP and ED flip is the most successful one I've seen. It fits perfectly for the last episode.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I must say, it's really a shame that it takes so long to like this series. Only an episode ago I though to myself: "yes, this really is a great show".

There are things I don't like, and I almost dropped it near the middle.
I find the premise ridiculous. Following the life of a loser-type character because he looks for a rose-coloured campus life? Comic exaggeration, yes, but not one I like. The point is obviously to stop pursuing his fantasies and grab the opportunity that's been hanging in front of him (I think we got that from episode one?); and anyway, the "stop pursuing fantasies" part was better done in Welcome to the NHK. Thankfully, it stopped being as annoying as it was in the beginning, once I got into the series a bit more.

I can't bring myself to like the art and animation. Sure, it's imaginative, memorable, and allows the creators to experiment as much as they want. Sorry, but I prefer just high-quality art, without the weirder parts. That said, the series wouldn't have been the same (or possible at all) without it. So... it's an essential part, yes, but that doesn't make me like it more.

On the other hand, the structure is very, very clever (unfortunately, again, you can only understand that by the end of the series, because in the beginning it appears to be an annoying repetition). I liked a lot the way they handled all these different comedic situations, and it's definitely a fresh and original take on the whole college life thing. Ozu was definitely great, but I think the same could be said of the entire supporting cast.
Oh and, that final run sequence had a charming retro feel (because of the music) as if it was out of an old movie. And possibly the most epic moment - spoiler[Watashi saying that he's just "showing his love" to Ozu, with that face.]
Ah, it was a good journey. No surprise that I'll rate this higher than the rest of the season.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Try as I might I just couldn't help but compare this last episode to Mind Game. The whole "see the possibilities in your life and take advantage of them" theme was done perfectly in MG and in here it feels flat in comparison. I would have preferred if they had finished it off at ep. 10 since the delivery of the message was getting rather stale here. I guess, in the end, I couldn't make that emotional attachment to Watashi like I did with Nishi even if I could understand where the former was coming from....

Heck, there's even a running scene with the main character getting naked towards the end and boy did that make me remember something(spoiler from MG). Still, the creativity and overall animation quality on display throughout the series was still great, but I wonder when I'll see Yuasa get back to that level. Kaiba had him loose, but he didn't make sense towards the end. Tatami Galaxy had him attached to a light novel with typical anime designs due to some faulty reasoning that he'll bring in a bigger audience that way and he came out too...plain for him. I'm only on the second episode of Kemonozume so I can't comment on that, but with Mind Game it was definitely his own and it worked.

Meh, Tatami's still the best show this season. My expectations were just high (as they should have been).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Well, I must say, it's really a shame that it takes so long to like this series. Only an episode ago I though to myself: "yes, this really is a great show".

That's pretty much what I thought. Excellent ending, but I felt as if episode 1 to 9 were nothing but informative rather than enjoyable.

I liked the way they connected everything, and I thought it was worth putting up with the protagonist's pace. Yes, that pace was crazy, even more because my eyes feel exhausted as of late (summer, too bright, shorter periods of darkness).

Thus, I'd probably move it up two positions in my spring listing. Clearly, that's all based on how much I enjoyed the shows rather than judging by the quality.
onii_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
I checked episode 1 and I'd say its fine but I'm having a hard time keeping up on reading the subtitles, they talk too fast
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I found the middle episodes to be pretty weak, but the ending was just amazing to me. It had a moral that could appeal to me. Those little things that you do in life can really affect who you are and what you can become.

This series completely made up for Kemonozume, a series I thought was trying waaayy to hard to be unique. Those character designs were just off the wall retarded.
kornpone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
For those who happen to be curious, The Tatami Galaxy was not simply set in Kyoto, it is in many ways an absolutely spot-on depiction of the city and of student life at Kyoto University.

Take for example this blogger, who has been posting entries (with photos!) of places, dumplings, etc that appear in the series:

http://nyaho.site50.net/wp/2010/06/20/yojouhan-shinwa-taikei_kamogawa-delta_oohashi/

The big clock that rewinds at the end of most episodes? One of the symbols of the university:

http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/clocktower

The OP video (and perhaps the very premise of the story)? Surely inspired by the infamously rundown Yoshida-ryo, the university's nearly 100-year-old main dormitory building:

http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/sleep/yoshidaryo-japans-most-famously-decrepit-dormitory-179885

Even the quick shots of a sample food display in the last ep (when our hero is dreaming about eating something other than cake and spam) are not just from any restaurant, but rather from the university cafeteria, Renais:

http://kyodai.kawai-juku.ac.jp/special/plan/images/project-img9.jpg

You can, in other words, consider The Tatami Galaxy to be an allegory about student life in general. But at its heart, it's really a love letter to student life at Kyoto University in particular.

What a fun ride Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Watched all 11 episodes this weekend. BEST. SERIES. OF. 2010.

I loved it. Smart, funny, and entertaining. The animation was engaging and colorful and I appreciated how the story didn't treat me like an idiot. The symbols and repeating themes are like little Easter eggs to look for in each episode. Watching the main character's growth was a fun ride, and the last episode was so uplifting.

Started off as a 9/10, earned a 10/10 by the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I initially dropped it at the first episode, because it seemed like a style with no substance show. Later I finished it due to good feedback and found that it got better after the latter half and turned into a pretty decent show. Overall, I found it to be more witty than actually entertaining.
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Marked with spoiler tag just in case.
spoiler[The Tatami Galaxy is an anime that sets out to be a social commentary regarding the problems with setting lofty expectations.

The basic vehicle of the story is that Watashi will relive his two years of campus life with a different club on each experience. Along the way his life gets screwed up by Ozu, occasionally crosses paths with Akashi, and meets whoever else is in any given circle.

Unfortunately, while the differing clubs themselves can stop all of the situational repetitiveness, it seems to have become an excuse to let the characters remain stagnant. Akashi in the first timeline and Akashi in the last is defined as being a snark who hates moths, Watashi merely seeks a Rose-colored campus life, and Ozu simply remains a prankster.

So the characterization was non-existent, but at least their actions could be amusing to watch, right?

However, the characters act exactly the same no matter what situation they're in, calling into question the realism of their behavior. Now, one could make the argument that some people have a firmly placed personality that doesn't change no matter what happens. Which is true. But this is a criticism over their unbending behavior--and consequently, actions--not unbending personality.

In essence the characters are one-dimensional in both personality and actions. One or the other is fine, but both compounded together comes across as very lazy.

But fine. Clearly this anime never intended to have a cast or story worth caring about.

Or did it?

The climax to this show is a character-based one that ties in all of elements established previously and drives home the entire spirit of the show; on a purely directional level it works magnificently. Too bad a lack of sympathy/caring for said character--Watashi--absolutely wrecks any significance the resolution has, for a conflict that became all too obvious after the first three episodes.

The final straw is the quick empowerment Watashi is granted after his epiphany. Apparently having a lot more self-confidence and appreciating what is there can suddenly move someone from hopelessly adrift to swimming against the current. The Tatami Galaxy's demonstration of a new lease on life is hopelessly naive, and ironically goes against the set-in-stone fate tone set throughout the series with a malleable destiny one.

If there's one thing I'd give this anime, it's the intentionally inconsistent and very stylistic art design. It's just a shame that the story is both unengaging and not worth caring about, and my initial impressions of this show were actually quite good. The Tatami Galaxy was certainly unique, but turned out to be crushingly disappointing.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It's hilarious how so many of your comments about Tatami Galaxy are the same complaints I would make about Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (that it has some nice animation but the story/characters are extremely disappointing). And yet you gave Disappearance a 9/10 on MAL. Just different strokes.
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, my complaints about Disappearance aren't many but their significance would actually be enough to knock it down a score if I were going for a purely objective rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Metaflux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
Akito Kinomoto wrote:
Marked with spoiler tag just in case.
spoiler[The Tatami Galaxy is an anime that sets out to be a social commentary regarding the problems with setting lofty expectations.

The basic vehicle of the story is that Watashi will relive his two years of campus life with a different club on each experience. Along the way his life gets screwed up by Ozu, occasionally crosses paths with Akashi, and meets whoever else is in any given circle.

Unfortunately, while the differing clubs themselves can stop all of the situational repetitiveness, it seems to have become an excuse to let the characters remain stagnant. Akashi in the first timeline and Akashi in the last is defined as being a snark who hates moths, Watashi merely seeks a Rose-colored campus life, and Ozu simply remains a prankster.

So the characterization was non-existent, but at least their actions could be amusing to watch, right?

However, the characters act exactly the same no matter what situation they're in, calling into question the realism of their behavior. Now, one could make the argument that some people have a firmly placed personality that doesn't change no matter what happens. Which is true. But this is a criticism over their unbending behavior--and consequently, actions--not unbending personality.

In essence the characters are one-dimensional in both personality and actions. One or the other is fine, but both compounded together comes across as very lazy.

But fine. Clearly this anime never intended to have a cast or story worth caring about.

Or did it?

The climax to this show is a character-based one that ties in all of elements established previously and drives home the entire spirit of the show; on a purely directional level it works magnificently. Too bad a lack of sympathy/caring for said character--Watashi--absolutely wrecks any significance the resolution has, for a conflict that became all too obvious after the first three episodes.

The final straw is the quick empowerment Watashi is granted after his epiphany. Apparently having a lot more self-confidence and appreciating what is there can suddenly move someone from hopelessly adrift to swimming against the current. The Tatami Galaxy's demonstration of a new lease on life is hopelessly naive, and ironically goes against the set-in-stone fate tone set throughout the series with a malleable destiny one.

If there's one thing I'd give this anime, it's the intentionally inconsistent and very stylistic art design. It's just a shame that the story is both unengaging and not worth caring about, and my initial impressions of this show were actually quite good. The Tatami Galaxy was certainly unique, but turned out to be crushingly disappointing.]

I definitely understand your criticism regarding this anime, but I have to disagree. Perhaps your just expecting to much from a cartoon. Compared to some other Anime I've seen, this one (for me) hit a nice balance of providing thought-provoking ideas, but not to the degree where it became pretentious.
Maybe that's what you look for in Anime (not pretentiousness but deep, complex themes) so your interpretation is a legitimate expression of your opinion. I guess maybe we just have different expectations of the Anime we watch.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I guess it goes with the territory, eh?

I think the issue with this show is that the vast majority of anime fans are the denizens of a particular niche of commercial art consumerism--which I'm not implying is inherently 'wrong' or 'less-' anything, before anyone jumps on me--and anything that digresses from this niche gets hell for it. "If you judge a fish..." All I'm saying is that the 'bland' / 'tedious' majority appears that way only if you're expecting it to fulfill a purpose it wasn't actually intended to fulfill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7