• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
i really didn't like Mizoguchi, so im kinda glad he spoiler[failed]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 38

spoiler[Mutta finally an astronaut.
About time too.
We got to see a lot more of Hoshika this time.
Mutta still can't believe he made it.
Lots of flashbacks in this episode.
Nitta, Kitamura, Kenji, Serika and Mutta are the ones who passed.]

Great episode.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
I thought putting Mizoguchi's and Mutta's results together made a great counterpoint-- spoiler[the guy who's used to success having to deal with failure, and the one who's always thought of himself as unlucky having to deal with success.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Watching #38, it occurred to me that if you go back to the earliest rounds of the astronaut selection process, and just watch for who has the most interesting hair, it would be immediately obvious who's going to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I caught up with it after many weeks; I never would have thought that phoning candidates would take so many episodes, at least it seemed to take forever. The outcome was very satisfying, but it would still have been if it took less time to get there.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Oh! yeah! this week is a real cliff hanger episode!

that driver is a real dummy.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
What an intelligence-insulting episode it was (#39).

Viewers are supposed to believe that spoiler[astronauts did not have (computerised) mapping and autopilot in 2025, when every inch of moon's surface was already known decades ago?

(Let alone the fact that there is no need for a manned vehicle whatsoever; all of the cars are completely automated and self-guided.)]

This is so cheap way to invent drama out of thin air; unforgivable.

But classroom part was spectacular and on point.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
What an intelligence-insulting episode it was (#39).

Viewers are supposed to believe that spoiler[astronauts did not have (computerised) mapping and autopilot in 2025, when every inch of moon's surface was already known decades ago?

(Let alone the fact that there is no need for a manned vehicle whatsoever; all of the cars are completely automated and self-guided.)]

This is so cheap way to invent drama out of thin air; unforgivable.

But classroom part was spectacular and on point.

i agree about the mapping and they would pretty much use a gps like guide from the orbiter if visual cues were unreliable. but manned vehicles like a rover would be driven by the astronauts.

besides the 1/6th gravity would make the fall a lot less harrowing since the rate of decent would be drastically reduced so would the impact.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah Space Brothers. I like to think of it as the prequel to Planetes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, what a cliffhanger. Of course the next episode preview kind of spoils it, but it was still pretty impactful (pun intended).

This was a good episode. Lots of Hibito action, and didn't drag on. But I do wonder why NASA have such poor communications with their probes; they only know the probe is somewhere in a 3km circle? What? They know where Curiosity is on Mars within a few centimetres and yet have a circle of probability for a probe on the Moon 3km wide? Even the Soviets kept better track of where their rover was back in the seventies.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 40

spoiler[That little fall on the moon was nerve wrecking.
Back story about Hibito was nice to watch though.
Hibito was lucky that he wasn't injured.
He also managed to find Gibson. Hibito got lucky with that one.
Looks like Damian was not as lucky.
Very intense episode.]
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Well, even though this show seems to strive for reasonable realism, it's still an anime, no NASA documentary...

I like the latest development and that we get to see the serious side of Hibito for once, though i'm also a bit worried they'll do something to ruin the generally lighthearted mood of the series...
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that new opener. Georges Méliès FTW. Wondering why spoiler[Kitamura] isn't in it, though...

dtm42 wrote:
They know where Curiosity is on Mars within a few centimetres and yet have a circle of probability for a probe on the Moon 3km wide?

If the probe was doing something while it lost contact, it's reasonable to assume it was programmed to try to finish up its current task while trying to re-establish communications. So it might have had some malfunction that stopped it dead at its last known position, or it might still be going about its business and moving around.

dragoneyes001 wrote:
i agree about the mapping and they would pretty much use a gps like guide from the orbiter if visual cues were unreliable. but manned vehicles like a rover would be driven by the astronauts.

GPS requires a whole network of satellites because you need at least three visible to your GPS unit to pinpoint your location. I don't see them going to the effort to put that into place for six astronauts.

They should have decent topographic maps of the area, though, yeah.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

Well of course they do. It's even mentioned that JAXA has 3D maps of the area. Which makes me wonder why that information was not shared to the astronauts in the first place so that they didn't fall down a ravine.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

Well of course they do. It's even mentioned that JAXA has 3D maps of the area. Which makes me wonder why that information was not shared to the astronauts in the first place so that they didn't fall down a ravine.

I was thinking that too. At the very least, a 2d durable map of the area so they'd know all of the features, like hills, craters, chasms, and so on. To randomly fall into one seems like a massive oversight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 43