• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's 1st Animated Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KradvonWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I know they are different mediums, but since the Dragon Crown review and game came out this week, just as a general thought, where is the outcry of objectification of women over shows like this, or Queen's Blade, or frankly any number of anime.

I mean a video game has one "questionable" aspect but is otherwise a great game gets quite a bit of criticism; on the other shows like this and queen's blade have no redeeming features, its literally a show about eye candy and putting women into questionable costume and having them fight or some other activity, but usually with little to no overall plot or anything really.

And for the record if they were going to make a show about women's wrestling El Pactio is a much much better show.

I couldn't agree with you more in this, actually.

I was really psyched to see a wrestling anime featuring strong female characters and some hotblooded competition. Then I see this promo - the beach ball-sized tits, the suggestive sounds, and the uniforms (Because that is what female competitors wear. Riiiiight).

My heart sank. I am utterly disgusted by how this show just seems to waste the potential it has to be a great sports anime. Evil or Very Mad

You haven't watched any "professional" wrestling shows before, have you? That is pretty much what they wear in something like the WWE. This is clearly based on the world of "professional" wrestling, not the wrestling you see in highschools or colleges (true wretling).
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Also, in professional wrestling shows, they're focusing more on the wrestling than intimate close-ups on cleavage. I'm not saying female wrestling is devoid of sexuality, but this anime is going to take as much advantage as it can of shots focused on bare skin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Also, in professional wrestling shows, they're focusing more on the wrestling than intimate close-ups on cleavage. I'm not saying female wrestling is devoid of sexuality, but this anime is going to take as much advantage as it can of shots focused on bare skin.

The Attitude Era was the opposite of this. I hate the Attitude Era, believe it or not. It was more about violence and shock value, than wrestling. In that era, women's matches weren't even real wrestling matches. It was just Bra and Pantie matches, Lingerie matches, catfights, rather than wrestling. In the New Generation Era, Bull Nakano and Blaze were actual wrestlers. Even Blaze bashed the Attitude Era's female matches/wrestler. The Attitude Era, as entertainment is good. As wrestling, it's only moderately better than it is now in WWE.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I remember those matches. They were even in the WWE video games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

The Attitude Era was the opposite of this. I hate the Attitude Era, believe it or not. It was more about violence and shock value, than wrestling. In that era, women's matches weren't even real wrestling matches. It was just Bra and Pantie matches, Lingerie matches, catfights, rather than wrestling. In the New Generation Era, Bull Nakano and Blaze were actual wrestlers. Even Blaze bashed the Attitude Era's female matches/wrestler. The Attitude Era, as entertainment is good. As wrestling, it's only moderately better than it is now in WWE.

In regards to the women's matches during the attitude era I feel you have over generalised the matches that took place, I agree that women like the Kat & Debra did the devision no favours but women such as Molly, Victoria, Jazz & Gail have put on some of the best womens matches in WWE - the real problem with women's wresting in WWE was diva search and hiring of models like Kelly this is when talent flew out the window and became overshadowed by fan service. Which then lead to poor character development causing less connectivity and shorter match time.

But I do agree with your comment that the attitude era was focused on shocks and violence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well damn! #3 Misaki Toyoda is hotttt! I don't usually even watch anime like this, but the animation looks good enough to make it worth it. Smile I can go for some good mindless fanservice every once in a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6