• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: World's Dictators Transformed Into Moe Girls in Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
-_-; What's with all the 'Oh Japan' comments when America does worse all the time? Turn on South Park or Family Guy and watch them make Hitler some "good guy who got picked on by a Jewish kid" joke and "triviliaze" a ton of tragic events like the Holocaust or Columine. Stop actin' like drawing cute girls is any more offensive than the stuff those kinds of shows pull and singling out that this is some kind of "LOL Japan is so backwards, it's cute how ignorant they are" crap.

I forgot about those. Yup, I'll take moe dictators over the peter is a idiot or cartman is lucifer show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
@Mr. Nescio

Celebrate might not be the best word to describe this moe dictator crap. I will borrow Blood-'s word, trivialize, instead.

I think I have explained well enough how this is offensive. If you do not get it Mr. Nescio, I am going to assume you are either Adolph Hitler's great grandchild or you are from another planet, not named Earth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Is there one for Tojo as well? Laughing
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Mr. Nescio - I don't agree that the illustrations "celebrate" the bloody deeds of the dictators represented in the book, but as I've said before, the images trivialize the subject. When you draw a picture of a cute girl and say, "this is Adolf Hitler", you are trivializing the insanely bloody role that Adolf Hitler played. There is no intellectually redeeming element to taking this approach. It doesn't make us re-examine the subject of dictators in any kind of salutary light.
To me, this sounds like this: "If Hitler is depicted in some way, then it should be done from the point of view of him being a dictator that killed millions of people". This seems like a trivialization of the human being called Adolf Hitler. It is a fact that Hitler was a dictator, but it is also a fact that he was, for example, a painter (as depicted in the moe illustration [of course, the moe illustration itself "trivializes" Hitler himself, but that is not generally considered offensive]).

You are telling me that the there is nothing intellectually redeeming about the moe approach to Hitler. I could agree with this, but it still doesn't mean that the material is offensive, which is what we are talking about. ( I might add that I do not think there is anything intellectual about repeating the fact of Hitler being a mass murderer, considering that it is the most well known fact about him. )

Quote:
It merely takes a serious subject and turns it into shits and giggles.
The "subject" is Adolf Hitler, not genocide. Hitler himself is not the same as the genocide he did. If Hitler himself is depicted in a trivialized way, it does not mean that genocide is trivialized.

angelmcazares, sadly, I do not think you have explained anything yet (you can point me out the posts, in which you have done this). I am not sure what should I think about your view about my view, which seems like: "if a person does not see things the way I see them, then he must be 'either Adolph Hitler's great grandchild or you are from another planet, not named Earth.' " It is certainly a very black and white viewpoint of people.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wait, where's George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden moe yuri! Laughing

(What, too soon?)

It's right before the Obama x Assad entry. Razz
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Is there one for Tojo as well? Laughing

Yes. Minamino_Hiei posted a list in this thread.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
"The only way to get even with anybody is to ridicule them. So, the only real way I could get even with Hitler and company was to bring them down with laughter." - Mel Brooks

To be honest, I don't have an issue with using the likes of Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Kim Il-sung, Saddam Hussein, Rafael Trujillo, and Pol Pot as moe fodder. Indeed, these stains on human history deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. What I do have an issue with, though, is tarring relatively benign figures like Josip Broz Tito, Juan Peron, and Kemal Ataturk with the same brush as those aforementioned stains on human history. (I suppose Jorge Rafael Videla, Leopoldo Galtieri, and the other leaders of the Argentine junta during the Dirty War were too obscure even for them, and they apparently saw it fit to trot out a fair number of semi-obscure African and Latin American despots to fill space in their book.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy cue the 50 cent party and pro-Gadaffi supporter, and any pro-dictator backers (that include pro-Assad supporter which I met one on myanimelist) coming in and calling for death to the artists that work on this and Japan and maybe going on this forum and bash the artists for making mockery to these so-called "heroes" to them.

After seeing Mao moefied, I hope the regime in mainland China does not try to start any anti-Japanese protests in response to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wait, where's George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden moe yuri! Laughing

(What, too soon?)

Does Obama x Hilary count? Hilary Clinton-chan is pretty cure.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After seeing Mao moefied, I hope the regime in mainland China does not try to start any anti-Japanese protests in response to this.

China would protest if Japan did anything, like breathe.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
When is the moe prophets of god series coming.

*ahem*

(site potentially NSFW)
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Mr. Nescio I think I have explained well enough how this is offensive. If you do not get it Mr. Nescio, I am going to assume you are either Adolph Hitler's great grandchild or you are from another planet, not named Earth.
A lot of people around today, especially on a forum like this, are not really from Earth in a certain sense.

dtm42 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
A big f-u to those who think that celebrating murderers is kawaii.

On this we are in agreement.

I don't care that Hitler is now a cute girl in a cute uniform with an apron on. SHE'S STILL EFFING HITLER. I'm not going to go "d'awwww" just because Hitler was Moe-ified.
But then you don't need to feel guilty about fantasizing about raping Hitler.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
But then you don't need to feel guilty about fantasizing about raping Hitler.

Why the heck would I want to rape Hitler?

And no, I wouldn't want to rape Hitler-chan either. She's a young girl, and I'm no Lolicon.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Of the images we've seen, the only one I think is in explicitly bad taste is Pol Pot on the pile of skulls (though it is also fairly amusing, if you like your humor very dark, and her design is exquisite)

Though my favorite is slightly chubby Mussolini with her harem of adoring fans.

Also this is not the first female Hitler. For the record.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
-_-; What's with all the 'Oh Japan' comments when America does worse all the time? Turn on South Park or Family Guy and watch them make Hitler some "good guy who got picked on by a Jewish kid" joke and "triviliaze" a ton of tragic events like the Holocaust or Columine. Stop actin' like drawing cute girls is any more offensive than the stuff those kinds of shows pull and singling out that this is some kind of "LOL Japan is so backwards, it's cute how ignorant they are" crap.

I agree. The West likes to pretend we are without sin and are better than the 'crazy' Japanese. We make fun of everything under the sun and in the darkest shadows, yet when the Japanese do it, we look down on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10