• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also this probably doesn't matter at this point, but Youko never actually recieved a valid nomination and thus shouldn't be a part of the tournament. Key did a write up for her as an example of what a write up should be, but he never said he was nominating her.

'Fraid you're terribly mistaken about that nitpick. Here's the relevant line, which was right before her write-up, with the relevant words bolded:

Quote:
One example of the format expected, which should also be considered an official nomination, is given below. Please adhere as closely as possible to the formatting style shown, including the capitalization and font standards.

I've used that exact same wording the last four times (or more) that we've done these games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also this probably doesn't matter at this point, but Youko never actually recieved a valid nomination and thus shouldn't be a part of the tournament. Key did a write up for her as an example of what a write up should be, but he never said he was nominating her.

Odd I found this:
Key wrote:
One example of the format expected, which should also be considered an official nomination, is given below. Please adhere as closely as possible to the formatting style shown, including the capitalization and font standards.
Link

Edit---> lol, I guess I was a few seconds behind Key's post, but yea he did nominate her.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
I really feel like I'm just not getting it, so I want to ask for a simple explanation of Saber's development. I've read all the arguments for her, but some of the wording in the write-up has been stopping me from voting for her in previous rounds. I get that she gains emotions, but the write-up makes it sound like she becomes less efficient and more emotional, and falling in love with Shiro is inherently part of her improvement. In other words, it just rubs me the wrong way.

This is an honest question that will really help me decide who to vote for. She's gotten this far pretty easily, so I have to be missing something. Could someone who has seen F/SN and F/Z please explain what it is that I'm not getting?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Key I think you made a mistake, I don't see Madoka.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
Madoka lost last round.

Will vote later, since I'm already late for work, but I just lost one of my final four with Shoukei for the mini-game Sad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

'Fraid you're terribly mistaken about that nitpick. Here's the relevant line, which was right before her write-up, with the relevant words bolded:

Quote:

I've used that exact same wording the last four times (or more) that we've done these games.

Ah, but you didn't bold it in the original post! Therefore it's still invalid!

Behold my master plan to get Youko disqualified, bwahahaha!

No seriously, I don't really care. Just pointing it out Razz
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Group C-21
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms

I said in previous rounds that this match-up is one I would have to give serious thought. And, if Watanuki's entire development from the manga was in the anime, he would probably have my vote now. But since this is not the case, I am going to go with Youko because her improvement is told in a more complete manner.

Group C-22
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal

I didn't vote for either of these characters last round but with Kenshin, that's only because he was up against a character who was pretty much his equal and whom I have a greater personal attachment to and who I would be voting for, had he moved on. But since Chiaki isn't here, I'll go with Kenshin because arguments for him did impress me in the previous round, even if it was never quite enough to sway my vote then.

--------------------------------------------------

Group D-21
Simon, Gurren Lagann

Going with the unknown because a) I've never thought Rue was a super strong candidate and b) what I know about Simon still makes me think that he is.

Group D-22
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Since I voted for Tsume last round, this is really a match between him and Saber for me. Initially, I had thought I might go the other way but I've been re-watching bits and pieces of Wolf's Rain and they've really solidified the reasons I nominated him and have supported him throughout the tournament. He is an amazing character and he definitely is worthy of making it even further than he has so far.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Madoka lost last round.

Will vote later, since I'm already late for work, but I just lost one of my final four with Shoukei for the mini-game Sad

I know I am still sad she lost.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty sure you knew she was gone Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Minigame results.
We've had a bit of a shake up in our leader board, and there's still time for more shuffling. It might even come down to the finals, and that doesn't usually happen.

Judging by the minigame, I hadn't expected any of the matches this past round to be nearly as tight as they were, and Chihiro had been favored heavily over Kyoko.

Also, grr, ties.

Vaisaga wrote:
How do you figure? In the end he gives up his violent ways and becomes a diplomat, getting justice for his people through peaceful methods.

Maybe because I forgot that happened. I was probably thinking more of FMA '03, but it doesn't matter now. I'll still vote him for Group B finalist, but unless Daikichi pulls off a surprise win, I'm going Fakir the following round.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah! I finished two of finals and my papes!!
I can vote early this week~ Very Happy

Group C-21

I'm glad Watanuki made it this far but, Youko is in a league of her own. Even though I skimmed through the series to have a good impression of her character, Youko's determination and leadership are worthy of her being in the Top 4.

Group C-22
Hikaru Shindou, Hikaru no Go
Still not convinced at Kenshin and I find Hikaru's sportsmanship a bit more noteworthy.

Group D-21
Simon, Gurren Lagann
No contest. Rue becoming nicer isn't as major of a development compared to Simon, who, I honestly think deserves to be in the Top 4. He went through quite the struggle to end up as leader of Team Gurren.

Group D-22
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
Might change because of Saber (even though I've only seen Fate/Zero); I'm sort of surprised Usagi managed to be in a 3-way tie.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I've read all the arguments for her, but some of the wording in the write-up has been stopping me from voting for her in previous rounds. I get that she gains emotions, but the write-up makes it sound like she becomes less efficient and more emotional, and falling in love with Shiro is inherently part of her improvement. In other words, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Saber was more rigid as both a King and a Servant, which was one of her flaws. She becomes more flexible and accepting not less efficient and more emotional. It never becomes in F/SN that Shiro is the man and she's the little lady if that's what you are thinking.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, One-Eye. That does clear it up a bit for me. Smile

Group C-21
I really like Watanuki, but the real strength of his arc is only present in the manga. If we were talking about the manga, this would be a much harder choice for me, but as it stands, Youko's arc is both complete and one of the best in the tournament.

Group C-22
I will go with the character I know (I only know Kenshin from the manga). As I stated before, watching Hikaru grow up and become an adult is a truly moving experience. I have not seen a stronger coming-of-age story in any sports anime, and it's certainly among the best out of all the anime I've seen, period.

Group D-21
Simon, Gurren Lagann
I love Rue to death and think her arc is very strong, but I think the execution of Simon's arc is better. It fits the tone of the series perfectly, and it's just a blast to watch Simon become a man. Showing Tutu to some friends recently, I realized just how much Rue was hurting at the beginning of the series, so this was the hardest choice of the round for me. I don't mind either of them going on, but I just like how colorful and exciting Simon's arc is and how well it fits the series.

Group D-22
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
I've had my issues with Saber's write-up cleared up and now understand why she's made it this far, but Tsume is one of my favorites in this tournament. I hated him at the beginning, but his speech at the end had me in tears.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Minigame results.
We've had a bit of a shake up in our leader board, and there's still time for more shuffling. It might even come down to the finals, and that doesn't usually happen.

The one time I won I only did because I guessed the winners (Kurau and Christmas for the duo) and #2 didn't (forget who it was). Was close as they get. And now I come back from real life drama to see this time I am in fact in last place now. Son of a diseased hooker. And virtually allo my picks are gone too so I doubt I'll even rise one spot now. Go from winning one to being the ass last in one. Talk about a swing. Have to look at who's left and compose new opinions on who to vote for tomorrow on my day off. And drown my sorrows.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Group C-21
vs.
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic franchise

Watanuki just isn't in the same league as Youko Nakajima. I fairly liked him, but the scale and quality of Youko's improvment from a snivelling and whining girl to a capable queen outclasses Watanuki's.

Group C-22
vs.
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal

I am voting for Hikaru Shindou, but I don't think it matters a lot. Neither has a big chance to beat Youko in the next round.

Group D-21
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Rue, Princess Tutu

Simon, I haven't seen Gurren Lagann, but it seems he is a better choice than Rue.

Group D-22
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero

I haven't seen Wolf’s Rain, but because marie-antoinette thinks that his improvement is better than Usagi, I am voting for Tsume. Saber's improvement is very unimpressive. She becomes far less cool as a character and she falls in love with Shiro, which is the very epitome of uncoolness. If your improvement allows you to fall in love with someone like Shiro, there must be something terribly wrong with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 76