• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonicbug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Wow. That is one big spoiler you casually tossed in to the Darker than Black write up, about where the lead got his powers from. In fact, I don't think the audience knows that for certain until the second to last or last episode. Certainly not by episode 10!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
alifemde wrote:
The only part I agreed with the reviewer on was his take of the music. When I first heard it I thought somebody was trying to make a Yoko Kanno soundtrack, but FAILED terribly....But yeah, far from Kanno's best.

It's more like they just didn't use it properly. I love listening to the soundtrack on its own, but it doesn't sync very well with the scenes it's used in. Part of what makes music in Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Macross Plus and Frontier (heck, even the overly-preachy Arjuna!) work is that the animation and music supplement each other. With Darker than Black, it's like BONES asked her for music and then just shoved it in wherever.

I never found it particularly distracting the way this reviewer did, but it never felt like a Yoko Kanno soundtrack - very unimpressive.

I do agree, though, that the story etc. was really great, and that I wish they had done this boxset-style. It is a series that was meant to be marathoned. (Also, it would be cheaper and I might be able to afford it right now...)
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Good to know Strain is interesting, though how often our opinions seem to vary I'm not sure if I'll even end up enjoying it. It's one of the few series I've never seen subbed and as a big fan of Macross/Vandread/etc, I really want to check it out.

Still, I really am enjoying Darker than Black. As I said elsewhere, the sub was dull for me, but switching it over to the dub completely turned the series around.

I also adore Love Hina. It's not amazing, sure, but I still think it's amusing, somewhat sweet, and certainly enjoyable. I might be slightly biased thanks to it being maybe the second anime I really got into enough to collect, but still. You're right on one account though, the manga certainly blows it away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
I thought this site was populated largely with people who like Love Hina, last time I mentioned how much I hate it here it turned into a huge mess. The article pretty much sums ups my feelings about the show too. I can handle characters being bitches but Naru is apparently so stupid and paranoid he thinks Keitaro is out to destroy the world or something.
Reynard82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have not yet and do not expect to ever come across an opening theme song more gratingly annoying than Love Hina's. The first 5-10 seconds are like a chorus of dental drills in mid-excavation. In other words, it sets the PERFECT TONE for the series as a whole.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Afterwards, I realised that it would take nothing short of a masterwork for me to get over my new-found massive prejudice against everything Ken Akamatsu.

...Negima is nothing like Love Hina, A.I. Love You, or even Itsudatte My Santa. >_>; Like, at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
Afterwards, I realised that it would take nothing short of a masterwork for me to get over my new-found massive prejudice against everything Ken Akamatsu.

...Negima is nothing like Love Hina, A.I. Love You, or even Itsudatte My Santa. >_>; Like, at all.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, except Earth_Wyrm only got through the first handful of chapters, in which case the tone of the story and style was very similar to Love Hina (focus on fanservices and slapstick humor). Negima doesn't really start to change from harem comedy to action/adventure series until volume 3.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I suppose. Still, the whole loli schoolgirl/shotabait thing doesn't really fit any of them either, which I presume that's what got him squicked out in the first place. I can't think of any other reason why, anyway.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I too already picked up Love Hina last time at my con and seruously I buy anime DVD's only to collect them for iternity for sure of it. But I never grew old of that dubbing and I don' completely understanding that people would whine that much for it anyway. Into the mind of fanservice and it's sense of storyline I would anyone would prefer much of the manga and I may check it out soon as possibly the difference between the manga and anime. I would like to go much into character about Love Hina anime but I sense my supervisor is calling me.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
By the time the show was over, I hated it. (Out of nostalgia for my old feelings, I still continued buying Love Hina merchandise for years.)

I don't know about anyone else, but this made me laugh pretty hard. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
I too already picked up Love Hina last time at my con and seruously I buy anime DVD's only to collect them for iternity for sure of it. But I never grew old of that dubbing and I don' completely understanding that people would whine that much for it anyway. Into the mind of fanservice and it's sense of storyline I would anyone would prefer much of the manga and I may check it out soon as possibly the difference between the manga and anime. I would like to go much into character about Love Hina anime but I sense my supervisor is calling me.

I don't think the dub is that bad, but at times it's not that great either. Consider the fact that spoiler[Su and Shinobu] sound like they are about 3 times older than their age. A lot of people don't like that at all. Also considering the fact that spoiler[Mitsune] gets a southern accent, which gets people upset as well. The only problem with the VA was the change for spoiler[Su and Shinobu] to sound older than they should be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Anath_19 wrote:
On a similar note, I find it rather curious that I've seen people bashing Gonzo for finding a way to put mechs in any show they animate, but I have yet to see one person complaining about how Studio Fantasia managed to turn a classic book without a drop of sci-fi into a full-blown mecha anime. I'm sure they exist, though. They must.

I think it's because Strain most definitely is *not* an adaptation of A Little Princess. Whatsoever.

Ah-ha. I haven't seen much of the series (nor remember much of what I did see), but one of the things that always stuck in my mind is that it was based on A Little Princess.

On a more positive note, I didn't have that good of an impression of Strain before, but since you consider it Shelf-Worthy, I just might have to check it out again.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely lost on the music hate for Darker Than BLACK - was the OST that was released, like, not the music actually used in the anime or something? 'Cause I have the soundtrack (never watched the show) and it's one of my favorites - moreso than the Bebop soundtracks. I also found it very distinctly Kanno, as did my mother (not an anime fan), who, upon walking into my room while I was listening to it, said "That's Yoko Kanno, right?" and immediately asked if she could borrow the CD.

So unless it was a deal like with GitS: SAC where a ton of the more frequently used, less enjoyable tracks just never got a CD release and had to be pried out of the DVD audio, I'm confused.
retty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Happy (and suprised) to see Love Hina described as 'perishable' despite its status as a classic. I was never able to get into it, I've probably watched no more than the first 5 episodes and hated every second of it. It was only its fame that kept me watching it, I thought I must have been missing something. But nope, it was just very very annoying.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I suppose. Still, the whole loli schoolgirl/shotabait thing doesn't really fit any of them either, which I presume that's what got him squicked out in the first place. I can't think of any other reason why, anyway.
I was going to say that too, for all its flaws, Love Hina is not nearly as loli as Negima is.

I'm hard-pressed to disagree with Bamboo's assessment of LH, despite being a diehard fan of it. Why, I don't know... possibly because it was the first anime I collected while actually "in the fandom," after picking up Sailor Moon for nostalgia reasons. So it's a sentimental favorite at this point. I liked Love Hina for many of the same reasons Bamboo initially did, like the rapid genre shifts. "Whoa, they're in an RPG, now it's a detective story, now Su's a Magical Girl? What?" After later reading the manga (also my first manga), I came to appreciate some of the anime's additions more, like Kentaro Sakata and the story of Moe the doll. I also found Naru's "violent retributions for accidental infringement" annoying, but I guess the random comedy and the more tender moments balanced those out. I'm still torn on whether to give the show a fourth watch. Maybe I'll check out the absolutely terrible downloaded version, just for the lulz.

As for Funimation's Love Hina, if they'd redubbed it, I might've re-bought it. But as it stands, the Bandai singles I bought way back in 2003 are still good enough. Funimation did re-do the subtitles though, according to a front-loaded trailer on Ouran.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7