• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cigarette usage in anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldman18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I understand that most anime that I watch is gear towards 16+, so a character in the series is not trying to promote underage smoking. In the end smoking is a lifestyle choice that each person decides for themselves.
The problem I have is in most scene where someone is smoking they never finish the cigarette. They end up putting it out into an ashtray that full of unfinished cigarettes or throwing it away. I am a smoker and have been for many years I find those portals as wasteful of costly addiction.
Is this something others have noticed as well? Or as a smoker am i simply over thinking the situation? Maybe it is something entirely different. I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this subject.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This is my take on the situation, and I freely admit that I might be wrong.....

You have to understand, Goldman18, that anime is almost exclusively aimed at at Japanese audiences (this should come as no surprise, since most of the revenues come from the obscenely priced DVDs that are sold in Japan). In Japanese culture, smoking simply is not a big deal (do not ask me why this is so -- I just do not know) and this is reflected in anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever had to clean up cigarette butts? Trust me, there are half finished ones all over the place. Not to mention being on the ground despite there being five ashtrays right in front of them and being in areas where there is an obvious no smoking sign.

Being a janitor sucks sometimes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Putting out or throwing away a partially smoked cigarette and beginning to move is a way of showing that you are ready for some action. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

People dump partially smoked cigarettes all the time. Ever take a look at the gutters near a traffic light? A quick look will show dozens of butts. The filters never go away.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Putting out or throwing away a partially smoked cigarette and beginning to move is a way of showing that you are ready for some action. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

There are also plenty of times when you'll see an ashtray crammed full of half smoked cigarettes. This usually appears in an office, often in a law enforcement setting. I think this is to show how stressful their situation is. Rather than the smoking itself, the act of taking out a cigarette and lighting it can be far more calming.
Goldman18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Shows like The Garden of Sinners (movie series), Black Lagoon & Cowboy Bebop, plus I few other I can't recall at the moment all have overflowing ashtrays with half smoked cigarettes. I know most characters in those series are chain smokers and that is a way to portray that.
When I see things like that I just smile to myself that there are characters like Sanji the chain smoking cook from One Piece. I've lost count of the times he has thrown away a smoke just to light another one. Thank god he smoke unfiltered or he may be littering the Grand line with fiberglass. lol
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Goldman18 wrote:
I understand that most anime that I watch is gear towards 16+, so a character in the series is not trying to promote underage smoking. In the end smoking is a lifestyle choice that each person decides for themselves.
The problem I have is in most scene where someone is smoking they never finish the cigarette. They end up putting it out into an ashtray that full of unfinished cigarettes or throwing it away. I am a smoker and have been for many years I find those portals as wasteful of costly addiction.

It's movie-smoking, where nobody ever does. Razz

(And even the recent practice of making smoking a ratings qualification in the US sort of happened by accident:
The anti-smoking lobby had been trying for the last few years to do some outrageous publicity stunt to call attention to smoking in movies, and when they tried "R ratings for smoking!" and the MPAA said "Er, okay...Sure!", it sort of caught them unawares: "Uh, weren't we supposed to argue about it first?" Wink
What we see in Japanese movie/TV is the usual amount we used to see in movies, before the whole mess ever happened.)
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
the simple answer to why they like the half finished crammed full ashtray look is many artists chain smoke when they draw and they will put down they're smoke to do some particular part of they're work then reach for a new smoke forgetting they left the last one in the ashtray. its more simply forgetting the last smoke because they got mentally busy.

they are drawing what they have kicking around as examples.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Have you ever had to clean up cigarette butts? Trust me, there are half finished ones all over the place. Not to mention being on the ground despite there being five ashtrays right in front of them and being in areas where there is an obvious no smoking sign.

Being a janitor sucks sometimes.

Quoted for truthfulness. Smokers are by nature incredibly wasteful with their expensive addiction, I've noticed after years of cleaning up ash trays, parking lots, and sidewalk areas. So yeah this is closer to real life. Cool if you're an exception though.
shilisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
I noticed that.But it's in the anime,not real.We can't judge it by daily life.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I can see this irritates you but honestly it's not that uncommon. I often start having a cigarette then decide i don't really feel like any more about halfway through and put it out. It's just a habit really. I don't smoke as much as some so maybe I don't really notice the expense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1