• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
rg4619 wrote:

While this is often correct, it does vary from show to show. In some cases, the animation studio (or even small groups of creative staff, who've formed their own company) is a member of the production committee, which means that it shares copyrights with partner sponsors.

I'm just going to post this again with the little debate you 2 are having, who can say if a portion of staff are part of the holding company that is Macross F Production Committee that the studio or creator doesn't have a stake in that company.,

It doesn't really make any difference. The issue is simply one of money: You don't get any part of the rights unless you pay for them up front, whether it's a company formed by animators or a company that makes diet pills.
The more money you front, the more rights you get, the bigger percentage of the pie you have rights to.
It doesn't matter how much of the actual product you create. That's the point I'm making.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Sorry, but you are really just wrong about this.
The rights, both intellectual and copyrights, for Macross F in Japan are controlled by

Big West
Macross F Production Committee
MBS

with the main one being the "Macross F Production Committee". This is, like most anime, a fake holding company for all the interests that fronted the money for production. Satellite does NOT have any intellectual property rights to Macross F, nor does its founder.

Basically the music rights are held by Big West, the broadcast rights by MBS, and the rights to everything else, intellectual property rights, copyrights, DVD/Blu-ray distribution rights, are all controlled by the "Macross F Production Committee", which is exactly as I stated, a collection of sponsers.
And do you know just who are the Macross F Production Committee, aka the original creators of Macross F? Here's a hint. Also, copyrights is the law that grants the original creators' their rights on their intellectual property ownership. Whereas release and distribution of copyrighted intellectual property is a matter of licensing agreement. Get it right.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think comparing petty shoplifting to downloading intellectual property isn't a good comparison, even more so when it's a food product. Here's a big reason why people continue to download even with threats of lawsuit or internet being shut off: because you don't see immediate reaction against it. If I try to steal a DVD from a store, I have a high chance of getting caught. It might not mean prosecution, but the store might ban me. Downloading a movie means maybe someone's looking at IP addresses, but there's no feasible way to track-down and prosecute everyone. The more realistic solution they take is to bitch to the ISP to give up personal information, but the ISP obviously don't want to sell out a customer (unless they Comcast). Anime companies don't have the money to do lawsuit battles, so the most they can do is ask fansubbers to take down their files, which is probably the better route in the end to not produce backlash. Yes you can argue the people who download have no reason to complain since they were stealing in the first place, but that's not a real world thought.

I bet Funimation could handle a lawsuit if they really wanted to. I'm talking primarily licensed anime here.

And the comparison was basically just to say - if you want something and it's easily available for free why would you go pay money for it? If it weren't easy to get for free, or it wasn't available for free, then you'd buy it.

I mean, there are lots of movies that people want to watch, but they aren't as easy to find online to download (because the companies crack down harder), so people rent or buy them.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Sorry, but you are really just wrong about this.
The rights, both intellectual and copyrights, for Macross F in Japan are controlled by

Big West
Macross F Production Committee
MBS

with the main one being the "Macross F Production Committee". This is, like most anime, a fake holding company for all the interests that fronted the money for production. Satellite does NOT have any intellectual property rights to Macross F, nor does its founder.

Basically the music rights are held by Big West, the broadcast rights by MBS, and the rights to everything else, intellectual property rights, copyrights, DVD/Blu-ray distribution rights, are all controlled by the "Macross F Production Committee", which is exactly as I stated, a collection of sponsers.
And do you know just who are the Macross F Production Committee, aka the original creators of Macross F? Here's a hint. Also, copyrights is the law that grants the original creators' their rights on their intellectual property ownership. Whereas release and distribution of copyrighted intellectual property is a matter of licensing agreement. Get it right.

Actually according to JApanese wikipedia the Macross F Production committee is a fake name for Bandai Visual: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マクロスF

The original work creator is not generally a part of the production committee, the rights to create a product based on their work are licensed by the production committee.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Actually according to JApanese wikipedia the Macross F Production committee is a fake name for Bandai Visual: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マクロスF

The original work creator is not generally a part of the production committee, the rights to create a product based on their work are licensed by the production committee.
I take everything from wiki with a grand of salt. That means I don't buy into most internet myth that easily, especially when your best reference is an amateur online website that's not even in the English language format.

Shoji Kawamori/Studio Nue are the creative entity responsible for the original intellectual elements of Macross F like story plots, mechanical designs, character concepts, world settings and etc. So without them, there won't be Macross F no matter how much money from how many parties that were involved, pure and simple.
Overlord Z-ko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
literally cut out the middlemen who have been lining their pockets at the cost of the artists who actually deserve the the profits companies like funimation and ADV ...etc... who buy up the licenses and pretty much leave the artists in the dust if the anime does sell big are doing the industry far more harm by making it so unprofitable to be an animator people are leaving the industry the very people who create their profit which is why I personally wouldn't care if they ended up getting cut right out of the loop by the animators.

So you're blaming the R1 distributors for the low wages of Japanese animators. That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. The R1 distributors do not control the animators wages the Japanese anime production studios do. Is this really the lengths some people will go to villify R1 distibutors?
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Overlord Z-ko wrote:
So you're blaming the R1 distributors for the low wages of Japanese animators. That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. The R1 distributors do not control the animators wages the Japanese anime production studios do. Is this really the lengths some people will go to villify R1 distibutors?
And if you watch this video at 3:28, the panelist/voice actor Greg Ayres told a shocking fact about what length did the R1 licensees had gone through in order to support the dying Japanese anime industry years ago, when the Japanese anime market tanked almost 10 years ago during the 10 years long Japanese economic recession.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Please excuse my rusty english...Anime cry

jenthehen wrote:
Fansubs are A problem. Can't really argue with that. How do we solve this problem? The answer HAS to be going after the actual people who DO THE SUBBING!!! Seriously. It cannot be that hard to find out who these folks are. And while they are possibly poor 40 year olds living in their parents' basements, lawsuits would send a strong message, and maybe help to stop this problem

I'm here, please tell someone to sue me in Greek or Japanese courts. That would be the answer to the fansub problem, sue the fansubbers...Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Dante80 wrote:

I am a fansubber, I watch fansubs, I pay for maintaining an anime community and I support the industry (mainly the R1 industry, while I live in a region I cannot legally play their products). Why does one exclude the other?

Good for you, you buy what you steal, which helps but the problem is can you say that for everyone that watches your fansub that you made? AS once you send it out, it will be copied and spread out. So it's not showing it to your friends or even getting anime out to the people. We now have access to a wide variety of anime within the NA market, with plenty of people willing to advocate for it and show it to their friends and family with their DVD purchases or legal streaming sites. So there are ways to get people interested in anime beyond fansubs.

Not everywhere my friend. Here in Greece we don't have an industry or access to content in our language. The industry will not care for us (apparently we do not possess the critical mass needed for profiting with the current slowpoke business model). So we make demand for the content, and fansubbing is but one of many ways to achieve this. For almost any true anime fan in an undeveloped market, the dream is to make his hobby more mainstream and attract companies and individuals for it. Fansubbing is a way for generating said interest and establishing a fanbase. As has happened in the past, in other countries. Legality be damned, morality be damned, its the effect that concern us. And the effect is NOT instant gratification, I wouldn't pay hundrends of euros each month as a consumer and webmaster if I just wanted my fix.

The notion that all people who watch fansubs do not buy anime products is just wrong in my books, judging from my own, my friends' and my countrys anime community. We learned about anime from old TV shows in our public television, and then by fansubs. And most of us will continue to support the industry by buying content related products (from physical media to school accessories), getting more people involved with our hobby, and trying to establish a solid fanbase that can support more official, legal and better means to advance our community and our hobby.

I am not the problem here though, nor is the state of the anime community in sunny Greece. We are talking about a report concerning the state of the anime industry in Japan. Japanese don't even watch fansubs (and the effect of fansubs on their licensing contract ratios is the least of their concerns at this point), yet this topic had to degrade into yet another fansub debate.

Fansubs are illegal, they may have a detrimental effect over industry companies' revenues (an effect yet to be proven, put in its right perspective and weighted against others though) ,and for many people they are also immoral.

Fansubs though, cannot and will not go away by force or persuasion. And there is really nothing the community/the companies/ or even the governments can do about it, NO MATTER what they try/will try. The only way to stop fansubs is for legal owners/distributors to make them OBSOLETE. And to do that, THE FIRST move would be to stop blaming them for their own misgivings that drive leechers in flocks to fansubs in the first place. Whatever can and will be done, there will always be people that simply do not care about anime enough to pay a simple penny for them, yet watch them because they provide entertainment. I do not understand why someone blames those people, they are completely irrelevant to the industry. They will never support it, and they cannot deter sales (or boost them for that matter).

And with them, in part fansubs are also irrelevant to the fact that the current business model in Japan and abroad is devouring itself, partly because its unable to provide what the consumers want in the needed quantities, flavors and ways. There are some good moves lately regarding DtO and streaming, but both the pace of the adaption/adoption and the degree of fundamental policy change regarding this industry leave much to be desired.

There are also many ideas and ways for fixing the problem, and I know for a fact that there are a lot of people in Japan and elsewhere that both acknowledge the problem and do their utmost to fix it (one of them is ANNs own Justin Sevakis). Because they care for their hobby and the industry, not for their wallets. They are also frustrated and disheartened by the fact that they remain a small minority in a clay empire set on quicksand.

There is a saying in my country that goes like this: One who does not understand himself cannot see further then his own nose. That is in my humble opinion what is happening in the anime industry since the bubble busted in 2007. Or at least, that is my take on this.

DomFortress wrote:
Because temper tantrums like those won't held in a court of law, and only ignorant, immature, and shallow individuals have the mentality to even trust in those delusions. This is the truth from yours truly, who used to be an ex-VHS fansubber 13 years ago, and respected the legal R1 anime licensing industry to stop fansubbing completely. Unlike you, who are abusing fansubs by using the internet to conduct intellectual property theft, all for your own selfish instant self-gratification.

*response deleted

Last edited by Dante80 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 am; edited 3 times in total
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
I'm sorry sir, I do not feed trolls. I will tell you this though. You cannot see further then your own nose. Your posts in this and other threads just proved that to me. Do not bother answering.
Hi, fansudder. You could save us all the blatant excuses next time, when you can just copy-and-paste this statement which will pretty much sums up your mentality:spoiler["I want my instant self-gratification without paying anything because I'm just too damn lazy to do just about anything legally."]

In the mean time, please continue to steal from the dying anime industry. For I've gotten pretty much all the R1 anime medias that I ever wanted legally. And there's nothing other than you to stop what you're doing as a fansubber to change how I see your kind, when the time has come for the anime industry to take its final resting place at the hands of a bunch of spoiled brats, aka the fansub community.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by pparker on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Yes, Dom, you are so eloquent compared to the intelligent, informed and reasonable responses to your so inane, unfounded, unsupported insulting rants. It's late, you're so irritating, and I don't care if I get banned for insulting you. You have done far worse, and don't have any brains behind it. Perhaps that's why you get a pass. You can't be expected to know any better. The "nose" quote fits just too perfectly. Like an old, comfortable pair of glasses that have long since cracked and fogged, so that all you see are your own delusions.
spoiler[I'm sorry sir, I do not feed trolls. I will tell you this though. You cannot see further then your own nose.]
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Okok, lets not get this locked though guys. Crying or Very sad
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Okok, lets not get this locked though guys. Crying or Very sad

Per your request...
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
babbo wrote:

Prove it. I've only seen increasing shelf space in most stores. And stop trying to use dvd sales in an discussion on print media. They're far too different.

Okay your specific question was "Would business care if a product doesn't sell?" Already manga sales are down, continued drops will mean they will not continue carrying as much in store as they used to. This is the same regardless of what the product actually is, I refer to anime DVDs because 1) they are an entertainment medium, like manga and 2) manga and anime do have a closer relationship then say most books versus television series.

Quote:

PDF? At least take a peek at the thing you are demonizing. Scanslations are a) rarely anywhere near the quality that you see in an official release, and b) are even more rarely (I've never seen one to date) in pdf format. Name me one title.

Well first I would direct you to here for this fine video play list watch all of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0b8bEaT4I

As to PDF downloads, you must not even been doing a basic search on google if you can't find them, they are moving onto just doing scanlations of Japanese titles but also the "American created manga" is also being scanlated to and released for free, with slightly different English, in a PDF format.

No. simply no. There is not single scanslation group out there that releases in pdf format; it's not worth the effort. More often than not they are already having to clean up poor quality scans from the Japanese originals (the main reason why scanslation is rarely the same quality as legit releases) and translate and type set them. There are whole databases sites that list groups who scanslate titles. I can say with confidence that there truly aren't any scanslation groups that put out pdfs. It's mostly zips with .jpgs/.pngs. Anyone that says otherwise has literally no idea what they're talking about.

DomFortress wrote:
Would it be too much to ask of you to use proper English grammar, thereby not having your post being a big run-on sentence that's meaningless and hard to read? English was not my first language, but I'm still making the effort to have people understanding me.

LOL. When you go off on your "OMG INSTANT SELF GRATIFICATION" rhetoric your English is at best comparable to decent quality HK bootleg. You're in no position to criticize here, and for all you know, he is trying <.<

And quit starting every sentence with 'WRONG!" You sound like some sort of game show/talk radio host >.<;;

DomFortress wrote:
babbo wrote:
Isn't that besides the point? People are seeing the same product for free.
WRONG! Fansub/scanslation community are stealing intellectual properties from the anime/manga industry. When it actually took money to make & license those copyrighted intellectual properties in the first place. Not for illegal fansubs/scanslations, and therefore not "free."

You're missing the point again. I'm asking about the actual effect of scanslation. I already know that it's illegal.People that read a scanslation generally aren't going to do it more than once, most people prefer print format. So it effectively comes down to playing a role similar to that of browsing in a store.

What about titles that never will get licensed? If you think that the number of anime out that there that will never see a license is big, the number of manga is ginormous o,o

dragoneyes001 wrote:
funny how the lion share of posts are about how fansubs kill sales while ignoring the very clear message that the industry has been screwing the workhorses who do the majority of the animating.

the industry is complaining they are not making the billions of yen they did in 2006 yet even in 2006 the animators were being screwed during the biggest profit periods.

yes DVD sales will continue to dwindle in NA because the format is outdated they need to make the money from the anime right at launch that means getting it out fast and either using the crunchyroll format or having advertisers on dedicated streaming sites because the fans wont wait for months and sometimes years for an anime to be released on DVD's not like the japanese companies can't create their own streaming sites.

literally cut out the middlemen who have been lining their pockets at the cost of the artists who actually deserve the the profits companies like funimation and ADV ...etc... who buy up the licenses and pretty much leave the artists in the dust if the anime does sell big are doing the industry far more harm by making it so unprofitable to be an animator people are leaving the industry the very people who create their profit which is why I personally wouldn't care if they ended up getting cut right out of the loop by the animators.

Why not blame the Japanese companies who sell the licenses? Funi and co. have no control on how the animation studios get screwed. In the first place, Japanese companies have been doing their best to screw over R1 companies with exorbitant licensing fees as well.

Last edited by babbo on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
Overlord Z-ko wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

ok why is there always one person too dense to understand that when distributors buy up the rights to a product the original makers are left out of the profits!

yes the distribution companies force the industry to produce cheaper product or not get distributed which means no jobs so they work for less which means the animators get screwed.

yes the industry makes billions of yen try taking the time to understand how little of that actually goes to the animators.

same thing for the music industry its the distributors who profit from CD's the artists need to perform live to make real money and even that's being chewed up by the promotion companies and the location owners.

you know something people don't talk about as to why some people don't buy DVD's is because they know the money is going into the pockets of some corporation that really had nothing to do with actually producing the anime they only bought up the rights packaged it and spewed it out under their name with flashy graphics toting their company.

its nice to get on a white horse and scream "support the industry buy DVD's" yet its the very industry who's screwing itself by not supporting the very people who create its bread and butter.

but then again I'm sure you don't care that the person who made your $200 running shoes was barely making minimum wage and the distributor CEO drives a Bentley?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12