• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Enters Politics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:21 pm Reply with quote
A.Seeker wrote:
"Especially when the opposing side kicked it off with an unprovoked attack (Pearl Harbour)."

-Ah , that's just a propaganda myth ala " Iraq has WMD and is working with Al-Quada " . The attack on Pearl Harbor was actually the result of a 8-step plan by FDR and the U.S. Military to convince the isolationist American public to enter WW2 .

Link:
http://www.liberty-tree.org/ltn/dayofdeceit.html

Furthermore , the U.S. put an oil embargo on Japan

http://www.colorado.edu/conflict/peace/example/geor7269.htm

Now , while FDR's machiavellianism was justifiable is debatable , it seems to be a hard fact that the Pearl Harbor attack was , in fact , PROVOKED by the U.S. Government ...

Actually, FDR acted on the orders of his Illuminati masters. The same group who organized the contact with the alien observers who gave rise to Nazi Germany. They would have gotten away with it too, if their craft hadn't been shot down over Roswell, New Mexico. JFK found out about this, that's why he had to die.

It all makes perfect sense.
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:34 pm Reply with quote
well I'm prowar currently. hmm... bush anime style in a mech? that'd be cool and funny maybe one of us should draw that or a political cartoonist and send it out on the net etc Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Tuche, but these are JAPANESE politcal ads, I wouldn't put it past them at all to show them fighting whatever the Justice party is against. Maybe even a special apearance from Justice Gundam. Laughing

Emerje

But...that's an insanely cool idea! Shocked Some cheesy sentai thing...Mighty Morphin' Parliament, with their mech, the Justice Gundamzord! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:03 am Reply with quote
A. Seeker,
The Japanese were the worst criminals of the entire war.
More Chinese died in the war by Japanese hands then did in the entire European Theater, both civilian and military.
I don't care if it was a plot, Pearl Harbor let us prevent the gradual enslavement and genocide of the entire Han people.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:17 am Reply with quote
Woah,

Lets not get too off topic here...
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, and a senti parliament would sell well, but only if their were enough bishies for the fangirls.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:15 am Reply with quote
Well, they'd just do what Watsuki did with Hajime Saitou...drastically redesign all the parliament members so that they're all impossibly pretty (seriously, I saw a portrait of the real Saitou, and I hate to tell you there'll be no fangirls swooning over that mugshot anytime soon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:36 am Reply with quote
You mean this?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:43 am Reply with quote
Exactly. I mean, I still have a lot of respect for the guy from what I've read about him, but I think I prefer Watsuki's artistic licenses as far as looks go. Evil looking bangs are a lot more impressive than...ears. Shocked

Though, to be honest, taking a second glance at the image, he doesn't look as bad as I remembered, but still....
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:34 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
A. Seeker,

Of course, Hiroshima and Nagasaki remain the two biggest single war crimes committed in history.

The problem with these discussions, is that people lose sight of what their own side did. No major country in the world has clean hands unfortunately.

Quote:
gradual enslavement and genocide of the entire Han people.

Hmm, two comments.

1) Let's not forget that many more peoples than the Han's were endagered by the Japanese, in fact, all sino-asian and pacific peoples were at risk.

2) It's a pity no one stepped in to stop the gradual enslavement and genocide of the entire american aboriginal peoples.

I'm going to lock this thread soon since it has gone so far off topic, but it'd be unfair to lock it right after my comment (ha! last word), so I'll be locking it tonight.

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:36 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Actually, FDR acted on the orders of his Illuminati masters. The same group who organized the contact with the alien observers who gave rise to Nazi Germany. They would have gotten away with it too, if their craft hadn't been shot down over Roswell, New Mexico. JFK found out about this, that's why he had to die.

ROFLMAO!

That was good Smile

I'm not sure what's funnier, reading posts that make fun of conspiracy theories, or reading the conspiracy theories themselves.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:12 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
A. Seeker,

Well, there was that little matter of the Holocaust.

I'd like to see Bush pilot a Gundam provided that the Gundam has a Chevron logo on the side. Of course he wouldn't actually enter combat himself. As the saying goes, war is always a rich man's war and a poor man's fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Exinex wrote:
That's really interesting. Could you imagine going to army.com and finding a manga style soldier holding a gun? Or an animated Bush telling you why the war in Iraq is good? Ahh how our cultures differ.

No, but adjusted for American cultural realities, the America's Army game is in the same vein...and as far as the use of manga characters, in the West, we merely have a stronger tradition of using comics as commentary rather than advertising (see Doonesbury, Boondocks, Warren Ellis' "Transmetropolitan")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Of course, Hiroshima and Nagasaki remain the two biggest single war crimes committed in history.

I don't disagree that use of the atomic bombs was a horrible thing, but it's going a bit over to call them "war crimes." The only other option was to actually invade the Japanese mainland, which would have still caused massive civilian & military casualties, and possibly even been more devastating that the atomic bombs.

So you had two biiiiig bombs, or the WWII equivalent of Sherman's March to the Sea. Take your pick, but neither ending would've been pretty.
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Aaron, when I said more than the entire European Theater, I included the Holocaust. At least 50 million Chinese died due to the Japanese occupation. Tempest, the Rape of Nanking killed nearly as many as the bomb, while Dresden's firebombing killed more. I, of course know we did some questionable, if not immoral things during the war. I also remember what they did and refuse to feel sorry for anyone. We have no reason to apply these on todays systems, only China has a leadership from the era.

Now back to the issue of anime, I really would love a show that has war done as Mecha fights between world leaders. In this ring, George W. in the Patriot Axe, and in the other, Sadaam in his Baam.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3