• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Another training starts for Mutta.
There were some interesting new faces.
Mutta was pretty funny this time ^^
Damn, his new crew sure is full of weirdos.
Well, at least he's one step closer to space.
Good episode.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
When there's so many good astronauts who didn't make the cut, how did these antisocial weirdos make it? The woman especially is so hostile she should never be allowed into space. Heck, she should have been cut long ago due to that sort of behaviour. Teamwork and a good personality are vitally important for astronauts, since it doesn't matter how smart or capable you are if no-one trusts you. It's ridiculous how Kenji - a superbly competent leader - missed out and yet this utter bitch made it. Does NASA really have the time and inclination to babysit those who can't get their shit together?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
That's one reason the selection system made zero sense, both in the first part of the series and then this underwater gig. I mean, if you randomly draw a team with your two top candidates on it, what's the point of setting it up so that you have to eliminate one of them?

And the problem I have with Andy is not that he's antisocial (he's not, he's just quiet), but that he's huge. I'm sorry, but you just don't send giant people into space (yet), in part because of the additional fuel (he must outweigh everyone else by 40-50 pounds), and in part because of the extremely limited space available to work in, both in the capsule and on the moon. Everything would have to be built bigger to accommodate his size, and that would literally cost millions, just to have that one person on the team.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
^
Honestly, Kenji getting cut is crazy, and not just because he's a relatively main character. He is clearly a superior astronaut to most of the people we've seen thus far. I hope whatever assignment Butler gave him and Nitta is going to be worthwhile.

And yeah, I like Andy, but I thought he would have been too tall to meet NASA's height restrictions. According to this webpage, maximum height for a real NASA astronaut is 75 inches, which is ~189cm. It is possible that Andy is just under that limit and that he only looks huge compared with everyone else. But that justification is a stretch (no pun intended).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Kenji is not "clearly" a better astronaut, he's seemingly a better astronaut. We're not going to see the worth of the oddballs in the episode that emphasizes their eccentricities.

And I meant to mention this before, but isn't there actually a practical reason why they had to choose either Mutta or Kenji? IIRC, they're both engineers and would basically serve the same role on a crew.

You do have to question the decision of the team make-up... but damn... we're not actually building an astronaut team, we're watching an anime, and most every lesson and example of the process we've seen has used exaggerated characters and situations to get their points across.

I think the height issue has already been addressed, albeit in the opposite direction. Wasn't Furuya, the rude guy who worked with chimps, the one who originally couldn't apply because he was too short (but was able when the suit was redesigned for more height variance)?

Everyone else just seems to be overcompensating for something, and that can be broken through. I'm actually personally very happy to see Betty in the show. The female astronauts so far have been largely interchangeable "good girls," (also depicted as support members, not leaders) which frankly doesn't make sense to me. Betty is the first to evidence what usually happens in such an environment- the woman has to be twice as good as the guys to compete ("she's manlier than the rest of us").

I still don't expect too much though. The original writer has his problems, mainly a habit of racial stereotyping, but also a poor use of women. He tries, he has somewhat strong women, and definitely admirable and intelligent ones, but he definitely still has problems. Mainly, modern day NASA... It has women executives, and in 2025, there would be more of them. Tell me you've seen any women executives in this show. When there's a table of people deciding who gets to be an astronaut... has there ever been a woman in the room? Who hasn't been serving coffee?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I think the height issue has already been addressed, albeit in the opposite direction. Wasn't Furuya, the rude guy who worked with chimps, the one who originally couldn't apply because he was too short (but was able when the suit was redesigned for more height variance)?

There's a big difference in scaling down a space suit for smaller people and scaling up not just the suit, but the capsule and everything else to accommodate an exceptionally large person. Because in space travel, weight is expensive, and reducing weight is a top priority. Making things bigger increases costs exponentially.

Heh, I honestly can't remember exactly what Kenji does for a living, but I don't think he's an engineer, or if he is, he's in a very different area than Mutta. I'm kinda ok with Michelle Rodriguez being there, since she's obviously very competent and qualified. Her personality doesn't really seem very different from Vince's, except she talks more.

And I agree there should be more women in authority around the joint. Wasn't there a woman on Hibito's test panel?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And yeah, I like Andy, but I thought he would have been too tall to meet NASA's height restrictions. According to this webpage, maximum height for a real NASA astronaut is 75 inches, which is ~189cm. It is possible that Andy is just under that limit and that he only looks huge compared with everyone else. But that justification is a stretch (no pun intended).

An earlier episode stated that a new (fictional) spacesuit design widened the range of allowed heights for astronauts by several inches (each way, probably).

But yeah, there's no way they're sending someone over 6'4" to space... (IIRC, Mutta is almost 6 feet tall, and Andy makes him look small) For the same reason Gregarin was chosen for about like, 5'2". All that extra size and weight is equipment they could have sent up instead.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Remember the scene where Mutta slides into the capsule just to "try it on"? Imagine Andy trying to do that...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Andy would also eat more too, plus consume more oxygen. And if he weighs 20kg more than Mutta, that's at least extra US$200,000 added to the cost of the launch.

Maximum height requirements are there for a reason.

But anyway, Andy is not the one I have a problem with.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[It was nice to see Sharon again.
Her telescope dream might just become reality.
Mutta seems to be enjoying his new training.
The rest was all about flashbacks to the past.
Brian and Eddie history.
Nothing special this time.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish we were allowed signatures here just so mine could be...

----------
"I'm suffocating. Can't breathe.... Yay."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, if only that signaled The End!

I'm curious as to what the new plan is. Smile
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
any guesses as to what animal Brian Jay will be? Assuming of course he's the one to rescue Hibbit
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
A jaybird? Of course, he ought not to need rescuing, since they only need to unseal the room, just like they sealed it off in the first place.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[The focus shifts to Mutta.
His team mates are some pretty unique people.
It's gonna be interesting seeing them work together.
At the moment, I just can't see them as astronauts at all.
Hopefully, Eddie will be able to make a team out of them.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 43