• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 36

spoiler[Mutta still on edge.
Waiting for the call everyone else seems to be getting.
This time it was all about Serika.
It was nice learning more about her.]

Looks like each episode will be dedicated to one of the characters.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
they should have got two people through in this epi not just makabe.
now we'll be stuck watching her entire drive to become an astronaut next week and mutta's the following week assuming they don't fail him that is (highly unlikely since it is "space brothers")

Let's not forget the other high-suspense question: will Hoshika escape the meeting in time to be the one to give Mutta his results? Find out in the next exciting installment!!

I actually did like getting to see Kenji's backstory. I can empathize with the experience of working at an industrial facility with nothing much around it...

spoiler[When he got all excited about donning a blue jumpsuit and going to space, though, the thing that popped into my mind was the later seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Who wants to bet that the next episode is going to end with Mutta in the park with that guy just as the guy says, "You--" and then a cut to black with us still not knowing officially if Mutta is in or not?

Anyway, cute and poignant Serika episode. I really love the sound of her seiyuu's voice - it's an excellent match for her character.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Anyway, cute and poignant Serika episode. I really love the sound of her seiyuu's voice - it's an excellent match for her character.

Sawashiro Miyuki is remarkably talented. You'd never know listening to her performance as Serika that she is also the voice of Mine Fujiko in the Lupin III remake or the voice of Kurenai Shinkarou in Kurenai. In this SB episode I found her ability to switch between Serika's young girl voice and her adult voice quite impressive.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Japan's medical system must be extremely well-funded if they can afford to keep a patient in hospital when he doesn't need to be. But even if the government or generous health insurance is paying for his care, why would the father stay in hospital if he doesn't need to be there? Assuming we're talking about Motor Neuron Disease or something similar then 24/7 hospital/hospice care is not necessary for a long while. I've never understood why the Japanese think that 'terminally ill' automatically equates to 'stay in hospital for the rest of your life'. Talk about a bizarre way of thinking.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I posted similar questions in another forum about Miyata Yuki, the hospitalized girl in Moshidora, when that show aired. After some research I discovered the following:

Originally I thought it might be a consequence of Japan's national health system, but it turns out long hospital stays are a distinctly Japanese practice. In 2009 the OECD reports an average length of stay for Japan of 32.5 days, more than twice the next country, Korea, at 14.7, and far longer than most other rich countries that average some six to nine days.

This difference between Japan and other countries has persisted at least as far back as 1960 when the data begin. In 1965, the average length of stay in Japan was 56.7 days, with most other countries reporting figures in the 15-30 range.

As a social scientist, I generally dislike explanations for "outliers" like this one that rely on "cultural" differences. I have to admit this one seems to qualify. Hospitalization is generally the most expensive method to provide care. Perhaps Japan works differently?
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
they probably don't charge $400.00 for a tongue depressor.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
But the father seemed to be there for longer than a month, and the girl in Moshidora was there for a couple of years, if my memory serves me right. Natsuyuki Rendezvous at least had a cancer sufferer get out of the hospital once in a while, although even he spent far more time in there than you would find in most other countries.

Thank you yuna49 for supplying that information. I was wondering if it wasn't just an Anime-only thing but it seems to be an actual cultural norm. Even if Japan does have quite generous health budgets, people wouldn't willingly stay in hospital when they didn't need to unless it was culturally acceptable or expected.

Hmm. I wonder if it isn't partly something to do with a lack of family support, sickness benefits and volunteer services? In New Zealand, if a person gets terminally ill then either their friends and especially their family looks after them, or they have government-funded helpers who come round and do their chores and cook their meals and such.

I also wonder if it isn't do with how many people in urban Japan live in apartment blocks. If there are no lifts (perhaps due to a lack of government regulation regarding disabled access) then a person in a wheelchair can't go anywhere or do anything.

Anyway, although people staying in hospitals for ever and ever doesn't really bug me it is a completely foreign practice. In New Zealand (and most other places), terminally ill people would rather be at home with loved ones and watch their children grow up than rot in some hospital bed. If you're going to die then at least live your last few months or years as happy as possible.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
I was fighting back tears more than half the episode. Wahhh! I think Serika's backstory is the best, followed by Furuya's. Though I honestly can't remember them taking this much time to announce the results in the manga...
Gigikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I was fighting back tears more than half the episode. Wahhh! I think Serika's backstory is the best, followed by Furuya's. Though I honestly can't remember them taking this much time to announce the results in the manga...

Yeah, no it took this long in the manga as well Smile
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Gigikun wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

LoL, did it? It's been a while since I read that part.

Just read vol.19 last week. Man this series is good!
Gigikun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Gigikun wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

LoL, did it? It's been a while since I read that part.

Just read vol.19 last week. Man this series is good!

As far as I can remember at least ^^" It's also been a while since I last read that particular arc in the manga. And yeah it's awesome! Next volume won't come out before the end of February though (or so I hear) ><
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 37

spoiler[Mutta's lucky morning was draining his luck..
Mizoguchi got the important call this time.
All his life he was the best and now he failed.
It was a lot to take in at once.
At least Hibito was enjoying himself on the moon.
Finally Mutta got his great news in person! ^^]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Well, they surprised me. i really thought spoiler[the inevitable reveal that Mutta was one of the new astronauts would be dragged out for another eppie. I thought there were only going to be three new ones, but I guess there are five? The long-haired dude who was kind of Mutta's nemesis in Capsule A and that other dark-haired chick seem to round out Kenji, Mutta and Serika (going by an image in the preview).]

Can't tell you how happy I am that spoiler[the selection process is finally over.]

Oh and had completely forgotten spoiler[about the pink bicycle thing until Mutta thanked the little girl] - nice touch!
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Assuming we're talking about Motor Neuron Disease or something similar then 24/7 hospital/hospice care is not necessary for a long while.

It's not, though. Rinpei says it's an extremely rare neurodegenerative disease, and it seems to be so rare it doesn't even have a name. Under those circumstances, it's completely understandable that he'd be kept in a hospital, even in another country, because there's no prognosis saying he'll be okay for a while, and because they need to collect as much data as they can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 43