• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Winter 2024

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:46 am Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
It's not just clicks on the article, at least half the ensuing discussion has been about the title. You're all playing right into Kadokawa's hands by giving ANN more engagement!!

(But seriously, the ever predictable complaints that "worst" is not being used to mean "objectively lowest quality" are almost as tiresome as the implicit notion that there exists an objective measure of quality.)

My argument isn’t that it’s not objective but that it’s increasingly not opinion on what it’s stated to be. So few of the reviewers are watching shows they even think might be (in their opinion) the worst anime of the season that it’s become almost comically divorced from its title.

I seriously doubt any of the reviewers hold the opinion that there were no shows this season they would personally consider subjectively bad, but:

“I wouldn't call this bad…”
“Is Metallic Rouge the worst anime of the season? No…”
“Shangri-La Frontier is not a bad show.”
“The (still good) show that disappointed me the most…”
“As far as rom-com harem anime go, I think this one is better than most!”
etc.

Least Favourite Series I Completed This Season Despite Thinking It Was Pretty Good is a completely legitimate article but it’s not fair to blame readers for being confused because the title doesn’t match the content.

In my opinion even “Our Worst Anime of Winter 2024” rather than “The” would be a substantial improvement. Of course “Our” is accurate either way, so it mightn’t clear up much of the confusion, but it’d be less inaccurate since the article is explicitly not intended to provide an opinion on “The” worst of the season.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yup, [Gushing is] probably the only one sexualizing a grade schooler... With all the "ick" from this season's previews, I fully expected it to at least get a mention...

This is why you should really actually watch a show before commenting on it. Alice is never sexualized. And actually no middle schoolers are sexualized, only cartoons, which is quite a bit different. Even so, I appreciate that the ick factor, as you call it, will ruin the show for many, and that's cool. Again, there are 60 plus anime this season, you can watch or not watch anything you want.

However, the show beats many others this season in terms of being funny (Instant Death Cheat for heaven's sake) or having great characters (the Ring ecchi). This gets back to what the purpose of the article is. Gushing can't be called the Worst Anime of the Season because it isn't. That's proven by the fact that it's drawn such a steady, supportive crowd of viewers who don't care a whit about the ecchi content. It can certainly be called The Anime I Most Clearly Did Not Personally Want to Watch, and that's entirely valid.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
"...since many people still seem to fail to understand that all criticism is inherently subjective."

This is way overstated and overused as a concept, and is frankly lazy and a cop out. You can have objective standards as to whether a show is successful (or "good") or not. Most obviously, it's only valid, except in the most extreme cases, to critique a show based on how successfully it achieves what its own goals are. You should never criticize a show for what it isn't, or based on what you wanted it to be, or what you think it should have been. (An obvious exception is when it's actually sold through misleading advertising to be one thing when it's another thing entirely. Unless it's being done as a meta ploy of some sort, like Akiba Maid War, that sort of thing should always be called out.)

Judging things based purely on whether you liked them or not is not criticism, it's an opinion. It's valid as a reaction to something, as that implies a more personal, subjective take. This is why language is important; words mean different things and you should always strive to use the proper ones. It leads to lazy thinking otherwise and reduces effective communication, which is the whole reason we have language after all.

I'm fine with some people thinking I'm a humorless scold, but if Art is important, so is the way to you react to it.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with renaming this feature since clearly ANN reviewers have no intention of watching actual crap shows. Having Delicious in Dungeon turn up in a "Worst" list is just beyond stupid.

It's cool I watched some of them for you. I'm basing "bad/worst" on an average score lower than ~6.5 on AL.

Sokushi Cheat and Snack Basue are actually good. They never take themselves seriously, and the "on the nose" humor is nice.
Gekkan Mousou Kagaku is somewhat serviceable. A lot of cheese but interesting character designs.
Hikari no Ou is, well if you've seen season 1, it's more or less the same. Mostly, less.
Meiji Gekken: 1874 was fun, surprisingly. A budget Kenshin.
Saikyou Tank no Meikyuu Kouryaku, this had promise but became a slog and eventually spend far too much time in the dungeon.
Momochi-san Chi no Ayakashi Ouji, I fell asleep in most episodes. Classic shojou tropes, so if you like that, it might be for you.
Ishura, only having adapted 1 volume of the LN hindered it slightly but it managed to pull it all together in the end.
Metallic Rouge, we all know about this one.
SHAMAN KING: FLOWERS just as mediocre as the previous iteration.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:27 am Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
Adding rouge in there while it was really smart show that few will understand sadly.

Ah yes, the classic, "it's a really good show but you numbskulls are simply too stupid to understand it!" Gotta love it.

lol Nope you probably thought it was "boring or dull" Gotta love it.

Actually, nonsensical and sometimes poorly structured is closer to the mark. Plus here's a communication pro-tip: if you want to refute what somebody has said regarding one of your posts, it's never a bad idea to actually provide some reasoning.

q_3 wrote:
It's not just clicks on the article, at least half the ensuing discussion has been about the title. You're all playing right into Kadokawa's hands by giving ANN more engagement!!

(But seriously, the ever predictable complaints that "worst" is not being used to mean "objectively lowest quality" are almost as tiresome as the implicit notion that there exists an objective measure of quality.)

For me, your point misses the mark. When I see the title at ANN, The Best Anime of ______, I may not agree with some selections, but at least I know that the reviewers have actually watched shows that are likely to fall in that category. The same does not hold true for a feature called The Worst Anime of _______. I know for a fact ANN reviewers will - for intelligent and obvious reasons - avoid those shows like the plague. Therefore using a title like that is pointless. Calling it The Most Disappointing Anime of ________ isn't going to reduce the amount of bitching from posters enraged to find one of their favourites on that list but at least nobody will be able to legitimately claim that the title of the feature is ridiculous.

By the same token, I have no issue with something like Delicious in Dungeon appearing in a Worst of list IF the reviewer actually believes the show is bad. I would disagree with the opinion but that's what it is... an opinion. But when it's a "this show isn't bad but I found it disappointing..." then by definition it shouldn't be in a Worst of list. This is just how English works, folks.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:24 am Reply with quote
Here's an easy way to sum it up. We'd all pretty much recognize that someone answering what was "The Best Anime of 2024...." (especially in an article on a site like this) is completely different than the same person saying "My favorite anime of 2024 was...." A couple of year's ago Super Cubs was my favorite anime that year. It was not, however, the Best Anime that year. It was just super calibrated to many of the things I want from an anime.

It's like the difference between Best Anime and Most Popular Anime. (Although, as with Frieren, it's possible to be both.) That's because those are two entirely different statements promising two different answers. I'm not even sure how this is controversial. It's not an attack on the authors who wrote the pieces, it's a suggestion that the site editors or administrators just name the article appropriately because it's more helpful to the readers.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You're all playing right into Kadokawa's hands by giving ANN more engagement!!

Well, I have no animus towards Kadokawa so...OK. If that's true I have no problem with it. I don't see that as the ominous statement that it appears it was meant to be.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Here's an easy way to sum it up. We'd all pretty much recognize that someone answering what was "The Best Anime of 2024...." (especially in an article on a site like this) is completely different than the same person saying "My favorite anime of 2024 was...."

Oh, if only this were true. There are a lot of people (I daresay maybe even the majority of the viewing public) who either consciously or subconsciously proscribe to the "if I liked it then it's good" mentality. I've lost count of how many times over the years I've had to explain to people in these forums that "entertaining" and "quality" are not the same thing.

Oh, and as a general Moderator reminder: we have some people in this thread ignoring the forum rule about serial posting. If you're responding to two different posts, put that in the same post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and as a general Moderator reminder: we have some people in this thread ignoring the forum rule about serial posting. If you're responding to two different posts, put that in the same post.

Rolling Eyes I think that having two posts in a row sort of stretches the definition of "serial posting" but your bureaucratic exactitude is duly noted.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:
Oh, if only this were true. There are a lot of people (I daresay maybe even the majority of the viewing public) who either consciously or subconsciously proscribe to the "if I liked it then it's good" mentality.

Ha, well, sometimes hope wins over experience. Either that or it's (not so) premature senility on my part. Let's continue to fight for a better world though!

By the way, I love a LOT of stuff that's bad. I've made a hobby of it for 40 plus years. So I have no difference separating the two.

PS I've been posting a fair amount so if I'm the one serial posting my profound apologies. I'll bear it in mind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Key wrote:

PS I've been posting a fair amount so if I'm the one serial posting my profound apologies. I'll bear it in mind.

Yes, you have serial posted, you hopeless reprobate! Your callous disregard for the highly intelligent rule that it is better to cram the exact same content into a single post rather than commit the inexpressible folly of separating two different thoughts in separate posts marks you as a hardened deviant! Sure, some may argue that the "serial posting" rule was probably originally designed to discourage posters from stringing together 4, 5 and 6 posts in sequence but we will not tolerate your sophistry, you cad!

Wink
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quoth Blood

Quote:
...we will not tolerate your sophistry, you cad!

I am properly chastised for my reprobate ways, and will muse 'pon proper penitence for my sins.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Solo Levelling is (I haven't watched the last episode yet) my favorite anime of the season. This did not seem like the ordinary 'Omigod, I've been hit by a truck and hurled into an alternate world which operates just like an RPG' anime to me, rather the theme seems to be 'What if alternate worlds which operate just like RPGs really did exist and interact with this world, with passage possible in both directions?'. I like the politics of guilds and the administration system that operates in the real world--like the investigators who notice that somehow someone who should be E-rank keeps surviving missions that kill higher ranked Hunters. The most deadly opponents are often other humans rather than fantastical monsters--like the guy who uses Jinwoo and Jinho as bait to draw out monsters spoiler[then throws them under the bus.]. While Jinwoo has basically morphed into another person, he is fighting for a good cause, namely finding a cure in the labyrinths for his mother who is in a coma. And the other characters are fun--like Jinho, a rich but modestly talented Hunter who I can identify with much more easily than Jinwoo himself. Or Joohee, who I really hope won't give up being a Hunter, or Jinwoo's sister, or his old team leader who lost an arm on the disastrous first mission. And of course there's the mystery of who or what granted Jinwoo a resurrection and a second chance. How many other isekai series have these same elements (plus fairly awesome action animation?)? I wouldn't say this is one of the best anime of the season, but I think it definitely does not deserve to be considered one of the worst.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
By the way, I love a LOT of stuff that's bad. I've made a hobby of it for 40 plus years. So I have no difference separating the two.

You're talking to someone who counts The Fifth Element among his all-time-favorite LA movies and owns all of Queen's Blade that has legally been released on hard copy, so no explanation is needed here. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
milkyy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 am Reply with quote
Hokkaido Gals has been super enjoyable, I love how the girls get along, their personalities, and it's minimal drama + light fanservice. The male MC is a cutie also, and the setting is relaxing. I think it's one of the best slice of life romance/"harem" style shows in the last few years for sure. Definitely meant for a certain audience, but I guess it just clicks with me, it's easy to watch 3 or 4 episodes without realizing the time has passed, and most romcoms (oresuki, how to raise a boring girlfriend, etc) are usually a slog to get through for me. YMMV and all that, but it's a solid 7/10 in the genre for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12