• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokoro-chan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably off on the title. I still dont have it memorized.

Has anyone seen this? It's one of those "WTF were the creators on when they wrote this?" types. Dokor is sent to kill this kid, forgot his name, because he found the secret of Immortality, and uses it to stop girls aging around 12. God can't have that (pity, really but I digress), so he sends out angels to kill him. Dokoro thinks she can stop him without killing him, but ends up doing so many many times.

So, once I got over that, and the utter shock value of it- shows like these (This, PuniPuni Poemi, Excel Saga, FLCL, Pani Poni Dash, Shinobuden) always throw me off guard, it's really a one trick pony. Murder, resurrection, with plenty of fan service. It seems to have harem elements, as another angel popped up and the two vied for his attention...to kill him. And I can assume more show up.

It's an amusing show, even though its humor grows stale by the end of the first episode. Plus it has one of the most annoyingly catchy themes I've heard in a while. The lryics are as WTF as the shows content is.
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
it was halarious for me i was lafing almost throughout the entire series. the sound is catchy yes but not annoying to me Razz i thought it was pretty interesting since i dont really see that much goreyhumor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE this series! Mr. Green It's so wrong, it just had to be right. Perfect combination of extreme gore, fan service and crazy humor. I get a good laugh every time I watch an episode. It never gets old. As for the OP, you're right about it being catchy, not to mention the crazy lyrics. It's one of my favorite OPs.

I'm happy that there is more Dokuro-chan coming. I just hope it's as good as the first series.

Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what you got from the series, it was frickin hilarious. Granted, there was quite a bit of blood in there, but seeing this kid get thrown, slashed, and then on top of that get these funny ass comments from his friends, really had stuff going for it. Only problem I had with it was that the ending I felt was a bit rushed, but other than that it was great.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I don't get what you got from the series, it was frickin hilarious. Granted, there was quite a bit of blood in there, but seeing this kid get thrown, slashed, and then on top of that get these funny ass comments from his friends, really had stuff going for it. Only problem I had with it was that the ending I felt was a bit rushed, but other than that it was great.

Oh, I like it alot, but it's repetitive. It's much like Naru knocking Keitaro into the air over and over again. But I'm only on ep. 3. There's bound to be more surprises.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Only problem I had with it was that the ending I felt was a bit rushed, but other than that it was great.

Yeah, it felt like the series ran into a brick wall with the way the ending played out. I can live with that though. I don't think I would have liked this series as much had it dragged on too much longer. It's quite repetitive indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Actually I would have loved to see how Keitaro would have fared with Dokuro's sister, since her weapon was a towel.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Actually I would have loved to see how Keitaro would have fared with Dokuro's sister, since her weapon was a towel.

Keitaro would be so screwed if he went up against the mighty Zakuro and her towel of doom. Man, I've gotta myself get one of those.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

It's an amusing show, even though its humor grows stale by the end of the first episode. Plus it has one of the most annoyingly catchy themes I've heard in a while. The lryics are as WTF as the shows content is.

My thoughts exactly; the song is fun, the anime interesting, but it's too formulaic beyond episode one and there's not really all that much to watch after that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Despite it's screwed up nature I also found it quite ammusing. I read somewhere there's going to be more comming out.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Despite it's screwed up nature I also found it quite ammusing. I read somewhere there's going to be more comming out.

Yup, there will be more.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-03-11/new-bokusatsu-tenshi-anime-announced
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll chime in on saying that I enjoyed this show. The DVDs are highway robbery though - they're ¥5500 each regardless of whether it's a regular or limited edition. And you only get two episodes, i.e.: one show, per DVD so that adds up to ¥22000 for the entire series.

Anyways... things that made my day in the series: the Terry Gilliam-esque Matthew Perry cut-out animation, the Kafka reference, the news flashes which poked fun at President Bush and Kim Il-Jhong (sic) and that "brains down the drain" scene that really does work out better in English. Plus I finally remembered the name of Dokuro-chan's board game: Goth-ello. Not to forget the screwy OP credits with each person's blood type, home prefecture and Zodiac sign...obviously the crew who made this show were out to have fun while working. on it
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite comedies. I'm glad there's more, I really want to see more of The Murderous Wet Towel, Eckilsax ( I have that memorized). I think the concept of Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is a satire of the anime OVA, Happy World! I saw that after I saw Dokuro-chan and was struck by how similar the plot is.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. It was funny and at the same time, the whole "WTF!" reaction. Though it did get stale after the first episode. I think the 4 segments were perfect, any more and it would have gotten too stale and repetitive.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
I think the concept of Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is a satire of the anime OVA, Happy World! I saw that after I saw Dokuro-chan and was struck by how similar the plot is.

I should see if I can find this Happy World! that you speak of. If it's similar to Dokuro-chan, I just might like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2