• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation to re-release Ergo Proxy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Does anyone know if it was ever released in Japan on BD?

No it wasn't. It also sold poorly on DVD over there so they likely won't get it on BD.

That may help the chances of a BD release in the US though since the licensors likely wouldn't be so afraid of reverse importation.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

No it wasn't. It also sold poorly on DVD over there so they likely won't get it on BD.

That may help the chances of a BD release in the US though since the licensors likely wouldn't be so afraid of reverse importation.

Yea that's what I had thought. I took a quick look at the usual sites (amazon japan, etc) and didn't see anything. Interesting that it sold poorly in Japan that's something I didn't know. Now I'm really curious how Funi is going to release it. They would get some double dippers like me with BD, but it also might be too niche and instead they just might offer it in their classic line as regular DVDs. I guess it will ultimately depend on the license.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
[nteresting that it sold poorly in Japan that's something I didn't know.

The first disc had one episode and sold about 2,000 copies. The rest of the releases don't even register on the list of DVD sales figures at AS.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

For a relatively old anime now, fears of reverse importation should have fading away by now or have become unimportant.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this re-release I've been wanting to add Ergo Proxy to my shelf for quite some time, deffinantly gonna pre-order Funi's release when I can.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Fantastic, I picked up the first release but it's good to hear that others will be able to enjoy this masterful series. I recommend everyone with a taste for thoughtful, sci-fi drama to give it a try.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
My all-time favorite in the genre. Smile It's gothic and dark but very cool in its own way. If you liked Ghost in the Shell, Trinity Blood and Berserk, you will probably like this one too just like I did! :p I'll buy the blu-ray the moment it comes out. xD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
Arrrrgh, how could you defile the fine name of Ergo Proxy by mentioning it in the same breath with the putridness that is Trinity Blood??? Also, I loved Berserk, but I don't really see the similarity with Ergo Proxy which is far less visceral. I'll give ya the GitS comparable, though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
My all-time favorite in the genre. Smile It's gothic and dark but very cool in its own way. If you liked Ghost in the Shell, Trinity Blood and Berserk, you will probably like this one too just like I did! :p I'll buy the blu-ray the moment it comes out. xD

I was ok with Trinity Blood until the last two episodes but I hated Ghost in the Shell - I mean the TV series. I love the real work, the movie. I don't see how they relate to Proxy. For one thing, they're both too simple to a series that can successfully pull off "Oh, did I mention that [Blank] can occur in this world?" plot points.

Right, I've seen Ergo Proxy and I liked it. Technically, I liked it. It tried to hard to be dark and mysterious when one of the main characters is a three foot tall robot girl and the Proxy battles involved more than just simple battling spoiler[Extreme trivia game show- To the death!] but I guess it worked well enough. I thought Ergo Proxy's genre is {Philip K Dick}Ish Tech Noir which would put it more in line with Texhnolyze and Serial Experiments Lain than the action oriented end of Sci Fi.

I mean, action's action everywhere but Ergo's heart is in its head. Would I be willing to buy it? If the price is indeed right...
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10789-Ergo-Proxy-BD-Box

Japan is getting a BD-Box on 7/25. That is very likely the reason why the US isn't getting a BD release yet. Hopefully Funi will be able to release it on BD in the near future.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Arrrrgh, how could you defile the fine name of Ergo Proxy by mentioning it in the same breath with the putridness that is Trinity Blood???

Hey now, Trinity Blood was good until its ending had to go and screw it up... just like Ergo Proxy did.

At any rate, as I'm currently parsing out my "I love it... I hate it" DVD collection, this one made the grade enough for me to keep it.

It took two viewings to "get it", but I walked away with an appreciation of it despite the craptastic ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Arrrrgh, how could you defile the fine name of Ergo Proxy by mentioning it in the same breath with the putridness that is Trinity Blood???

Hey now, Trinity Blood was good until its ending...

For me, TB got really, really crappy LONG before the ending. Now, in fairness to the show, I was listening to the dub, which is usually a plus for me, but much like Love Hina, actually turned into a minus in this case. The show looked great (i.e. good production values) but I found the story and characterization weak. And that dub really bugged me.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
OK I am tired of this "tried too hard" BS argument that stems from 4chan. The concept that Ergo Proxy "tried too hard" to do anything beyond smack it's audience with 1 too many philosophical positions didn't really occur to me.

What does it mean to "try too hard to be dark, etc."? I want a more specific premise as to what people are trying to argue-let's say you're right and it is trying too hard. What do I conclude? What is the argument?

That moe show K-ON! tries too hard to depict cute girls doing cute things-as a result, it's terrible. Perfectly sound argument, right? Rolling Eyes
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
OK I am tired of this "tried too hard" BS argument that stems from 4chan. The concept that Ergo Proxy "tried too hard" to do anything beyond smack it's audience with 1 too many philosophical positions didn't really occur to me.

What does it mean to "try too hard to be dark, etc."? I want a more specific premise as to what people are trying to argue-let's say you're right and it is trying too hard. What do I conclude? What is the argument?

That moe show K-ON! tries too hard to depict cute girls doing cute things-as a result, it's terrible. Perfectly sound argument, right? Rolling Eyes

basic come back that i use "to deep for you" that really gets the hive stirred up, then i pull out evangelion, higurashi, gurren lagann, lain and cause more of s*** storm. Listen taking what people there say as face value outside of manga, light novel or visual novel spoilers isn't worth your time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I don't think either Ergo Proxy or Evangelion is "too deep" for me to comprehend. I see them both as sporting a confused mishmash of phliosophical ideas that never really fit together very well. I like Ergo Proxy much more than I like Evangelion, but even after a couple of viewings, I didn't really get the point of Proxy. In some ways Black Lagoon is a better portrayal of philosophical ideas, existentialism in this case, than either Proxy or Evangelion. Existentialism underpins much of the show, yet the philosophy stays in the background until Yukio quotes Sartre in the Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3