• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hanamaru Kindergarten Episodes 1-4 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunaLunaLun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, the opening paragraph of the review got me riled up but, as always, I try to respect everyone's opinion and kept on reading. It wasn't until I read "little girls with guns" that I realized it wasn't about Hanamaru. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway, I loved the review and I pretty much feel the same way as Carlos, at least so far. I also agree that BGM isn't anything to rave about. But I do however enjoy the ED songs, as generic it may be, and I hope they will compile it all on a single album in the future.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'm going to have to check this show out.

Man last time I saw something cute was the days of 'Bincho-tan'.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
LunaLunaLun wrote:
But I do however enjoy the ED songs, as generic it may be, and I hope they will compile it all on a single album in the future.

You can bet on that. One of the major companies behind the show is King Records, a well-known music publisher. They have been involved in every Gainax show since the Eva TV Series and published a multitude of soundtracks for every show. I guess that's the real reason for why Hanamaru Kindergarten has a new ending every week: To sell singles or, later, a compilation album.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the first episode of this series, and it was absolutely adorable. I'm very fond of these kinds of cutesy shows, and this once seems very promising.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I guess that's the real reason for why Hanamaru Kindergarten has a new ending every week: To sell singles or, later, a compilation album.

I don't understand... isn't that why anime have opening and ending themes? So the people will buy the single when it's released?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't understand... isn't that why anime have opening and ending themes? So the people will buy the single when it's released?

No, openings are there to stimulate the viewer's experience and increase the anime's impact on the viewer. But they do use it for sales purpose, just like any other thing marketable. If you look at most anime CDs, you'll find more than just the op. and ending songs. So, usually it would be considered more of a result than the means itself. Needless to say, less popular anime would sell less. Besides openings and endings aren't the only place you could insert OSTs.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Swissman wrote:
I guess that's the real reason for why Hanamaru Kindergarten has a new ending every week: To sell singles or, later, a compilation album.

Well, yes, of course. The purpose Megiddo describes is correct and used to be the first reason of op/eds existence in earlier times, but since Urusei Yatsura and its multitude of songs in the early eighties, anime openings and endings have first and foremost one purpose: To sell singles/records. And Gainax takes a new approach. Instead of taking the traditional approach of inserting non op/ed bonus songs in the middle of the show itself and latter releasing them on a compilation album like K-ON & co., they're using the ed time-slot for presenting each "bonus" song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Swissman wrote:

Well, yes, of course. The purpose Megiddo describes is correct and used to be the first reason of op/eds existence in earlier times, but since Urusei Yatsura and its multitude of songs in the early eighties, anime openings and endings have first and foremost one purpose: To sell singles/records. And Gainax takes a new approach. Instead of taking the traditional approach of inserting non op/ed bonus songs in the middle of the show itself and latter releasing them on a compilation album like K-ON & co., they're using the ed time-slot for presenting each "bonus" song.

Exactly, they're being innovative. I was just pointing out that they shouldn't really be looked down upon for capitalizing on doing what everyone does, although taken a step further.
LunaLunaLun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Whether it's innovation or new marketing tactic (perhaps, combination of both?), providing us with a new ED every week takes effort and that's an instant thumbs up for me. I really think they're doing a decent job of matching each new song to Gainax's playful presentation. Plus, they're equally giving each seiyuu a chance to shine.

If they really wanted to aim primarily for sales, I would think they would be biased towards Erino Hazuki (Yamamoto) as, in my opinion, she probably has the best singing voice of the cast (check episode 3 ED). That or simply hire a real musician to do the songs.

It's funny Urusei Yatsura was mentioned because it was referenced in episode 4. Very Happy I wonder if the 'new ED each week' will be the new trend, because Katanagatari is doing it as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute.

Seiji Mizushima is directing this? Fullmetal Alchemist Seiji Mizushima?

Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wait a minute.

Seiji Mizushima is directing this? Fullmetal Alchemist Seiji Mizushima?

Wow.

yep, and a moment of ep.5 should give FMA fans a chuckle as well.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
LunaLunaLun wrote:
If they really wanted to aim primarily for sales, I would think they would be biased towards Erino Hazuki (Yamamoto) as, in my opinion, she probably has the best singing voice of the cast (check episode 3 ED). That or simply hire a real musician to do the songs.

Don't underestimate what japanese otaku audiences want. Let's keep in mind, this show is not meant for the general public, but for fans, so there's actually no real gain in hiring a "real musician" (or whatever you meant by that). Fans want their beloved seiyuu as singers, not some j-pop celebrity singer or talented but unknown musicians.
LunaLunaLun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I now feel embarrassed by that comment. Embarassed You're absolutely right. I guess my thought got lost somewhere during that post.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying this series to a point where I'm praying that it'll miraculously get licensed (for physical distribution). Anime hyper
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
LunaLunaLun wrote:

Don't underestimate what japanese otaku audiences want. Let's keep in mind, this show is not meant for the general public, but for fans, so there's actually no real gain in hiring a "real musician" (or whatever you meant by that). Fans want their beloved seiyuu as singers, not some j-pop celebrity singer or talented but unknown musicians.

But at the same time, you can't discredit the seiyuu. Nana Mizuki, Maaya Sakamoto, Yui Makino, and of course the one who started the seiyuu idol movment, Megumi Hayashibara; all of great talent when it comes to singing.

@LunaLunaLun: I'd say Hanamaru Kindergarten actually has a fair shot at being licensed just because it's Gainax.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

@LunaLunaLun: I'd say Hanamaru Kindergarten actually has a fair shot at being licensed just because it's Gainax.

I was trying to remember a Gainax show that wasn't licensed.

Only their really old OVAs from 20 years ago or so like Hono no Tenkousei and I guess Ebichu were all I could come up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4