• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I love the concept of this show, I really like some parts of it, but after watching it twice I simply cannot muster any personal affection for it, nor is my critical side overly impressed (though it's still quite good). I really like Yuasa's visuals on their own, but I rather feel that they've become something of a crutch to him, that is to say he uses it on all his projects regardless of how well or poorly they actually suit the story (and people still eat them up because they're "artistic", call me cynical if you must). In an era where more and more people are going to college, mightn't a more grounded, accessible art style have served the story better?

While the story delivers its central metaphor effectively, the characters really don't strike a chord as genuine human beings, Watashi feels more like a symbol of college students in general than any actual college student I've met, and most of the other characters are more or less static by necessity as a consequence of the story's structure. The plot tries to flesh them out through variable perspectives, but they end up being more assemblages of human traits and flaws than true characters, at least to my eyes.

As for the plot, inserting elements early on and then having them appear later in the story isn't automatically impressive storytelling, that's just making the audience feel like they're in on the joke. It's continuity fanservice, basically, and it's a manipulative trick that I've grown tired of. Also, while the ending was fitting it took far too much dialog to get there and much of the last two episodes was spent on general philosophizing rather than forwarding the central metaphor. How a character so clearly warped as Watashi can manage to be so eloquent is beyond me.

I'm sorry, but even though this series is most definitely good I just can't see it as the masterpiece everyone else seems to think it is. It's heavy-handed, it uses cheap tricks to feign depth (not that it doesn't have actual depth) and its characters are blatant mouthpieces, relateable through circumstance but certainly not on any personal level (in my eyes). 8/10
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I apologize in advance for any offense caused by the sardonic/polemic nature of the following.

MadShadow42 wrote:
I really like Yuasa's visuals on their own, but I rather feel that they've become something of a crutch to him, that is to say he uses it on all his projects regardless of how well or poorly they actually suit the story (and people still eat them up because they're "artistic", call me cynical if you must).
Indeed, and I might add that Scriabin's trills and 4th/5th oriented harmonic structure got really old by the 10th piano sonata, Dali's Hallucinogenic Toreador was merely beating a dead horse, and by the time he began The Castle, Kafka was too Kafkaesque for his own good...surely you get where I'm going by now? They're called idiosyncrasies and they're what make the outstanding artists stand out.

Quote:
In an era where more and more people are going to college, mightn't a more grounded, accessible art style have served the story better?
Interesting. I wasn't aware going to college made one fancy "more grounded, accessible" art styles, whatever the hell those are. Because no one at all likes Picasso, Rothko, Pollack, et al...especially not well educated college students.

Quote:
While the story delivers its central metaphor effectively, the characters really don't strike a chord as genuine human beings, Watashi feels more like a symbol of college students in general than any actual college student I've met, and most of the other characters are more or less static by necessity as a consequence of the story's structure.
Okay, let's take your surmise of Watashi's character. I believe in an earlier post I alluded to the whole 'judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree' thing. Case in point. If your objection to a synecdoche is that it is in point of fact a synecdoche...yeah. His name is I/me, or in other words: generic protagonist in first person narrative.

Quote:
The plot tries to flesh them out through variable perspectives, but they end up being more assemblages of human traits and flaws than true characters, at least to my eyes.
You know, I actually wrote an essay on the difficulties of defining an individual contra a sort of memetic colony with a democratically elected avatar. Perhaps we could get together and discuss your insights into this indelible line between an assemblage and a 'true' character?

Quote:
As for the plot, inserting elements early on and then having them appear later in the story isn't automatically impressive storytelling, that's just making the audience feel like they're in on the joke. It's continuity fanservice, basically, and it's a manipulative trick that I've grown tired of.
I'm afraid either you're being a bit too vague or I've lost my edge, because I can't seem to divine exactly what you're criticizing here.

Quote:
Also, while the ending was fitting it took far too much dialog to get there and much of the last two episodes was spent on general philosophizing rather than forwarding the central metaphor.
For shame! Sophiophilia in a story about college! That's certainly no place for philosophy and excessive introspection!

Quote:
How a character so clearly warped as Watashi can manage to be so eloquent is beyond me.
Read some Nietzsche. It's hardly uncommon.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but even though this series is most definitely good I just can't see it as the masterpiece everyone else seems to think it is.
Where is this 'everyone'? From what I've seen, you're in the majority.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
MadShadow42 wrote:
I really like Yuasa's visuals on their own, but I rather feel that they've become something of a crutch to him, that is to say he uses it on all his projects regardless of how well or poorly they actually suit the story (and people still eat them up because they're "artistic", call me cynical if you must).
Indeed, and I might add that Scriabin's trills and 4th/5th oriented harmonic structure got really old by the 10th piano sonata, Dali's Hallucinogenic Toreador was merely beating a dead horse, and by the time he began The Castle, Kafka was too Kafkaesque for his own good...surely you get where I'm going by now? They're called idiosyncrasies and they're what make the outstanding artists stand out.

Standing out is not automatically a positive thing, is what I'm saying. Is Yuasa's style unique? Absolutely. Laudable, even. But (a) if it doesn't suit the material that doesn't mean jack and (b) I have a nagging suspicion that if the direction/style accompanying the show's problem-laden writing were more conventional the fans would not be so quick to defend it. Feel free to disagree, my gripes with the art are a relatively subjective nitpick.

Quote:
Quote:
In an era where more and more people are going to college, mightn't a more grounded, accessible art style have served the story better?
Interesting. I wasn't aware going to college made one fancy "more grounded, accessible" art styles, whatever the hell those are. Because no one at all likes Picasso, Rothko, Pollack, et al...especially not well educated college students.
What I'm getting at is that this show is effectively putting up a barrier of entry with its alienating style, which I find frustrating because college is becoming a more universal part of life for people on both sides of the pacific. Oughtn't one of the very few shows that addresses this juncture try to be more universal itself? Again, this is a small, subjective point.

Quote:
Quote:
While the story delivers its central metaphor effectively, the characters really don't strike a chord as genuine human beings, Watashi feels more like a symbol of college students in general than any actual college student I've met, and most of the other characters are more or less static by necessity as a consequence of the story's structure.
Okay, let's take your surmise of Watashi's character. I believe in an earlier post I alluded to the whole 'judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree' thing. Case in point. If your objection to a synecdoche is that it is in point of fact a synecdoche...yeah. His name is I/me, or in other words: generic protagonist in first person narrative.
But you see, I find the very choice to make him a synecdoche to hold the show back from realizing its full potential. It's easy to lecture the audience by conveying everyday life through an archetype, far harder but far more rewarding to present reality through believable human characters. Presenting an archetypal character who can't be seen as human creates an emotional barrier.

Quote:
Quote:
The plot tries to flesh them out through variable perspectives, but they end up being more assemblages of human traits and flaws than true characters, at least to my eyes.
You know, I actually wrote an essay on the difficulties of defining an individual contra a sort of memetic colony with a democratically elected avatar. Perhaps we could get together and discuss your insights into this indelible line between an assemblage and a 'true' character?
That's an easy one. MOTIVATION. Every single one of the characters in this show might as well have sprung into existence as college students because that's the entire scope of their existence, it's their sole purpose to convey a metaphor about college life. They have no drive or backdrop beyond that.

Quote:
Quote:
As for the plot, inserting elements early on and then having them appear later in the story isn't automatically impressive storytelling, that's just making the audience feel like they're in on the joke. It's continuity fanservice, basically, and it's a manipulative trick that I've grown tired of.
I'm afraid either you're being a bit too vague or I've lost my edge, because I can't seem to divine exactly what you're criticizing here.
I've heard many fans praise this show by declaring that "everything has a purpose". No, everything has continuity. It's not the same thing. Is there still an arc? Definitely. Does the repetition serve a purpose? Sort of, it's part of the metaphor. But for the most part, it's an extended joke (albeit a clever one). Don't look at pudding and call it meat.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, while the ending was fitting it took far too much dialog to get there and much of the last two episodes was spent on general philosophizing rather than forwarding the central metaphor.
For shame! Sophiophilia in a story about college! That's certainly no place for philosophy and excessive introspection!
I thought people didn't like being spoonfed answers. For Watashi to spout his conclusions at us rather than allowing us to find our own answers isn't storytelling, it's preaching. Hell, the answer it took him an episode and a half to find was obvious after half an episode, and some of the tangents he went on led to him spewing other concepts and conclusions that, while understandable in theory, wouldn't have come naturally without him saying "I have the answer, and I'm going to tell it to you". A theme ceases to be a theme if it has to be explained verbatim to the audience just to get its point across. It's manipulative.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
MadShadow42 wrote:
Standing out is not automatically a positive thing, is what I'm saying. Is Yuasa's style unique? Absolutely. Laudable, even. But (a) if it doesn't suit the material that doesn't mean jack and (b) I have a nagging suspicion that if the direction/style accompanying the show's problem-laden writing were more conventional the fans would not be so quick to defend it. Feel free to disagree, my gripes with the art are a relatively subjective nitpick.
I have no argument re standing out; I didn't mean to imply that being unique was inherently good. Other than that, I don't really see why you feel the art clashes with the 'material' and I'm not so sure that Tatami Galaxy's writing is so diseased as you suggest. Also, art crit is necessarily subjective. The question isn't whether you have a bias but to what extent that bias is informed.

Quote:
What I'm getting at is that this show is effectively putting up a barrier of entry with its alienating style, which I find frustrating because college is becoming a more universal part of life for people on both sides of the pacific. Oughtn't one of the very few shows that addresses this juncture try to be more universal itself? Again, this is a small, subjective point.
When I look at Kemonozume or Mind Game, I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't consider Tatami Galaxy to be, at the very least, endeavoring to compromise with the average consumer. By the way, would you clarify what you mean by style (palette, lines, framing, all of the above?) and give me an example of a style you feel would be more suitable?

Quote:
But you see, I find the very choice to make him a synecdoche to hold the show back from realizing its full potential. It's easy to lecture the audience by conveying everyday life through an archetype, far harder but far more rewarding to present reality through believable human characters. Presenting an archetypal character who can't be seen as human creates an emotional barrier.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, Watashi's a vapid, cardboard archetype who spends nine episodes going through perfunctory collegiate trials with other vapid, cardboard archetypes until, in the last two episodes, he has an epiphany and gives a homily on what he's learned--to which the audience was privy circa Kamotaketsunuminokami's initial rant. Assuming the creator wasn't a total boob, would it be at all possible for the focus of the story to be on the environment and its effect on the student rather than the protagonist himself?

Quote:
That's an easy one. MOTIVATION. Every single one of the characters in this show might as well have sprung into existence as college students because that's the entire scope of their existence, it's their sole purpose to convey a metaphor about college life. They have no drive or backdrop beyond that.
I happen to know quite a number of terminally unmotivated people, but I guess being an actual person doesn't make one a 'true' character. That said, I've heard that college is a good place to figure out what you want to do with your life. Just to be clear, though I disagree that the characters are shallow and lifeless, I'm trying to suggest that even if they were, your argument doesn't significantly attenuate the strength of the show's premise.

Quote:
I've heard many fans praise this show by declaring that "everything has a purpose". No, everything has continuity. It's not the same thing. Is there still an arc? Definitely. Does the repetition serve a purpose? Sort of, it's part of the metaphor. But for the most part, it's an extended joke (albeit a clever one). Don't look at pudding and call it meat..
I can't defend fans, much less ones made of straw. (I'm being a little more blatant than inquiring as to where this 'everyone' is.) As for your argument itself, I don't think repetition is intended to be the main dish, as it were. Rather, it functions like mortar to give the discursive lines a sense of cohesiveness as a whole--similar, for instance, to Van Gogh's haystacks.

Quote:
I thought people didn't like being spoonfed answers. For Watashi to spout his conclusions at us rather than allowing us to find our own answers isn't storytelling, it's preaching. Hell, the answer it took him an episode and a half to find was obvious after half an episode, and some of the tangents he went on led to him spewing other concepts and conclusions that, while understandable in theory, wouldn't have come naturally without him saying "I have the answer, and I'm going to tell it to you". A theme ceases to be a theme if it has to be explained verbatim to the audience just to get its point across. It's manipulative.
It seems to me that the last two episodes weren't about the conclusions themselves but rather that Watashi drew conclusions--that he analyzed his space, his peers, and their respective effect on him. It's about the process and that there were results rather than focusing on the results themselves.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you kindly for having the courtesy to not talk down to me.

I'll admit, some of my gripes against the show come from a couple of acquaintances of mine who recommended it to me and the praise with which they lavished it, so I find myself addressing that praise even if no one here shares the sentiment. Pointing out places there could've been depth but weren't isn't really valid criticism, every book, film and show ever made has little opportunities for improvement here and there. I'm just venting my personal frustration. However, I still hold my other complaints to at least have some credibility to them beyond mere personal gripes.

I should clarify that I do think the characters of Tatami Galaxy are entertaining and likable (I didn't like some of them, but I could see why some people might). When I say motivation, I don't mean they all have to be proactive and driven to be realistic, that would be stupid. What I mean is that even people we'd describe as "unmotivated" actually have some sort of motivation for being that way, such as fear of failure or disillusionment with the end goal (or simple laziness). They need something at their cores to tie together their actions and decisions, that's what makes good storytelling meaningful and relevant to us as an audience, and that's where I find the characters lacking, feel free to disagree.

As for your idea that it's more a story of how college affects human beings than how human beings are affected by college (at least, I think that's what you're arguing), I'll counter that they are functionally the same. The issue of plausibility/relatability remains, particularly because we, the audience, are human beings.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
MadShadow42 wrote:
I should clarify that I do think the characters of Tatami Galaxy are entertaining and likable (I didn't like some of them, but I could see why some people might). When I say motivation, I don't mean they all have to be proactive and driven to be realistic, that would be stupid. What I mean is that even people we'd describe as "unmotivated" actually have some sort of motivation for being that way, such as fear of failure or disillusionment with the end goal (or simple laziness). They need something at their cores to tie together their actions and decisions, that's what makes good storytelling meaningful and relevant to us as an audience, and that's where I find the characters lacking, feel free to disagree.
Well I guess I don't see the importance of the individual characters' motivation for being college students when the show's premise is essentially 'why one might fancy a trip to college'. Let me know if I need to elaborate further.

MadShadow42 wrote:
As for your idea that it's more a story of how college affects human beings than how human beings are affected by college (at least, I think that's what you're arguing), I'll counter that they are functionally the same. The issue of plausibility/relatability remains, particularly because we, the audience, are human beings.
Not quite. I'm saying Watashi is understated, likely for a number of reasons additional to the point itself (the protagonist could be exchanged with just about any moderately intellectual college student without significantly altering either the premise or conclusion, and thus the particulars are more or less irrelevant).
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me, a work built entirely around hypotheticals amounts to a lecture rather than a story.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Modus vivendi it is, for I certainly didn't take it for a lecture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7