• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kara no Kyoukai Gets New Final Chapter on BD with Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
True but pre ordering it through Amazon.jp DOES make it cheaper. ALOT cheaper.....Like 100 bucks cheaper..... hmmm maybe I should think about buying o.o

Is there an actual amazon link up for it, though? The only preorder I've been able to find is through the official KnK site, and I'm having trouble registering with the damned Sony Music store. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks hissatsu!

Last edited by Big Hed on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
You can justify it all you want, but $620 is still $620. It's not like telling us why it's expensive suddenly makes it cheaper.

True but pre ordering it through Amazon.jp DOES make it cheaper. ALOT cheaper.....Like 100 bucks cheaper..... hmmm maybe I should think about buying o.o

OK, $460, that's still expensive, though. For some perspective, that's $48 more than I paid for my entire top shelf of anime when you exclude my copy of the Sakura Book, and my top shelf ain't tiny. Look, for the next 5 months I'm gonna be spending roughly $300 to import ef ~ a tale of memories, so I'm not appalled by the Japanese prices, but I'm not gonna sit here and lie to people by saying stuff like "Well, when you look at the statistics..." because it's a crock. So, yea, when you knock off $140 and it's still $480, it's expensive no matter how you cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely buy all the movies if they come out in the US. All of them looked amazing, so I can't wait to see how much better the will be in in blu-ray. I would be tempted to import them if they were cheaper since it doesn't look like any US company will be picking them up anytime soon, but the asking price is too steep for me. I rather get a PSP3000 and Valkyria Chronicles 2........plus all the big winter video game titles are around the corner too.
crewcheif01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes But do all of the OVA's have subs or just the last one?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
crewcheif01 wrote:

From the KnK site's preorder page (pardon Chrome's less-than-perfect translation):

Quote:
<Specifications>
Video: 16:9 / HD widescreen / 1920 × 1080p / MPEG-4 AVC
Only the special benefits ※ Disc recording 1080i
Sound: Linear PCM (Stereo / 5.1ch Surround) 48KHz / 24bit (only special 16bit)
※ Disc special privileges only recorded in stereo
Subtitles: English, Japanese
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
crewcheif01 wrote:

It doesn't specify, which means all of it. When only part of it has a feature of differs in features, it's specified, as it is for the audio.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
People, look, the reason they are so expensive is because they are proportional the the average salary in Japan. Yes, anime is a tad more expensive then other forms of entertainment, but this has always been the case. The fear of reverse importation is founded on the fact that in the US, that would cost half as much. That's also the reason why it won't be licensed as bluray for a long time.

Can you offer any actual figures to support that? The only numbers I can find seem to indicate the opposite, that average US salaries are actually a fair bit higher.

Your claim that prices are simply 'proportional' seem rather questionable as well. Even if Japanese salaries are higher, I think they would have to be at the very least, double if not triple what US salaries are for this to be considered proportional. I can accept that regional differences may shift prices to a certain degree. However, it seems like you're trying to brush this off as a mere, slight increase when in reality it's nothing even close to that.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Can you offer any actual figures to support that? The only numbers I can find seem to indicate the opposite, that average US salaries are actually a fair bit higher.

You won't be seeing any figures to support it because what you found is correct. The Japanese fans (and the small number of the importers) basically bear the brunt of financing for anime. It would be easier to argue that the US enjoys disproportionately cheap anime releases, not that it would ever silence the cries of "too expensive" regarding US releases from a vocal portion of US fandom. If Japan had US prices for anime, only the most popular shows would remain profitable, aside from shows that make the majority of their revenue from merchandising. Priced down re-releases and shows which experiment with somewhat cheaper releases have not really resulted in higher sales, because it's really only a tiny portion of the Japanese population that is actually interested in buying anime in the first place. The average Disney/Pixar movie released in Japan probably sells 10-20 times what the average anime title does.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ouch, my wallet screams in agony at the mere thought of being raped by that price. It's a masterpiece for sure but I can't justify blowing even the Amazon amount on the set. Maybe if it was half that I would consider it though. Hell, if it was afordable like that I'd even upgrade to a BD player just so I could play them.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Holy Crooks Cramming Crispy Crackers, Batman! Talk about an arm and a leg!

I mean, I KNOW the Japanese pay more for their anime, but still looking at those prices gets me queasy. I'd be interested if not for the price. I have yet to see any of the movies, but I hear they're good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

Heh, on 2ch anime threads, in response to anyone complaining about prices, someone will often post, "What, you didn't know? Anime is for rich people."

There was an exchange in the BD anime thread the other day that went something like:
Poster A: "I'm buying three TV series this season and I think the cost is going to drive me insane."
Poster B: "At the point you're buying even one TV anime, you're already crazy from the point of view of normal people."

Although really, it's just a matter of priorities. Spending a few thousand on BDs a year isn't a big deal if that's your main hobby.

hehe, well it is obvious... hence reverse importation and its fear by the production companies. And the problem is that even a few thousand by a few people isn't enough to support the industry just from video sales alone since a few thousand dollars worth is only a handful of shows!

And 'priorities' is right-- "hmm, I can pay my car insurance, plus gas for the entire year... or spend it on just a couple shows"

hissatsu01 wrote:
You won't be seeing any figures to support it because what you found is correct. The Japanese fans (and the small number of the importers) basically bear the brunt of financing for anime. It would be easier to argue that the US enjoys disproportionately cheap anime releases, not that it would ever silence the cries of "too expensive" regarding US releases from a vocal portion of US fandom. If Japan had US prices for anime, only the most popular shows would remain profitable, aside from shows that make the majority of their revenue from merchandising. Priced down re-releases and shows which experiment with somewhat cheaper releases have not really resulted in higher sales, because it's really only a tiny portion of the Japanese population that is actually interested in buying anime in the first place. The average Disney/Pixar movie released in Japan probably sells 10-20 times what the average anime title does.

But the issue with the priced down some of boxed releases of older shows is that while cheaper, it's still expensive; note that some certainly do well, like the Darker than Black BD box. They're better off just reverse importing for most shows that are licensed. They've waited a while already for the domestic re-releases, they might as well wait a bit more for the US version.

In addition for current shows that are sold as 2 or so ep singles, that huge but equal expense for each show juxtaposed with unequal relative worth / value leads to the current, absolutely huge disparity between the few handful of "good sellers" and "the rest" out of hundred+ titles a year, in terms of video sales alone across the board. So much so, they--"the rest" of the shows--are all just banking on merchandise sales now. For example, lots of people complain about moe but hardly any reaches the success of K-On and you can say the same about every genre for video sales. Bakemonogatari is big hit, but how many harems / romance are as successful in terms of video sales, likewise with Code Geass, shoujo shows and so on. It's even more ridiculous how much in the red they get when you consider how they have to pay many millions of $$ worth for their own late night broadcast slot on several channels (and make up for it by sponsor's ads for toys, new instant ramen flavor, etc), especially when they can stream online in HD and reach the same audience for much much less.

This wasn't on ANN, but still news worthy:
[This is a Known Bootleg Site]-video-sales-15901.phtml" target="_blank" class="postlink -wrap" rel="nofollow ugc">http://www.japanator.com/kannagi-s-yamakan-predicts-end-of-">[This is a Known Bootleg Site]-video-sales-15901.phtml
(stupid ANN filter Mad just use the last part or find it on Japanator)

Quote:
Yamakan sees Black Rock Shooter as a return to the toy-funded business models of the past, where anime is given away for free and toy makers serve as your primary source of income. He believes that the anime industry will soon be unable to profit from home video sales, saying that creators will inevitably find their anime on online video services like YouTube. Instead, collaborating with other companies will become the way to make money, such as K-ON making money for online shopping mall Rakuten and Studio Ghibli opening a branch in Toyota's headquarters.

..which is an obvious consequence of the current Japanese market--not many can afford to keep paying $500 - $1000 per show, but many many more can certainly afford a figure (or game) or two!

(it's also interesting that he equates free but legal streaming like Youtube as "giving away for free", which is effectively true even with ads; so I roll my eyes at the righteous-but-cheap "watch it legally" crowd)

That interview comes on the heels of this news about BRS figures: http://tomopop.com/figma-and-nendoroid-black-rock-shooter-account-for-160-000-units-preordered-13984.phtml
Quote:
This officially puts the duo of BRS toys as the highest-selling Figma and Nendoroid, and it hasn't even been released yet.

I'm sure it'll easily reach 200,000+ soon enough. Perhaps double that or more once you consider total worldwide sales after its release.
And that's only for the Black Rock Shooter character herself--not including the upcoming more attractive, IMO, Dead Master character Figmas, GSM PVC, and Nendoroid!
I doubt the BRS OVA has sold even a tiny fraction of that..
Furthermore companies in the recent past have typically underestimated the importance of merchandise outside of Japan (though they seem to be realizing that now).
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Best news in a while, even though the last movie had a very nice ending... it could be just character interaction and stuff. Which I'd love.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
When I saw that it had english subs I was thinking this just might be a import for me but then I saw the price and there is no way I can justify that pricing even if I love the series.

Same Sad. Needs a bare-bones release... I certainly don't need a "60-minute compilation of the first six films" together with the actual six films, for example.
genea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
I would wait to see if this is truly HD transfer or upscaled. If anyone knows for fact please post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5