• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
gotta love cybuster Very Happy i see some nana too Very Happy Very Happy
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As for Funimation's Love Hina, if they'd redubbed it, I might've re-bought it. But as it stands, the Bandai singles I bought way back in 2003 are still good enough. Funimation did re-do the subtitles though, according to a front-loaded trailer on Ouran.

Oooo... they redid the subtitles? See, I may actually have to buy this, since it was the first manga I ever bought and one of the first anime I ever bought, though at the time being naive, I ended up with a bootleg. So I'll pick this up just to support it for nostalgia's sake.

driverstart wrote:
Since I never bought the series and to overall liked what I saw when I watched the show earlier, I'm getting it. On the issue of the cover, I had to order this thing online because of... you know. A bit embarrassing to bring up to the counter, especially if the cashier was a girl.

Hehe, you lack practice, young padawan. Razz
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Another Strain fan! I watched it all on FUNi's site in January and immediately bought the box set upon finishing it. Seriously underrated and just all-around great sci-fi!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
As for Funimation's Love Hina, if they'd redubbed it, I might've re-bought it. But as it stands, the Bandai singles I bought way back in 2003 are still good enough. Funimation did re-do the subtitles though, according to a front-loaded trailer on Ouran.

Oooo... they redid the subtitles? See, I may actually have to buy this, since it was the first manga I ever bought and one of the first anime I ever bought, though at the time being naive, I ended up with a bootleg. So I'll pick this up just to support it for nostalgia's sake.

What I've heard about the subtitles is that they changed the presentation, not the script, if that makes things any clearer.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
For years now I've said that Ken Akamatsu has done more damage to romantic comedy anime than any other individual. My only great gripe is that it's taken us long enough for Love Hina to gain freaking CLASSIC status for people to also look back and say sheepishly "You know, it really wasn't that good."

And to anyone who's seriously considering buying Love Hina, do yourself this favor: drop a heavy object in your crotch to simulate the viewing experience, then go to eBay or Amazon or the trunk of a shady figure's car and buy Ai Yori Aoshi instead. It's like Love Hina, but with pleasant characters, beautiful music, and a strong central romance.

If the urge to buy Love Hina still remains, repeat process and buy Maison Ikkoku.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Str.a.in = Soukou no Strain

Ohhhhhhhhh. lol. Yes, this is a great show. Definitely picking up the DVD set. Yay for name alterations!

Also, I love harem anime...and I can't stand Love Hina. Tenchi was the first anime that got me interested in the medium, and it's SO much more of a "classic" than Love Hina could be. I wish the Tenchi Muyo OVAs were rereleased so I could [legitimately] own them... that Disc 3 is impossibly rare/expensive.

Anyway, totally agree with "Craeyst Raygal". Ai Yori Yoshi is awesome. And of course, no need to mention, all the KyoAni Key adaptations Wink
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Love Hina manga = awesome
Love Hina anime = utter shit. Even more so with the English dub. Never have I heard a dub with so many complete changes of dialogue, and unnecessary additions to dialogue.

couldnt agree more. the manga is very good.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal, and LiuXuande, this is the reason that cringe whenever the "Classic" tag is put on anything. Very few things ever appeal so broadly and forever to be called that. I know people that react violently to Tenchi as well... personally I never liked Maison that much... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ heh, watch them all and then decide...

and LiuX... rightstuf has all 1, 2, and 4 for only $8 each... I bought them just so that the backstok would go away, and they would consider putting them out again. I can't figure out why they have not. Probably some strange contractural snafu.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
And to anyone who's seriously considering buying Love Hina, do yourself this favor: drop a heavy object in your crotch to simulate the viewing experience, then go to eBay or Amazon or the trunk of a shady figure's car and buy Ai Yori Aoshi instead. It's like Love Hina, but with pleasant characters, beautiful music, and a strong central romance.

I'd say change that from a general statement, to only include those who don't know what they're getting into, and then it'd be a valid exercise.

As for Ai Yori Aoshi, same applies to it as does to Love Hina. I've seen the anime and the Enishi sequel, and they pale in comparison to the manga, as well as not properly finishing the story, which Love Hina accomplished over three sets of OVAs. They over-emphasize the slapstick element in the anime almost as much as Love Hina, though there's less of it period, so it's not as bad. But it's also more along the lines of heartfelt romance (+comedy) aimed at a seinen audience, whereas Love Hina is a shounen romcom. Slightly different storytelling styles.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

You know, I gotta disagree with you on this one. I absolutely loved the first volume of Ai Yori Aoshi, and I loved the parts afterward that just included the two main leads, but I was completely turned off by all the side characters (esp. Tina). I also thought the series got a bit repetitive after awhile.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
heh, SakechanBD, your avatar just reminded me that in my mailbox at home is probably sitting Saikano Complete... just waiting for me to watch. Very Happy
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to hear the I"s dub is weak and the pace of the story's kinda akward. But I still feel obligated to buy it as a big fan of the original manga. Besides, seeing Iori and Itsuki animated is worth the buy alone! Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, the original I''s OVA is atrocious. I don't even know what the whole point of it was. As you said, it was more traumatizing than enjoyable, and I advise all to just ignore it.

Now I''s Pure on the other hand, I was delighted to watch. I've been a fan of the I''s manga for a long, long time, and I'm quite satisfied with I''s Pure. Granted, there isn't enough time to go through every single interaction that occurs in the manga due to the short episode length, but I feel that they did a wonderful job in condensing the story so that even one who doesn't know the manga can still enjoy it.

I like how they changed the format of how everything transpires by having it be flashbacks on Christmas day, instead of the day-by-day pace that the manga employed.

All in all, I can't quite say why I love I''s. Maybe it's because the main character gets his arse kicked so many times but still ends up with the girl. That usually doesn't happen. Anyway, I'm happy that Viz actually brought this Stateside. Now if they could get to releasing Honey and Clover...
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I first started watching Love Hina, I thought it was the funniest show in the world. ...At the time, I had never seen an anime series whose comic strength was the sheer randomness of the events. One minute, tanks were being driven through Hinata Inn—the next, the characters were in a mock RPG video game. I thought the girls were a boatload of fun, and I couldn't get enough of the turtle.
By the time I got to the middle of the series, my infatuation with the show was rapidly wearing off. The jokes were starting to stagnate, and the girls I had loved so much just a few episodes were getting under my skin—especially Naru. I couldn't stand her impatience with Keitaro, and every time one of the girls punched him for something that was clearly their fault, it drove me wild. By the time the show was over, I hated it.

That is exactly how it was for me, too! I originally checked it out because I'd heard the opening theme and really liked it, and I really liked the show, too, especially since it was the first anime I'd seen that didn't have a fantastic element to the premise (as most of what I'd seen up to that point was stuff like Pokemon, Tenchi, DBZ, and Slayers). But yeah, it definitely got old real fast. Even when the manga came out, I could only take two volumes of it (unlike my now-husband, who read the whole series--in reverse).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru99 wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
I suppose. Still, the whole loli schoolgirl/shotabait thing doesn't really fit any of them either, which I presume that's what got him squicked out in the first place. I can't think of any other reason why, anyway.

Same here. I was a bit wierded out by that at first myself but now I'm up to volume 20 in Delrey's releases and WOW is that manga a rollercoaster by then. Its like "Romance? Who in the world has time to think about that now?"

I feel the same way. The first three volumes nearly turned me off for the whole series, but I like the world created in too much to not give it more of a fair shake. By volume four, it stops being primarily about showing naked girls (although that aspect never actually goes away) and starts to tell a story. And what a great story it is, too! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7