• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter Sonata (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching Winter Sonata? From the synopsis I've read of the Korean drama in the same name and from what I've seen so far this has the makings of one the best dramas of the year. I'm also enjoying the great artwork and classical music that is supplementing the great storyline so far. The Japanese website has a story synopsis but I can't read it so if someone wants to update the encyclopedia page please do.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I too am following it. I've seen the first three episodes (from 0 to 2), and it does show promise. One thing that really grates on me is the voices. I don't know if Korean speech usually sounds that grating, or if I'm just used to hearing Japanese and the change is disconcerting, but hearing the characters speak is really, well, just ugh.

Also annoying is that the voices are too old. That's because they got the live-action cast to play the characters, but they haven't - perhaps because of a lack of formal voice training - tried to sound younger. I can see why they were brought in - they know the roles and can bring in more viewers because they are already famous. But it is annoying.

It looks amazing. It really does. Very crisp art and the animation seems fluid. I hope they can keep it up.

I am loving the character designs as well. Whatever the problems about the voices, the characters look spot-on for their age, especially compared to other Anime works.

The music is alright, though to be honest I don't usually pay much attention to that sort of thing.

The story is slow to get started, so I can see why they put in episode zero. Despite it being out of order, they did put in some tidbits to tide us over, some more obvious than others. And it does provide some drama and action, which has propped up the first couple of episodes.

There have been a few problems though. I've heard that the animation production is running behind schedule, and that the lead actor is trying to meddle in the script. Gah.

All in all, a promising start despite some hiccups and flaws.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I too am having a hard time with the Korean and the voices, it just doesn't sound right for an anime, but I can't really hold that prejudice against the anime. I guess we'll see at the end if any of that has an impact on the overall feel and quality of this production.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
It's funny...it never really registered with me how soft and melodious Japanese sounds as a language - until I started watching WS and could compare it to Korean. Whoa. I've often thought that the Romantic languages (French, Spanish, Italian) sounded really pleasant and I'd have to put Japanese up there with them.

Anyway, after what I thought was a truly dismal Episode 0, I got somewhat onboard with eppies 1 & 2. As has been pointed out, the artwork is really beautiful. One aspect I don't like in the story so far is the typical, "You're acting kind of like an a-hole...as a female I'm just so intrigued by that." Coupled with, "You're a nice guy and childhood friend, so naturally I cannot have any romantic interest in you." I may be over-stating it a bit, but not by much. It's my least favourite romance set-up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's my least favourite romance set-up.

Because it is so often true in real life? I mean, what do teenage girls want? The nice guy who's always there and always cares, but is rather boring, or the rebel who offers spontaneity and excitement?

Like the saying goes, nice guys finish last. Or as Alan from Two and a Half Men puts it, "nice guys finish in the shower". Hah, I love that show.

Back to Winter Sonata, I don't like how she is ignoring the nice guy, but only as a fellow nice guy myself. In terms of the story, it does make sense. Real humans are more complicated than "that person's nice, I'll date them". Unfortunately.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the attraction of a rebel who offers spontaneity and excitement. I just don't get the attraction to a-holes. This guy has been a completely odious dickhead to somebody who is supposed to be her friend and it seems like she couldn't care less. To quote Mr. Knightley from the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma: "Badly done, Emma, badly done."
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I decided to save the show for an off day where I can just sit down and watch the whole thing in one shot since I'm following a bunch of stuff already. This based off the sub-par episode 0 which didn't do anything for me, though.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
Started watching this a week or so ago and it's been slow going.

I'm a little into ep1 and want to watch more, but I feel like everything I saw in ep0 has nothing to do with the current plot.

The music is beautiful though - definitely worth getting the soundtrack.

I, too, am a little bugged by the sound of the Korean voice acting, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Most of all, however, I'm enjoying the animation styles when they show people in different countries. I hope this will continue throughout the series even though it seems like it will just be based in a single country from here on out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
I've been having a helluva time finding a streaming (I don't download) fansub of this that goes beyond episode 2. Has anybody else found a source for beyond episode 2? Just to be clear, I'm not asking for a link, just a confirmation that it exists because my regular searches are turning up zip, but I can deep digger if I at least have confidence it is out there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've been having a helluva time finding a streaming (I don't download) fansub of this that goes beyond episode 2. Has anybody else found a source for beyond episode 2? Just to be clear, I'm not asking for a link, just a confirmation that it exists because my regular searches are turning up zip, but I can deep digger if I at least have confidence it is out there.

I too haven't found a fansub outside of episodes zero, one and two. The problem is, only one group is actually doing this show, and they have way too many projects going on right now. I mean, they're three weeks behind on Kimi ni Todoke, and by my count they are doing like seven titles overall. Well, they are trying to do seven titles, but it just ain't working. I appreciate their work thus far (though how hard can it be when the Japanese translation of the speech is written on the screen already), but they shouldn't give out false hope. If they aren't prepared to actually keep up with all the shows they follow - not just the most popular ones - then they should man up and cull something. Like I said, it would be better than giving us false hope.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, dtm42. At least I now know there isn't a secret stash of subbed Winter Sonata eppies out there that I'm not privy too. I have seen Episodes 0, 1 & 2 as well. Even though the series wasn't setting my world on fire, I'd like to see more and it be a shame if the subbers just dropped it unceremoniously.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

Most of all, however, I'm enjoying the animation styles when they show people in different countries. I hope this will continue throughout the series even though it seems like it will just be based in a single country from here on out.

I agree, when they showed the protagonist in New York's Central Park with the San Remo Apartments in the back ground across the pond, I was like "holy shit I was just there 2 weeks ago." Of course its not like it was filmed there or anything but its still nice to see a familiar neighborhood, rather then all those foreign districts I've never seen or heard ever of, just brings the anime a little closer to home.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm curious if there's anyone who has actually seen the Korean drama, as well as the anime. The story of this one sounds interesting but I have a feeling the drama is going to be much better and so I think I'll probably just try and get my hands on it one of these days.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys I was already going to give this anime a try but now I am really looking forward too it. All your posts really helped.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm curious if there's anyone who has actually seen the Korean drama, as well as the anime. The story of this one sounds interesting but I have a feeling the drama is going to be much better and so I think I'll probably just try and get my hands on it one of these days.

I've been considering getting into Live Action dramas and I think this would definitely be something I would pick up down the road.

Fletcher1991 wrote:
Thanks guys I was already going to give this anime a try but now I am really looking forward too it. All your posts really helped.

Hope you enjoy it! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2