• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Will We Ever Know Why Anime Get Cancelled?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I suppose you could say the arifureta cancellation left a sour taste in my mouth.

Don't know where you are getting your information about Arifureta, but I have seen no news saying the third season is getting canceled.

Your misinterpreting my post. Before arifureta season 1, there was a previous version of season 1 with a different artstyle which will never be seen or released, a teaser image was released but the author hated it and had the whole thing redone. Since the article included it as an example of cancellation, I used the word cancel.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
One other title i remember reading about that had a new project on the way but was cancelled was Vandread

Very few know this, even those who are veterans but Vandread was suppose to have a sequel series focusing on the Ibiki and Dita and Meia's Daughter but for some reason was quietly cancelled. The Original source was deleted but i did manage to archive one march 2001 magazine image of it.

http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/26080

Also here is an old forum that explains more info and where it originated: https://www.angelfire.com/anime4/spike558/rumours.html

It has basically become a lost media article at this point. Thought i should share it Smile
WeebRunningWild

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 am Reply with quote
#Droneku wrote:
I don't think Stars Align would ever comeback, is pretty much a Ragequit finale If I ever seen one

The creator is still interested in finishing the story, its just obviously, what medium and how to fund it
WeebRunningWild

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
I'm reminded of 10 count, which was cancelled due to production issues. Originally scheduled to premier in 2020, then postponed, then it turned into a movie, and then it got cancelled.
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Vandread

I never knew Vandread was going to get a sequel. I enjoyed that show back in the day.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
The cancelation of the Tenkai Hen movie really hurt Saint Seiya a lot not only because of the voice actors but also because of the poor quality of the Hades OVAs which recycled a lot of animation and barely showed characters movies when comparing to its Sanctuary arc which mindblew me when Shaka fought Saga, Shura and Camus all alone like a legit fight coreography.

While Kurumada did his own sequel to Saint Seiya, it seems he was more into retelling Hades alongside Teshirogi considering Next Dimension kept adding Specters from the past with litte appearances from the Hades vessel Alone. Even Kurumada's poor Pegasus Tenma was kinda waste of hero as he barely won fights when compared to Teshirogi's though that's my idea my feelings since it has one of the slowest serializations ever and Toei knew that he would revieve Seiya based on the Omega spinoff and Okada's sequel manga to Episode G and Saint Seiya in general.

Then there's the master of cancelations, Clamp, as I can't tell what Bee Train and Production I.G were planning when dropping Tsubasa in cliffhangers or what exactly needs Ohkawa to do to write the true ending to X. Then again, I am happy with how the X tv series ended even if Subaru's new and only reason to live died again in that version. xxxHolic got a solid ending but Production IG also didn't adapt the ending for some reason.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not upset about the Yuuri movie being canceled, because the tv series ended properly. Sure it would have been nice to see the characters again but their story got a proper ending.
I'll die mad about stars align though!!

I'm interested in how Yoi was a financial failure. If it crashed crunchyroll then alot of people were watching it legally, and I know there were lots of figures and merch made, was it just that expensive to make?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I guess I'm still confused as to how MAPPA would be able to prevent the Yuri on Ice movie from being made. It sounds like they were just the animation studio that made the series as opposed to being rights holders... that's the whole reason the title didn't make much money for their company despite being a big hit, right? So if they are not the rights holders, how come they get to decide if the movie gets made or not? Can't the rights holders just hire a different studio?

Isn't MAPPA the low man on the totem pole of the production committee?

If they are part of the production committee that could explain why they have a veto power. In true Japanese fashion, I think you need unanimity from all members of a production committee to greenlight something.
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess I'm still confused as to how MAPPA would be able to prevent the Yuri on Ice movie from being made. It sounds like they were just the animation studio that made the series as opposed to being rights holders... that's the whole reason the title didn't make much money for their company despite being a big hit, right? So if they are not the rights holders, how come they get to decide if the movie gets made or not? Can't the rights holders just hire a different studio?

This is my question too. Presumably YoI was a cash cow for the higher-up members of the production committee so they are more likely to want to see the movie made than MAPPA. Maybe they have a contractual obligation to MAPPA that prevents them from just ditching them and finding a different studio to do the animation? Otherwise I'm not sure why they wouldn't shop it around.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine the sheer amount of time since the TV series aired would make it difficult to bring to someone else. Sure, this series made a butt load of money, but it's been a solid 4 years since there was any real promotion for it of any kind. Plus with how stuff anime studios' schedules are, it's probably be at least another 3-4 years before the movie would come out if they did find financing. If you're an executive looking for a safe ROI, reviving this project probably doesn't seem very enticing.

Granted, stranger things have happened, and if there's a producer out there who likes working with Yamamoto and Kubo, maybe they could bring it back, or make something in a similar spirit. I wouldn't put too much money on it, though.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
Cancellations are sad, except that one time when that horrible looking Tokyo Babylon anime was cancelled.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I'd imagine the sheer amount of time since the TV series aired would make it difficult to bring to someone else. Sure, this series made a butt load of money, but it's been a solid 4 years since there was any real promotion for it of any kind. Plus with how stuff anime studios' schedules are, it's probably be at least another 3-4 years before the movie would come out if they did find financing. If you're an executive looking for a safe ROI, reviving this project probably doesn't seem very enticing.

I disagree. I don't believe the passage of time has been long enough for the rights holders to believe there is no point in resuming the franchise. I have no idea what is preventing something getting made but I'm pretty sure it's not, "ehhhh, it's not financially enticing."
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I missed something, but what previously unreleased anime were now getting released on streaming? because as far as I can tell, that isn't the case? Or are these not new anime?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 12:34 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:

I'm interested in how Yoi was a financial failure. If it crashed crunchyroll then alot of people were watching it legally, and I know there were lots of figures and merch made, was it just that expensive to make?

It was financially successful, it's just that, because of how revenue is divided up within the committee system, MAPPA saw relatively little of that success in their own pocket. Other companies that had bigger stakes in the title, or got larger percentages from home video/merch/whatever other sales took the majority of it. So while it was a success for MAPPA, it didn't suddenly make them flush with cash.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
yeehaw wrote:

It was financially successful, it's just that, because of how revenue is divided up within the committee system, MAPPA saw relatively little of that success in their own pocket. Other companies that had bigger stakes in the title, or got larger percentages from home video/merch/whatever other sales took the majority of it. So while it was a success for MAPPA, it didn't suddenly make them flush with cash.

Oh ok, I see. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3