• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
The notion that a Houston television newscaster couldn't pronounce "Massachusetts" was simply ludicrous. That bothered me even more than the 2.4 MHz slip-up. That radio could have been on a beach in the 1970's, too. I'm looking forward to the return to Japan so I'm not barraged by these silly misrepresentations of America.

At least Hibito had a car in this episode. Why didn't he pick up Mutta at the airport?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
I like how Texas news announcers apparently wear ten gallon cowboy hats on the air ... Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like how Texas news announcers apparently wear ten gallon cowboy hats on the air ... Laughing

As long as they portray also Chinese restaurant owners as hunched over, glasses-wearing, buck toothed creeps who add "prease" to the end of every sentence, then I think we're even. The only person who does that in Hollywood anymore is Michael Bay.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The notion that a Houston television newscaster couldn't pronounce "Massachusetts" was simply ludicrous. That bothered me even more than the 2.4 MHz slip-up. That radio could have been on a beach in the 1970's, too. I'm looking forward to the return to Japan so I'm not barraged by these silly misrepresentations of America.

At least Hibito had a car in this episode. Why didn't he pick up Mutta at the airport?

Astronauts are busy people.

Let's just assume the newscaster had a brain fart (it happens).

And that he like's vintage radios.

And the reporter lost a bet....
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
The latest episode was another pile of poop for me.

Each episode is leaving a good cliff-hanger that gets me all excited about next week's episode. I always expect something to happen. At least it looks like something is going to happen next episode with Mutta and spoiler[the fire extinguisher]. Oh yippee.

This show is starting to feel like it would have made a better OVA or movie than a show with more than 3 or 4 episodes. Don't get me wrong, I like the characters and the animation. And, of course, the story is good. But I'm just growing tired of all the waiting and waiting and waiting. I feel like I'm just waiting around for something to happen. Good or bad - I don't really care at this point. But I've grown totally bored of the dialogue, reminiscing moments, and hearing Mutta whine about how he's supposed to be the "big brother" and fulfill all of these expectations that he has for himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
I agree with you, Bento-Box. This premise does seem much more suited to a movie or short OVA series. The strain to fill 12 episodes is palpable.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- - Thanks! Also, I forgot to tell you that I wasn't surprised by the cowboy hat wearing tv anchorman. Where have you been? All anchor-people wear things that are representative of their state or immediate area. Why, here in Florida, our newscasters all wear swimsuits and have surfboards on set. I'm sure it's that way everywhere. When I visited Paris, all of them wore Berets. I bet the Japanese wear traditional garb that would be pertinent to their areas. Smile You're just so uncultured, Blood. Anime smile Get with the times!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
That's me - Super-Rube! Wink

Now, if they wanted to do a two-cours show on the trials and tribulations of Pretty Astronaut Lady, I'd be all over that. They wouldn't even need a plot, just a continuous series of scenes showing her acing various tests and then skipping off to eat something for lunch...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
As expectd, Mutta sort of saved the day byspoiler[ accidentally head butting the uncoscious criminal, which was enough to win him the favour of the JAXA people and push him through to the next round].

With something so important, I wonder why they did not try to phone him directly with such important information rather than send a letter. Maybe in Japan they do things differently to spice up waiting for job offers, etc.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Waters, Freddie Saturn, and Brian Jay. That sounds like the most awesome cast of astronauts ever.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Either Ma and Pa Nanba have a camera with an insane resolution still using MJPEG or NASA has a really, really crappy connection. I have to wonder, though, what was the point of the cliffhanger if they're just going to ruin it right after the credits?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
As I do not watch the previews, I'm glad no one has posted what happened. I'm still wondering what Mutta spoiler[found under the dresser. Hibito seems like a pretty flawless character thus far so I'm thinking it's about that time for some dirt on him.] I'm usually off on most of my hunches though. Razz

At least Episode 8 progressed the main plot. How long has it been since spoiler[Mutta left the 2nd round of tests]? It feels like we've watched at least 10 episodes of stalled plot development. But that's not even possible. It's just soooooooo drug out!

I'm actually surprised this show/concept is popular enough to get a live action rendition.

Ok. I usually don't get bugged by all of the terrible interpretations of American culture, but...
The "talk show" wasn't anything like our talk shows. People who spoiler[become heroes of the day] usually end up on something like The View or Conan or something. That show looked like some political debate newsroom. Razz I would love to see their interpretation of someone like Conan. Laughing That whole sequence was just strange. I'm assuming they spoiler[immediately brought him down to the studio for filming, but it was late at night or at least in the evening when it aired judging by when Hibito was watching it. If they were having lunch or brunch, that's a 6 - 9 hour gap. I imagine the Paramedics or SOMEONE would have already contacted Hibito given the nature of the incident. But, of course, Hibito is surprised and doesn't even get to watch the entire interview. I don't know if they filmed it ahead of time or what, but it seemed live considering they had a lady coordinating entrances and such. Little things like that just bug me sometimes. ]

If they were going to do an American-style talk show, they should have brought back the newscaster wearing that gallon hat. Smile

I did enjoy Mutta getting all "heroic" when he noticed pretty girls. Smile

Hopefully, there will be more plot progression in the next episode. However, given that spoiler[it's down to the final three applicants], they're probably going to drag it out even more. At least we'll spoiler[ get to see more of the interview process.] Those scenes are the most entertaining anyways.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
I really liked this latest episode, specifically for the fact that I've totally set my alarm in order to wake up and see the ISS fly overhead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It was great to see Mutta spoiler[back in Japan.] It was especially great to see spoiler[Pretty Astronaut Lady again. He has such a boner for her] - as do I.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was especially great to see spoiler[Pretty Astronaut Lady again. He has such a boner for her] - as do I.

Laughing Blood-, you dirty old man! Smile

I did not care for the most recent episode. It was, again, pretty boring. Big surprise. Hibito spoiler[wrote a will.] That's why Mutta had his panties in a wad? Really? Even without Hibito being an astronaut, lots of people do that.

It is nice to see the rest of the cast again. But I just want them to get on with it. This show is dragging on way too long for what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 43