• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worth getting Blu-ray player for anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's worth it, even for SD upscaled anime. There are aspects of MPEG-2 DVD compression that do not always play well with aspects of how anime is produced, so you tend to get distortions and noise in the video on DVD that isn't there on Blu-ray. BD allows the show to look as good as it can.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
No, it's not worth it, unless you really want one of those very rare shows that was only released on BD. Otherwise, DVD is the way to go because it will save you money and you're not going to see much of an improvement in the picture from animation to justify it.

Again, I directly refute your statement when I look at BDs of anime that were shot on film. It's extremely clear cut. Or maybe that's just my love for the enhanced and cleaner image speaking. It seems most people are only talking new anime, or at least shows from the last 12 years, where it becomes much more case-by-case. High budget series from the last few years, though, should always be better in HD. You'll have small discernible details that become muddled and fuzzy when downscaled, like text.

noigeL wrote:
Yes, it's worth it, even for SD upscaled anime. There are aspects of MPEG-2 DVD compression that do not always play well with aspects of how anime is produced, so you tend to get distortions and noise in the video on DVD that isn't there on Blu-ray. BD allows the show to look as good as it can.

We've seen cases where those upscales have come out horrendous, but you'd think the general idea of the bitrate being increased by several magnitudes would help out a ton. Comparing 8.5GB to 45GB...
Garuda7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info guys, you really helped me make my decision. I'v decided to go with blu ray, I think the extra cost will be worth it. And soon I can start my anime collection Very Happy
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Not only yes-but hell yes!! I got into bluray a few years ago and now all I buy are blurays-if it's only available in dvd format, ok. But bluray rules, my friend. Just make sure you have at least a 50" plasma set to hook your new player up to (lcd's suck donkey dick)-Playstation 3 also sucks for bluray playback, you're much better off with a stand alone bluray player-and get a new reciever that can decode DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD.
magmalord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I think that if you are looking at an older title that was traditionally colored I would go with Blu-Ray, because somehow when there is a transfer from the original film it shows a significant improvment. If you want to get a newer anime that was digitally colored there would be a little to no difference honestly, because most anime on TV doesn't move much so you won't get a higher framerate quality. Now with newer anime movies on the other hand look great on Blu-Ray such as Redline, Ghost in the Shell 2.0, and others that would be a different story, because they have higher production values and plenty of movement to tell the difference.
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

noigeL wrote:

We've seen cases where those upscales have come out horrendous, but you'd think the general idea of the bitrate being increased by several magnitudes would help out a ton. Comparing 8.5GB to 45GB...

True, I guess I just didn't want to overwhelm the original poster with too much information right off the bat. But to expand on that point, The Fandom Post and Anime on DVD (Mania.com) forums have some serious videophiles who will do screencaps and DVD/BD screencap comparisons to help illustrate good and bad upscales. Definitely the sort of resource to avail when researching a potential Blu-ray purchase.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Again, I directly refute your statement when I look at BDs of anime that were shot on film. It's extremely clear cut. Or maybe that's just my love for the enhanced and cleaner image speaking. It seems most people are only talking new anime, or at least shows from the last 12 years, where it becomes much more case-by-case. High budget series from the last few years, though, should always be better in HD. You'll have small discernible details that become muddled and fuzzy when downscaled, like text.

Go ahead, could be true for you, but when I look at standard definition and high definition I don't see much difference between them. Granted by vision isn't so great, but it's at least good enough to see the difference between VHS, Laser Disc, and DVDs. Maybe my player is automatically upscaling DVDs though and that's why.
PvtPlatypus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
You probably should just get a cheap player. I've had 3 different Blu-Ray players, a standard Sony player, a Panasonic player and a PS3. My friends use either Samsung or Vizio players, which I really wouldn't recommend. I'd recommend Panasonic players over the other brands that I've used. The picture on even a decent HDTV is fantastic. Everything just looks a lot more sharp and more defined. Obviously the sound is also amazing.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Garuda7 wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys, you really helped me make my decision. I'v decided to go with blu ray, I think the extra cost will be worth it. And soon I can start my anime collection Very Happy
Sounds like you've already decided but I'm of the opinion that you're better off getting a stand-alone player if you don't need the drive in your PC for the opportunities that presents. The answer to your question overall is "yes." Anime on BD can be fantastic and anyone who makes generalizations that there's no quality difference is blind, stubborn, or using a crappy display.

That said, the answer to the question "Worth getting a blu ray player for anime on a 23 inch monitor?" is probably "probably not." BD is really better on--heck, designed for--larger displays, so on a 23" monitor you're not going to get much out of 1080p video source.

Obviously the only real solution is buy a 50+" HDTV and use it as a monitor. Then it'd totally be worth getting a BD player.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Kinda of amazing that in 2012 there are still people wondering if it's worth getting a Blu-ray player. Hey, is it worth getting indoor plumbing or should I stick with my outhouse? How about this new fangled Internet thing, worth it or not?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kinda of amazing that in 2012 there are still people wondering if it's worth getting a Blu-ray player. Hey, is it worth getting indoor plumbing or should I stick with my outhouse? How about this new fangled Internet thing, worth it or not?
There's a bit of a difference in terms of how much your quality of life is affected by indoor plumbing vs higher AV bitrates, y'know? Wink Even if prices are fallen, it's still a luxury.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
But come on - why are people still asking for opinions on this matter? Blu-ray is not a new thing that came out last month. Even if you don't own one yourself, surely to God you have access to one via a friend, relative or even wandering into an electronic store. Nobody can "tell" you if its worth it or not - you have to judge for yourself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
@Saffire 7 Blood-

If someone is asking if they should buy any upgraded technology, they have already decided they can afford it, the only question is the cost / benefit ratio. In this case the benefit is worth the cost. I think even on a 23 inch monitor it will be visible. Of course, a stand alone player and a hulking big TV would be best. Very Happy

Before I watch anime, my wife had the big TV and I used an old 13 Sony. I now have a 46" LCD set which is only used for anime.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Am I being a sucker and buying blu-ray? I only have a 36" TV in both the rooms there are TVs set up. Because I here a lot of "you don't notice a difference unless the TV is so big," stuff.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
My sister has her PC hooked up to a 32 inch HDTV and when I visit her we sometimes watch Blu-rays on it. It looks pretty good, but I wouldn't go smaller than that. She doesn't have any speaker system though, only what's on the tv and so she looses out on quality sound.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5