• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S. California Digital TV Station Adds Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
One can easily join Netflix and rent Haruhi and be able to watch more episodes in a shorter amount of time.

But I'd be more interested if Case Closed or Dragon Ball were doing re-runs.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty cool! Very Happy I recently started to rewatch Haruhi in the DVD order (which doesn't feel as good as the broadcast order, but I'm still holding out my verdict on it) and it's still as fantastic as I remember it. And Fantastic Children, that's a really great suspenseful anime too! What a neat TV station, wish they had more stations like that available on cable. Razz I was in California a little while back too, shucks. Laughing
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Currently seeing it right now and their broadcasting The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ep 1. So their gonna broadcast it in the right order.
sneezl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I even installed my digital converter box (I hardly ever watch TV) just to catch Haruhi.

Very nice. However, the station program guide doesn't show Haruhi airing June 8, instead it lists "Sola." (which is interesting in itself).
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
It's good thing that MBC America and UTB has launched in America. Here's the problem, by the looks of things, it will not be available in the DC area at all. I would love to watch them, but I don't live in either New York or Los Angeles

Where I live (Washington, DC) the subchannels are either useless weather radars or old repeats. Even their pbs subchannel offerings suck.

It's just as bad, if not worse, in the Chicago area. Less than half of the local broadcast outlets have even bothered to start using their respective sub-channels (even with less than four days before the all-digital conversion finally happens). And when they do, it's either weather or more-of-the-same "meh."

Zero_Shinji wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
Haruhi, Eureka, and Fantastic freakin' Children?

Why do these guys have the best anime lineup in the country?

because it's California? lol just joking,

Even if you meant that in jest, you're still probably right. Every so often I've read how select (I'm presuming smaller and more independent) public television channels originating in SoCal have broadcasted anime in the past, long before the digital conversion.

Meanwhile, I'm _still_ stuck in Springerville! Mad (Okay, I realize Jerry and his cohorts are thinking about moving outta Chicago to somewhere in the Northeast US, I think Connecticut...good riddance BTW) But I digress...rant off...
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Siegel Clyne wrote:
STUFF

I did not know that Dean Cain was Japanese.

Just as Uruguayan Mexican actress Barbara Mori affirms her Japanese heritage with a kanji tattoo of her Japanese family name "Mori," as I documented in my earlier post, Dean Cain aka Dean Tanaka affirms his Japanese heritage with a (2-)kanji tattoo of his Japanese family name "Tanaka."

One would not know that a lot of people are part Japanese (or other Asian) unless they announce it.

For example, a prominent British politician and the leader of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom from 2001 to 2003, Iain Duncan Smith from Scotland, disclosed to the British news media in 2001 that he had a Japanese great-grandmother on his mother's side, Ellen Oshey, and thus is one eighth Japanese.

(Japanese posters at 2-Channel, as well as I, think "Oshey" is "Oshii," like the anime director Mamoru Oshii.)

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
they have some good programs. Not just anime, other shows are good too. they need to expand to North Cal. already ^^
Ariolander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
BTW for those Adelphia customers they don't carry channel 18's digital sub-channels so your best bet is with an antena... IF you are like me though quit a distance away look it up at http://www.antennaweb.org what you need to get the channel.

Kinda sucks I am by some hills so nothing short of the largest antenna with a 14 foot boom off of my roof would be enough to get this or any other DTV channels over the air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
double post

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Since I cannot link to it due to ANN forum rules, below instead is a copy and paste of my post at the Anime**** forums.

===================================

UTB Hollywood, an OTA (off the air/over the air) digital television broadcasting station (Channel 18.2) in the Los Angeles area, aired an episode of the NHK World TV show Pop Up Japan titled, "Live in Tokyo ~ Japanese Songstresses," from NHK Fureai Hall on Saturday, June 27, 2009, 12:10 PM - 1:00 PM PDT. Hosted by the comedy duo Pakkun (Pack'n aka Patrick Harlan from the US) Makkun (Mack'n aka Yoshida Makoto), it featured TSUNKU's Canary CLUB, Pop Up Japan's own special music commentator JYONGRI, yusa mimori... and the Kajiura Yuki project Kalafina (Hikaru, Keiko, Wakana).

Kalafina performed ending theme songs for Kara no Kyoukai ~the Garden of sinners~, "oblivious" from Fukan Fuukei (Movie 1) and "sprinter" from Mujun Rasen (Movie 5), as well as the second ending theme song for the Kuroshitsuji television animation series, "Lacrimosa."

For more information on UTB Hollywood and its generous anime lineup, see S. California Digital TV Station Adds Haruhi Suzumiya - Anime News Network [ANN].

For reasons why the only Japanese OTA DTV station in the Los Angeles area apparently aims so much of its programming at English speakers, among many other things one may not know, read my posts in response to the Anime News Newtwork article cited above, Los Angeles Japanese TV Station Targets English Speakers and Japanese-Celtic Politician, Anglo-Japanese Rapper.*

*The reasons seem to be largely demographic, as exemplified by two winners of the highly popular US TV program on ABC, Dancing with the Stars, Apolo Anton Ohno (Season 4 champion) and Kristi Yamaguchi (Season 6 champion).

World champion and Olympic gold medalist men's short track speedskater Apolo Ohno is half Japanese and half Caucasian, while world champion and Olympic gold medalist women's singles figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi is a Yonsei, or a fourth generation Japanese American.

===================================

To further illustrate the Americanness of Japanese Americans, (at least) 24 Japanese Americans have won the United States Medal of Honor, the "nation's highest medal for valor in combat."

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration that the United States can bestow upon an individual. It is very rarely awarded.

Always only a tiny percentage of the total U.S. population at most, Japanese Americans won an astonishing 21 U.S. Medals of Honor in combat during World War II - in which the United States was at war with Japan over 60 years ago.

Japanese Americans dominate topics on the Asian-Pacific Americans in the U.S. Army webpage at the U.S. ARMY CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY official website.

And Japanese Americans made substantial contributions in the victorious U.S./Allied war effort against Imperial Japan during World War II, particularly in military intelligence. Check out the Nisei [Second Generation Japanese American] Linguists and New Perspectives on the Pacific War: Intelligence, Race, and Continuity webpage at the U.S. ARMY CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY official website as a primer of information by Dr. James C. McNaughton, one of the foremost authorities in the field.

It is little wonder, then, why UTB Hollywood, the only Japanese digital TV station broadcasting over the air in the Los Angeles area, apparently has to strongly appeal to English speaking viewers. By themselves, it seems, ethnic Japanese viewers are too few in number to support it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4