• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime you will never watch?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I've recently been watching Hana Yori Dango, and every time I put in the VIZ discs I'm treated to the first few seconds of the preview for Corrector Yui, before I can leap to skip it. I know nothing about the show, but everything about the preview really grates, both the stupid writing ("Unable to tell the difference between a computer chip and a potato chip, you could say computers are not her thing...") and the rather crude visuals. It may be completely unfair, but even though my tastes are fairly wide-ranging, Corrector Yui is on a list of things I will actively avoid seeing, and all because of an annoying preview.

Are there shows you are very aware of for some reason, and that you have consciously decided you will never ever watch?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nope. I am a "Try anything up to episode 3" kind of anime fan.
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes, mostly shows based on shonen jump manga like naruto. To be
fair I enjoyed the second volume of bleach but I've avoided it like
the plague since. The main problem for me is that the series are
so long, at over 100 episodes, and don't do much except have
people fight it out and talk about the virtues of friendship.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly confident I'll never watch Kiss x Sis. Laughing
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I probably won't be watching too many heavy fanservicy stuff, that's a given...but that boob-ninja show from a few season back (Mayo Chiki?) probably bobs to the top of the list.

"Breasts are a status symbol! If you have a big boobs, you can live a life of privelage! If you're flat-chested, you and your family are doomed to a life of poverty! Also, boobs can be stolen from people apparently."

Riiiiigt...

And I think everyone in this thread should prepare for the inevetible cries of, "You haven't watched [show x] so you have no right having any kind of opinion about it!!"
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I think everyone in this thread should prepare for the inevetible cries of, "You haven't watched [show x] so you have no right having any kind of opinion about it!!"

If everyone just keeps on stating their personal tastes/opinions without trying to mix in any pseudo-facts or 'quality' claims then such decrying won't popup.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I usually only outright discount really distasteful seeming ecchi, moe and loli series. Part of this is because I watched Strike Witches and the original Ikki Tousen and loathed both experiences, so suffice it to say that I will never watch their sequels without duress or payment.

I also won't ever both with Dragonball GT, because I watched some Dragonball Z in the way back when and found it really tedious. Not just because of how long those ten minutes until Planet Namek exploded took to pass, but because I learned that series oriented so strongly around fighting reliably bore me.

Shenl742 wrote:
"Breasts are a status symbol! If you have a big boobs, you can live a life of privilege! If you're flat-chested, you and your family are doomed to a life of poverty! Also, boobs can be stolen from people apparently."

That was Manyū Hiken-chō, which the reviews in the preview guide for that season make out to have just been nasty. There was, evidently, something to do with 'breast slicing'...

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I believe there are a large number of people who refuse to watch Gundam series, Macross series, other 70s-80s sci-fi/mecha shows, or even more unfortunately, Leiji Matsumoto shows, because of their age.

Personally speaking, though, I refuse to watch Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Baka to Test, and Katekyou Hitman Reborn. Those are the only shows I can think of that I will have a complete, absolute, even illogical aversion towards.

Shenl742 wrote:
but that boob-ninja show from a few season back (Mayo Chiki?) probably bobs to the top of the list.

That's kind of funny, if only because Mayo Chiki is about twice as uninnovative and unamusing as the show you're talking about (Manyuu Hikenchou).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
That's kind of funny, if only because Mayo Chiki is about twice as uninnovative and unamusing as the show you're talking about (Manyuu Hikenchou).

If breast mutilation is innovative and amusing then I'm quite happy with a mildly ecchi about a guy who can't touch women being friends with a beautiful girl who pretends to be a boy in order to butler for a sadistic rich girl.

I don't care about the gimmick or reasoning behind the stupid concept- a stupid and misogynistic plot like Manyuu Hikenchou's is still sttupid and misogynistic, not innovative or amusing. I know and don't care that the "heroine" is battling against the practice, it's still there. They could use magic or massage them off instead of using swords- there is no way in hell it wouldn't come off as sick to me.

The only reason I'd watch it would be to prove just how very distasteful it is. Luckily- I don't need to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Konopan wrote:

If breast mutilation is innovative and amusing... ...They could use magic or massage them off instead of using swords- there is no way in hell it wouldn't come off as sick to me.

I don't care about the gimmick or reasoning behind the stupid concept- a stupid and misogynistic plot like Manyuu Hikenchou's is still sttupid and misogynistic, not innovative or amusing.

But it is magic. Magic sword techniques. Like, the kind a ninja or something would learn. What, did you seriously think Hoods animated a guro show?

I also love how showcasing a female-dominant society where women measure against and police other women (albeit completely comedical) is somehow misogynistic. Please educate me more, master P.C. feminist sensei.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Konopan wrote:

If breast mutilation is innovative and amusing... ...They could use magic or massage them off instead of using swords- there is no way in hell it wouldn't come off as sick to me.

I don't care about the gimmick or reasoning behind the stupid concept- a stupid and misogynistic plot like Manyuu Hikenchou's is still sttupid and misogynistic, not innovative or amusing.

But it is magic. Magic sword techniques. Like, the kind a ninja or something would learn. What, did you seriously think Hoods animated a guro show?

I also love how showcasing a female-dominant society where women measure against and police other women (albeit completely comedical) is somehow misogynistic. Please educate me more, master P.C. feminist sensei.

No, as suggested, I wouldn't waste a braincell explaining how a breast obsessed show is misogynistic. But it's not like its any arbitrary physical that's being judged, it's not phrenology or blood-type discrimination or judging a person by the shape of their nose, it's boobs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd say any BL anime falls into this category for me, but I'm kind of interested in Descendants of Darkness.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The short answer: there are none I'll never watch.

The long answer. If I'm not interested in the premise (for me that would be sports anime, yaoi, loli fanservice and some others) I won't bother even with one episode. However if such a show gets praised a lot or becomes controversial (outside its premise), I'll try it out.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The obvious one that I will never go near has already been talked about a lot; Manyu Hikencho. There's absolutely no way I can get past that premise.

Actually, that's the only one I can think of that I will never even try. Everything else gets at least a 1 episode chance. I even forced myself to check out Lotte's Toy and Rio Rainbow Gate. Although I didn't finish the 1st episode of Rio to be honest; it was way too stupid. And Lotte's Toy turned out to be another one where I just could not get past the premise. People kept saying "but it doesn't show anything!" ...And? The premise is still there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Great topic.

I have thus far refused to check out Gunslinger Girl and She, The Ultimate Weapon (A.K.A. SaiKano) because of their premises. Why make little girls into weapons except to draw in the crowd which enjoys watching little girls become weapons? That said, I have heard some great things about them, loads of people recommend them. I might watch them one day, but they are barely on my viewing horizon at the moment.

Lotte's Toy, because as the Rancorous said, the premise is still there even if the show is better executed that it would have first appeared.

There ain't too many shows that I will outright refuse to watch even a little of. I need to rack my brain to see if I have any more examples.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11