• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best and worst dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Um, wow. No one in this thread has mentioned another one of the truly great dubs (even Kosuke Fujishima liked it, and he's the only one who really knows what the characters "sound" like)....

The AnimEigo/Coastal Carolina dub of the Oh! My Goddess OAV.

C'mon folks, any time someone can honestly say they preferred the English VA's voice (in this case, Juliet Cesario) to Kikuko Inoue. It's a feat.

As far as poor dubs, well, not so much a poor dub job as it was a bad dub script, but Tokyopop's dub of Initial D is a minor catastrophe.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally, what pisses me of the most is when dubs are not just bad but also very innacurate. One particular movie that comes to mind is "Bardock: Father of Goku" (as you probably guessed it's a DBZ movie. Watching this movie dubbed is a really painful experience (which is a shame since it's such a great movie and not just by DBZ standards). In was so bad that it almost made me smash my DVD player.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I really like the dubbed version of Your Under Arrest; the VAs of Coastal Carolina Studios sounded "realistic", and it sounded like that they're having fun. I also like Bang Zoom! when they dub some of the CLAMP series especially when they dubbed Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2 PROPERLY; they SHOULD have dubbed the whole series since Day 1, but what's done is done.

I forgot to add my dislikes. Practically, I didn't like ANY dubbing by Blue Water Studios. They made Crest/Banner of the Stars a "borefest" and wretched the emotional impact of Ayashi no Ceres. I MIGHT reconsider when I hear the Jubei-chan series dubbed. Confused

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
Worst: "Crest of the Stars"(Lafiel sounds dull)

Not just Lafiel, almost the entire cast is awful. Jinto sounds like a reject from The Wonder Years, for God's sake. The only dub voice that didn't make me cringe was Mariette Sluyter as Rear Admiral Spoor.

Hm, I wonder if that played any part in Spoor winding up as my favourite character of that series...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kardea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Hehehe...

Alright. I've heard some good examples people have given, and I've heard some bad examples. First off, yes. DBZ is a really sorry dub, for the most part anyway. Some characters have an at least mediocre dubbing, but then, all I have to do is hear one clip of the young Gohan's little laugh of joy... *goes into an epileptic seizure*

Second, lay of Love Hina. Sure, it's not the best dub in the world, but it really isn't that bad. Of course, Love Hina was my first "lesser-known" anime, and happens to be the anime that got me into the deep, dark world of manga, so I may just be a bit biased. And for those of you who have never read it, the Love Hina anime is one of my favorites, but the manga is an absolute masterpiece. Ken Akamatsu is a freakin' comic genious. I'm pretty sure I've never laughed so much at anything in my life, (save the first, weird "2nd half of the show" thing on the first Record of the Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight DVD. Watch it and listen for the word "looove.") Anyways, I definately recommend buying all 14 volumes. I did, and I have sense spread the love....... Hina. Confused pun-a-rific.

And finally, and I know I'm gonna get toasted by a truckload of wannabe-otaku, but even though the dub on Princess Mononoke may not be all that great, the fact that it's Minnie Driver and Billy Bob Thorton, along with several others, lends an aire of legitimacy to anime.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SHOOT!

I know that a bunch of people just jumped out of their chairs and yelled "Anime is legitimate!" or "If anime goes mainstream, it'll be ruined!" or "I don't want anime to go mainstream 'cause that'll mean I won't feel special for watching it!" or something along those lines. However, those people must realize that studios that decide to produce anime, both good and bad, spend money to do so. And the more money that those anime series and movies make, the better the anime is later down the line. Don't forget: Anime ---is--- mainstream in Japan, so don't get all selfrighteous on me. To the Japanese, Ai Yaori Aoshi is like Friends with only two seasons, and Vampire Hunter D is as mainstream as Blade is to us. So lay off.

Other than that, pretty good dubbing opinions.[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kardea, just a couple of questions and reccomendations. One, have you watched Love Hina subbed?

And two, even if you have, here are a couple of suggestions for you. Don't listen to the dub again for two-three years... watch a lot of other things... then go back to it. You may be more objective at that point with greater exposure to more anime and varying dubs.

Just a for instance on my part... I didn't really get into anime utnil about eight years ago when Sailor Moon was still being broadcast... to me, the dub was just fine. A little cheesy, but I had no problems with it.

Recently, after watching the uncut versions, I wanted to check out a couple of the dub episodes (first season - that I had on some really old VHS tapes) and I was completely appalled. Shocked The script changes, the use of lines where they didn't exist to begin with, amidst other things really shocked me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Guy trips/stumbles/can't see/reaches for something and ends up grabbing a girl's breast/butt/shirt/panties, and then is knocked into the air.

Oh yeah, comic genius. Never could've seen it coming. Ranks alongside Rowan Atkinson and George Carlin in its level of wit.

*this sarcasm sponsored by a grant from the Gatsu Foundation and by viewers like you*

If you can back of your claims that Ai Yori Aoshi is the Japanese ratings equivalent of Friends, or that the Japanese theater turnout for Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust (since the original was an OAV) was proportional to that of Blade then your argument has some validity. Otherwise, you're preaching an argument no one brought up to no one in particular.
^ . ^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:54 am Reply with quote
Evangelion has to have one of the worst dubs I've ever heard. I honestly have never been able to finish the whole series in english. It's just terrible. Shinji sounds just horrible. His voice is nothing compared to Asukas though.

Dubbing this series changes the whole feel of the series to me. I don't even consider it a good series in english. It really is that bad.

One of the best dubs would have to be "Wicked City". It's ten times funnier in english than it is in japanese. All the voices fit the characters perfectly too. I had never seen the sub version until it came out on dvd, but it actually loses something in japanese.

I also think the original "Record of Lodoss War" and "Dominion Tank Police" had a pretty good dubs as well.

Last edited by ^ . ^ on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I wanted to make a quick comment on the Ocean Group. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, I always seem to like everything they do. Granted, they definately aren't the best dubs by far, but I guess since I grew up listening to them, I just got so use to hearing them.

Well in any case, I like just about all of their dubs except:

Inuyasha - (sort of) I think the voices are pretty good, aside from Kagome and maybe Shippou, but after watching something like, 100+ fansubs, it just seemed strange to hear such watered down dialogue. Again the voices are great for the most part, they just need to change the script up and maybe put a little more emotion in their deliveries. David Kaye's Sesshoumaru and Paul Dobson's Naraku are my favorites though. Wink

Ranma 1/2 - (sort of) I watched the entire series in dub, but saw the OAVs in Japanese. I had no idea how many of those same Seiyuu were people I'd heard in other shows. Now I'd like to rewatch the whole thing in Japanese someday, though Viz's subs probably won't make it that much different than the dub script, although the positves for the dub were Shampoo's and Kunou's voices. Ted Cole was absolutely hilarious. And I'm surprised at how well they dubbed Kodachi's laugh too. (*laughs like Kodachi*) Wahhh, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Anime exclamation. Too bad they changed her voice, like, 3 times after that. Crying or Very sad I also hated Venus Terzo as girl Ranma, ugh! Mad

Saber Marionette J - Total meh. I just thought it was so difficult to match up to Hayashibara-sama's version of Lime. I also didn't like Brad Swaile as Otaru. And Hanagata, whew, talk about no energy. I was surprised to find out that the Seiyuu was actually Takehito Koyasu. Talk about having good range. He played a very convincing homosexual.

Vision of Escaflowne - (sort of) I originally saw the entire series in English, twice. I didn't think it was that bad at all, though I never did like Merle. But after watching the movie for the second time this past weekend (which was the first time I ever watched an Escaflowne production in Japanese,) I was baffled at how good they sounded. Of course with such talent as Maaya Sakamoto, Tomokazu Seki, Shinichiro Miki, and Jouji Nakata, how can you possibly go wrong? And all credit granted to the Ocean Group, I guess they did OK if you go by a general perspective. But I definately want to rewatch the TV series in Japanese now.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a person who is critical of dubs. In fact only one dub kind of gets on my nerves. It's not really the dub, but one or two of the actors. The guy who plays Subaru on Tokyo Babylon seemed like he was doing a Micheal Jackson impersonation. I can't remember, but I think his sister had a high pitched voice (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I liked Trigun, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho dubs.

On a side note:I know a lot of people don't like Richard Cox, but I like his acting more since seeing him on Breaker High. Is it just me or does Johnny Young Bosch sound really different since his Power Ranger days?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
Lady Sango wrote:
On a side note:I know a lot of people don't like Richard Cox, but I like his acting more since seeing him on Breaker High. Is it just me or does Johnny Young Bosch sound really different since his Power Ranger days?

I think Richard Cox is OK. Although I haven't heard much range in his acting, I still feel he's the best the Ocean Group can offer for the equivalent of Kappei Yamaguchi. I just wish they'd work on that darn script! Mad

And as for Mr. Bosch. Yes, he's way different from being "Adam the Black Ranger." I noticed since he went from cinema acting to voice acting, he seems a lot more mature in his dialogues, well, for the most part. I still really like him as Vash though.
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
In the dub almost every other word is "bastard, dammit, or shit."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
SharinganKakashi wrote:
In the dub almost every other word is "bastard, dammit, or shit."

I don't really mind that at all. If you think that's bad, then avoid the Outlaw Star dub.

But in my opinion, I actually think explatives add a little more depth to the situation. Usually, when people curse in real life, it's because something bad is happening or because they're angry.

I try to refrain from using such lanugage myself, but it doesn't bother me if anyone else uses them.

And from what little Japanese I know, I'm not sure what some their terms translate to, like kusou, (or however you spell it) which scripts usually write as "d*mn," kisama, which I know actually means "you," but in a very negative connotation and is usually translated as "bas**rd" or "d*mn you," yarou,which holds somewhat of the same meaning only I think it actually means "rascal," and I'm not really sure on shimata or chikushou, but I think they translate to "oh no" and "god**mn it."

But I guess the point is some script writers are trying to translate the emotion of the situation, and I guess for English, cursing and the use of explatives seems to be the best way.
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really bother me. I don't use the language myself. (Girlfriend has whipped it out of me) Places like when Vash is angry at Knives about killing Rem. In the subbed version, he just calls her a "meddler." But in the dub they change it to "meddling bitch!" I just think they could have kept it the same, and it seemed to me like they were just trying to americanize it with profanity.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
SharinganKakashi wrote:
It doesn't really bother me. I don't use the language myself. (Girlfriend has whipped it out of me) Places like when Vash is angry at Knives about killing Rem. In the subbed version, he just calls her a "meddler." But in the dub they change it to "meddling bitch!" I just think they could have kept it the same, and it seemed to me like they were just trying to americanize it with profanity.

Yeah, that's usually my problem with dubs when they try to "Americanize" the show. This is one of the reasons I dislike dubs that take place in Japan. Namely, Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, Love Hina, and Kare Kano.

But I think in some cases it's a good thing to put a little Americanization in the dialogue, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun especially, with these having more of a Western feel to them anyway. Although there is that line that sometimes separate emotion from plain ol' rudeness and vulgarity.

In the case of Knives calling Rem a "meddling b**ch," I thought it just went to show how frustrated and annoyed he was by her actions. Sure, it seems a little overangersome to add "b**ch" into the sentence, but you have to understand that the dub was particulary made with an American audience in mind. For some, if he just called her a "meddler," then maybe the scene would possibly lose its effect for the kind of viewer who thrives more on words rather than the emotion conveyed through other circumstances.

So I guess if you really care for that sort of thing, then you shouldn't watch the dub. But for a general persepective, I think it fit well enough for fans who probably wouldn't care as much for a more direct translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5