• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'm completely lost on the music hate for Darker Than BLACK

I'm not. I'm not a huge Kanno fan in general, only really enjoying Cowboy Bebop and Macross Frontier's soundtracks, but even by her standards DtB had an awful soundtrack. It really did sound like someone was trying to mimic a jazzy style and just ended up with a cacophony that didn't sound like much of anything at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'm completely lost on the music hate for Darker Than BLACK - was the OST that was released, like, not the music actually used in the anime or something? 'Cause I have the soundtrack (never watched the show) and it's one of my favorites - moreso than the Bebop soundtracks. I also found it very distinctly Kanno, as did my mother (not an anime fan), who, upon walking into my room while I was listening to it, said "That's Yoko Kanno, right?" and immediately asked if she could borrow the CD.

You have to see how poorly it's used in the show. It works as a stand-alone CD, but it's not matched very well to the scenes.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to second (more like tenth at this point) the sentiments re: Love Hina. When I caught a few fansubbed episodes back 7-8 years ago, I thought the show was fantastic and hilarious. It got me to seek out the manga, which I devoured all of. Then about 5 years later, I snagged the complete series boxset of the anime and was completely bored with it. It just didn't capture that madcap energy that the manga did at all, and being a dub guy, the fact that the dub was virtually unwatchable (Keitaro and Naru were so wooden...ugh) certainly didn't help

Sorry to hear I''s wasn't quite up to snuff. I just watched Video Girl Ai for the first time not that long ago, and it made me really interested to check I''s out when it was announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

You have to see how poorly it's used in the show. It works as a stand-alone CD, but it's not matched very well to the scenes.

Ah, gotcha. That makes a bit more sense now, although I'm disappointed to hear it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
Personally, I've always found Ichitaka to be a solid lead. He's not particularly good at anything, but he cares deeply about his friends. He's always the one who saves Iori from perverts (because for whatever reason, Katsura romances have a lot of rape danger scenarios), and he cares deeply about his friends.

Was this done on purpose? Either way, you certainly made it clear what his most outstanding quality is. Wink

Aw crap, that was an errant copy/paste that got missed during editing.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I'm not. I'm not a huge Kanno fan in general, only really enjoying Cowboy Bebop and Macross Frontier's soundtracks, but even by her standards DtB had an awful soundtrack. It really did sound like someone was trying to mimic a jazzy style and just ended up with a cacophony that didn't sound like much of anything at all.

I have to agree with this, unfortunately. I *am* a huge Kanno fangirl and think she's brilliant and own a ridiculous number of Kanno OSTs (and even stuff like uber jpop-sounding Maaya Sakamoto albums, which basically count as Kanno since she writes all the music anyway). I watched DtB when it came out specifically because of the music. But I was horribly disappointed, to the point where I ignored the OST when it came out--for the first time ever. It kind of bothers me knowing there's a chronology gap on my shelf between Ragnarok 2 and CM Yoko, but... ugh, the music was so terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Amaya no Hime wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Darker than Black [...] mildly awful soundtrack
Really? Really?
Quote:
The animation isn't particularly impressive
This too. Bones? high budget? Not impressive?

I really must agree with this. Darker than Black's soundtrack is composed by Yoko Kanno. I'm pretty sure most people agree she's one of the best anime composers.

It's been a while since I saw DtB, but I do remember being stunned by the animation. They put in a lot of detail even where it wasn't really necessary.

Just because it's Kanno, doesn't mean it's good. ;p I certainly didn't care for it. Then again, I've actually never been a big Kanno fan, which puts me in the minority.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So funi didn't redub Love Hina.... Razz

Damn, would've bought it in a heartbeat if they did...oh well, too bad for them. Anime hyper
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Str.A.In (Soukou no Strain) is one of those short series you don't give a lot of thought to when you see the description, but when you actually sit down to watch it, it turns around to have some surprising depth and maturity. spoiler[It is about a war, and surprisingly for most mecha anime, a lot of characters die, and more importantly, stay that way.]

One interesting tidbit about it is that it is a loose (emphatically so) adaptation of Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. All of the characters share names with this novel, or at least variations of them. Sara Werec is still the main character, her last name an anagram of the original's "Crewe."

What makes it more amusing is that all the characters are polar opposites of the personalities in the novel. The anime's Sara as a depressive introvert directly opposes the novel's outgoing and vibrant Sara Crewe. Lottie is very headstrong in the anime, while her character in the novel is a huge crybaby. A third character hates Sara more than anything in the novel, but has a spoiler[lesbian attraction] towards her in the anime.

It was a surprise delight to anyone who has taken several English Literature classes.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
well if nothing else, Akematsu's stuff always elicits strong responses... since I like Hina anyway as a guilty pleasure, I'm sorry that many don't, but? You don't have to watch it. This is a very good reason to rent or borrow or utube or whatever before you buy, some things just don't work for you.

What I hated about this release is the box art. Check me if I'm wrong sandy but I don't recall them ever wearing any of those outfits in any part of the show, even the OVA's, and the proportions are Just. Wrong. Also, tarting up the disks themselves? With Shinobu in her undies? Who the heck thought that up? I originally got this as an import, so I don' know what the original relase looked like, but I can't believe they would have done that. The bottom line to me is that Akematsu's stuff is similar in tone no matter the story, and so are the Anime adaptations... I like them but never recommend them to people because they are polarizing.

Also? A couple of the guys I know are amused by Hina precisely because things happen to Kei, that are echos of what heppens to us, minus the physicality of it. Being blamed for something that isn't your fault happens a lot... Wink
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Why wasn't I surprised to Love Hina in a Perishable bin? I just had a feeling and the feeling I get from writer of these Shelf Life articles, I knew this was going to happen.

I can see why people are upset with the dub of the series. It sounds pretty weird. The thing was though that I saw the series first and read the series later, so the dub thing never really bothered me at all. In fact, just about every dub doesn't bother me at all. Naruto, the original One Piece verison (Yes, I dare say it), Yu-Gi-Oh GX, and even The Prince of Tennis dubs never upset me before. I tolerate most everything, I have had pretty of practice with the stuff I have to deal with in my life. The only dub to ever upset me is Eyeshield 21, which felt like I was being stabbed in the ear while I listen to the characters' talk.

Since I never bought the series and to overall liked what I saw when I watched the show earlier, I'm getting it. On the issue of the cover, I had to order this thing online because of... you know. A bit embarrassing to bring up to the counter, especially if the cashier was a girl.
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've watched the first episode of the Love Hina Anime. I found it so abysmally awful that I swore never to watch a "harem comedy" again. Those who managed to watch the entire series have my simultaneous respect and derision. I never saw the appeal of such repetitive and unimaginative situational "comedy" hi-jinks. There are plenty of far better Ecchi Anime out there if that's what you are looking for (maybe not so much back then, but still). And if you want comedy, there are scores of Anime that pull it off better than in Love Hina. Heck, Trigun had more comedic moments in it while still packing serious action and drama. I know this is a mean thing to say, but I have no sympathy for those who watched past the pilot episode. If you couldn't see it was that bad right from the get-go, then tough.

How about "If they watched past the pilot episode mabye they actually *liked* the show"? Not everyone enjoys everything the same way.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't one of main reasons the English dub for Love Hina being pretty bad because Production I.G. got involved in the dub production too much to a point they miscasted a bunch of characters?
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I suppose. Still, the whole loli schoolgirl/shotabait thing doesn't really fit any of them either, which I presume that's what got him squicked out in the first place. I can't think of any other reason why, anyway.

Same here. I was a bit wierded out by that at first myself but now I'm up to volume 20 in Delrey's releases and WOW is that manga a rollercoaster by then. Its like "Romance? Who in the world has time to think about that now?"
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru99 wrote:
How about "If they watched past the pilot episode mabye they actually *liked* the show"? Not everyone enjoys everything the same way.

My comments were aimed at people who, like Bamboo, started out liking the show but ended up hating it. There was absolutely nothing to suggest in the pilot episode that the show was going to change in any way beyond the basic formula set out in the beginning. Either you liked the formula (scantily-clad girls beat up guy, essentially), or you didn't. Anyone who did initially like the show but ended up hating it must accept that, for whatever reason, they couldn't see what was so painfully obvious to everyone else (who hated it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7