• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Fall 2k3 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Once again I have overestimated the intelligence of anime fans. My bad.

-Z

Actually yeah. Some people who weren't sure about whether to get this series in the future or not after reading your "review" would have taken your words literally even if you put "warnings" like that in the very beginning (and if you actually read my posts, I already addressed that paragraph/line in my first post... So please learn to read yourself).

Why is this? Because that's how your review came across as. You wrote the entire review as pertaining to the entire series instead of the first episode. So please don't insult people about not being able to read just because the way you stylize your reviews is extremely misleading.

But anyway, like I said many many times already. I didn't come here to criticize the way you do your reviews... I am just responding to it and posting my observations that it's amazing how a review of the first episode can be so far off, to those who care, hoping that some people might want to watch it even if they read that review. This just evolved into something completely different. If what I wrote in the beginning came across as criticism, I apologize for being misleading in my own writing... So please don't start insulting others just because you think your writing is perfect and whoever who reads it differently is an idiot.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:54 pm Reply with quote
"Shows you that a review of the first episode really isn't a very good way to judge a series (yeah yeah you mentioned that already). "

I saw this. You completely blew off the disclaimer and acted like I never said that. I went back and re-read that episode review and you know, it only mentions what happens in the first episode, which has the emotional depth of a rain puddle. I stand by that remark. It says in bold type FIRST EPISODE REVIEW. I really don't care if you think other people are really so stupid as to think that something that clearly says FIRST EPISODE REVIEW in bold type in front of it is actually a review of the entire show.

Again, this is you desperately trying to justify that you liked the show and I didn't, and somehow you're personally offended by the bad review, and you're grasping at straws to come up with reasons why my review is technically invalid rather than politely arguing your differering POV. I'm aware that people think the show gets better after the first episode. Fine. You know something, people say that about EVERY SHOW. People say Noir gets REALLY GOOD after 10 episodes. So it's 4 hours of pointless boring filler until I actually get to something worth watching? Screw that. First episodes DO count, they DO leave me with a lasting first impression, and I will decide whether or not I want to watch something based on the first episode. I don't have time to watch 2 hours of something I don't like before it "gets good". If the first hour of a movie sucks, but the last hour is better, that doesn't make it a good movie, that makes it half a good movie with a terrible start. Oy. You people will go to great lengths to make sure EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN gets a positive review, and you know something, that IS NOT real criticism, that is NOT VALID criticism, and I'm really freaking SICK of anime fans who complain at the slightest hint that someone, god FORBID, didn't like a show they liked. It's a show. You didn't make it. You didn't write it. I'm not insulting YOU by saying I didn't like the show, I'm saying I DIDN'T LIKE THE SHOW, and that's it! Yeesh.

End rant.

-Z
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:59 pm Reply with quote
"But anyway, like I said many many times already. I didn't come here to criticize the way you do your reviews... I am just responding to it and posting my observations"

You just keep going, don't you? You DO criticise the way I did the review. That was your intention from the start.

"Wow, I can't believe how bad the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien review is at representing the series as a whole"

"And for the record, the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien game had a critically acclaimed storyline... Not that this little bit of info would have gotten through to you anyway"

"You see, that's exactly my point... All the other captions "captured" and "mocked" the animes quite well, but that one was plainly a *lie*."

"Anyway, I know this was a review for only the first episode, but I posted because seemingly EVERYTHING in that review was misleading."

"Yeah, didn't I already address that in my first post? I'm just voicing the fact that the review for the first episode is very misleading (I'm quite aware that the reviews for the other anime are a bit misleading too, but I am not talking about those because they are not nearly as bad as this one). "

"You watched the first episode and reviewed and dismissed the show as if the first episode was the whole series. That was my peeve."

Every single one of these attacks the review (in a totally invalid fashion because there's a BIG BOLD STATEMENT RIGHT BEFORE IT that says it's a FIRST EPISODE REVIEW ONLY and that you should make up your own mind and that shows do get better etc and so on), and you don't really talk about what YOU think of the show and how YOU respectfully disagree and how YOU think the show is the best thing since Hand Maid Mai or whatever other thing.

Don't mess with the bull, son, you get the horns.

-Z
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice points in that rant Zac but sadly I predict your talking to a Brick wall agien.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Every single one of these attacks the review (in a totally invalid fashion because there's a BIG BOLD STATEMENT RIGHT BEFORE IT that says it's a FIRST EPISODE REVIEW ONLY and that you should make up your own mind and that shows do get better etc and so on), and you don't really talk about what YOU think of the show and how YOU respectfully disagree and how YOU think the show is the best thing since Hand Maid Mai or whatever other thing.

You might as will put in font size 35 and blood red. Razz A nice roundup though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
But anyway, like I said many many times already. I didn't come here to criticize the way you do your reviews... I am just responding to it and posting my observations...

Responding in a critical manner, if I do say so myself.

darkhunger wrote:
that it's amazing how a review of the first episode can be so far off, to those who care, hoping that some people might want to watch it even if they read that review.

Really, if people were interested in watching a show, I would hope that they would base their judgement on more than just one review. Zac's (p)review is just one of many (as you pointed out in an earlier post). You don't agree with it, go and read another review and see what the general consensus is. I don't see why you're so hung up on this particular review. You're never going to find that everyone unanimously approves of something 100%. That's why people have "opinions." Your opinion's been voiced. Let it die.
pythos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"But anyway, like I said many many times already. I didn't come here to criticize the way you do your reviews... I am just responding to it and posting my observations"

You just keep going, don't you? You DO criticise the way I did the review. That was your intention from the start.

"Wow, I can't believe how bad the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien review is at representing the series as a whole"

"And for the record, the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien game had a critically acclaimed storyline... Not that this little bit of info would have gotten through to you anyway"

"You see, that's exactly my point... All the other captions "captured" and "mocked" the animes quite well, but that one was plainly a *lie*."

"Anyway, I know this was a review for only the first episode, but I posted because seemingly EVERYTHING in that review was misleading."

"Yeah, didn't I already address that in my first post? I'm just voicing the fact that the review for the first episode is very misleading (I'm quite aware that the reviews for the other anime are a bit misleading too, but I am not talking about those because they are not nearly as bad as this one). "

"You watched the first episode and reviewed and dismissed the show as if the first episode was the whole series. That was my peeve."

Don't mess with the bull, son, you get the horns.

-Z

darkhunger is a perfect example of why Rhetoritic should be taught in school.

drarkhunger, evey one of your arguments falls under Fallacy of Logic/Reasoning. You use appeals that ignore or avoid the issue.

darkhunger wrote:

Do I really need to point out how ridiculous this statement is, since you can't possibly have seen the "whole" series as not all episodes have aired (I believe only 3 of the 14 episodes have aired to date) and I seriously doubt you worked on any part of the production. We already knew that Zac's reviews were in no way ment to represent ANY of the series as a "whole" since he states in the introduction that "these are reviews of the FIRST EPISODE ONLY and are not to be taken as a review of the entire series," and went on to write a "First Episode Review" for each series.

darkhunger wrote:

Anyway, I know this was a review for only the first episode, but I posted because seemingly EVERYTHING in that review was misleading.

You just contradicted your original argument. You admit that the review was just on the first episode, but expect Zac's review to reflect the series as a "whole" when he only watched the first episode? If you can't see the illogic of this, I'm not going to bother.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:51 am Reply with quote
So...how 'bout that World Series, huh????

Guys 'n' gals, relax. After all, anime is our entertaiment, isn't it? Let's not get all worked up about our escape from reality. Sheesh.

However! I would like to pose the question, what's up with "Full Metal" appearing in two recent animes? Did they finally get that '80s-era Vietnam flick over in Japan or something? Thought that was kind of strange.

By the way, Zac, what the hell is a "raw?" Is that just untranslated stuff from Japan? How does one come to possess such a rare substance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:42 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:

By the way, Zac, what the hell is a "raw?" Is that just untranslated stuff from Japan? How does one come to possess such a rare substance?

I'm not Zac, but I'll answer anyway. Raw means an untranslated, unfansubbed, undubbed Japanese episode of a show. (I think I covered all my bases with that.) Basically, it's pretty much 'direct from Japan.'

How does one come to possess it? ANN doesn't like posting URLs of where you can download stuff....so..umm...try googling it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:54 am Reply with quote
Raws are the original Japanese eps with subtitles and all that good stuff. Raws can be found on... things not to be mentioned on the forums. :twisted:

Anyone wanna talk about any of the series mentioned in the review?

I for one am completly addicted to Full Metal Alchemist now. I somehow doubt though that it'll ever make it onto tv here in america with the issues in the first two eps.

Peace Maker I'm rather happy with. I've been a fan of the manga for a while, and so far it's exactly like the manga. >.> Sadly that won't last the whole series because... that just happens when it goes from manga to anime, and the manga isn't over yet.

Gilgamesh, ugly as it is, somehow has me acctracted to the character designs. I don't know why, but I just love them. Takes a couple minutes to get used to the lips though. Plotwise, I was really happy with the turn in plot that happened in ep two. spoiler[Demons and all that good stuff are always fun.]

Avenger I can do without. I noticed right away that the animation reminded me of Noir, and I surprised myself with guessing correctly that Ali Project did the theme. But the show itself I couldn't stand. It reminds me a lot of Shadowskill, which I haven't watched in years and am happy with myself from growing out of that genre.

I'm 2 eps into Planetes, and it seems slow, and plotwise boring, but it's still fun and enjoyable to watch. Seems like they have a great team behind it.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:15 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Raws are the original Japanese eps with subtitles and all that good stuff. Raws can be found on... things not to be mentioned on the forums. Twisted Evil

Raws do not have subtitles. Fansubs have subtitles.

Quote:

I'm 2 eps into Planetes, and it seems slow, and plotwise boring, but it's still fun and enjoyable to watch. Seems like they have a great team behind it.

I like Planetes. It's funny. I'm enjoying the plot so far too. (That companies are pretty much out for themselves and screw over the little people Anime smile ) Maybe they'll start shouting "Damn The Man!" or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:19 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Raws are the original Japanese eps with subtitles and all that good stuff. Raws can be found on... things not to be mentioned on the forums. :twisted:

Raws do not have subtitles. Fansubs have subtitles.

^_^; Opps, typo. I ment DON'T! Don't have subbies. >.>;

I never thought that an anime on garbage collecting could be so amusing. :lol: Course now that I think about it, an anime about regular garbage collectors may actually be funny.
pythos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:19 am Reply with quote
Isn't Gilgamesh based on a manga?

Could this be why the character designs are so strange? Or did they just totally ignore the style of the manga?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:24 pm Reply with quote
that Cromartie High cartoon is weird as hell, abosutely derranged. makes Excel Saga look normal by comparison.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:29 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'd been avoiding this thread because I still remember the awful comments after last season's preview. As I read the HUGE disclaimer at the beginning of the preview, I knew EXACTLY why he was putting it there.

I just don't get their complaints. I mean, it's not like other journalists watch a ton episodes before they review the newest sitcoms coming out in America. Confused

Anyhow, no matter how the preview or disc reviews sound, here at ANN, the fans and readers get the last comments. And that's thanks to the My Anime and MY Manga rating systems. Smile They even have a "good shows that you're not watching" chart. Now that's exceptional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5