• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Sanjo-chan wrote:
I couldn't stop smiling after I read this. The original Gundam, with both Sub and Dub versions... where is that pre-order button?!

But really, I'm incredibly happy for this. I do have the first movie trilogy DVDs that Bandai printed a long time ago before re-release a few months ago, but I love the English dub of the TV series...

I'm so glad Bandai is making progress with the old Gundam stuff. Now can we get the Universal Century novels, namely Hathaway's Flash? Embarassed

I hope everyone realizes that this MS Gundam release will have an all new dub. Not the dub from the previous DVD release ofthe series. That series was edited for American TV broadcast that dub wouldn't fit the original series.

Which is why that release didn't have subs, the japanese dialog no longer fit the new cut.

I thought the DVD release was uncut? Can someone back me up on that on, or maybe my memory isn't so good anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

I hope everyone realizes that this MS Gundam release will have an all new dub. Not the dub from the previous DVD release ofthe series. That series was edited for American TV broadcast that dub wouldn't fit the original series.

Which is why that release didn't have subs, the japanese dialog no longer fit the new cut.

What? I didn't notice any footage edits from the dub-only DVDs that would constitute a necessity to redub anything. There's no reason to redub anything, nor do I expect they will. If they do, I doubt they'll be changing the cast any.

And the reason there was no bilingual release until now was the fear of reverse importing and the fact that for a while, the Japanese didn't even have a DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
scorpionmonkey wrote:
Kudos for Bandai for getting some more gundam stuff out there.

Now on to the K-on! issue. Who decides how they market it? quite frankly the last few releases have been bandai store only exclusives....and I think that's just wrong. Not only that but it hits pretty hard on the wallet if you do buy at the store.

Although it wasn't mentioned that it will be a bandai store exclusive, I think that it should be a wide spread release. I think it's pretty dumb that they decided to spread the first season across 4 volumes when the first season is only 13 episodes (14 if you count the OVA) And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they recently release the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya in it's entirety as just one box set? And on the note of the songs not being dubbed in english, didin't they dub the haruhi songs in english with wendee lee singing? It just seems wrong not to have dubbed versions of the songs in K-on! and there are quite a few of them. If you don't like the dub you can always watch the sub. But not releasing it as one set....that's just dumb. And you know that within a year of it being released (whenever that is because they will most likely delay it when the release date approaches) there will be a complete collection.

They did release Haruhi S2 in one set, but no the Haruhi songs were kept in Japanese on the full version CD's. And honestly, you're right. Why cast Christina, someone who was known for singing K-ON songs, if you're not gonna have her redub the songs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade wrote:
50% of me is saying "Thank god they decided to even GET a dub instead of releasing it subbed and forcing me to keep the entire series on my hard drive and not buy the release.
Uh no, that's just your own self-serving mentality "forcing" you to do or not do anything. If dubs are so important to you, why download the fansubs in the first place?

Mr Adventure wrote:

Which is why that release didn't have subs, the Japanese dialog no longer fit the new cut.
Do you really think Bandai would invest in a full re-dubbing of a 30-year-old series that didn't do terribly well even with a US TV broadcast? I'm fairly sure the DVDs were uncut, much like the DVDs for series like G Gundam and Gundam Wing that had edited TV broadcasts. It'll be the old dub or no dub at all.

Besides, the generally accepted reason for the dub-only release was that MSG didn't have a DVD release in Japan at the time, so Sunrise didn't want reverse importation going on. (Penguintruth beat me to it) I am surprised by the announcement though; at some con a few years ago, Bandai said they weren't ever going to touch or re-release First Gundam again in any format.

Quote:
Why cast Christina, someone who was known for singing K-ON songs, if you're not gonna have her redub the songs?
They felt her acting skills were appropriate for the part?
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
SonicRenegade wrote:
50% of me is saying "Thank god they decided to even GET a dub instead of releasing it subbed and forcing me to keep the entire series on my hard drive and not buy the release.
Uh no, that's just your own self-serving mentality "forcing" you to do or not do anything. If dubs are so important to you, why download the fansubs in the first place?
It's called "being a fan and following the show the minute it comes out".

wrote:

Do you think she would've even been considering having not done K-ON songs on Youtube?
raithnor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The refusal to dub one episode of MSG seems rather odd. Anyone know which episode and what actually happens with it?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding it was a filler episode Tomino disliked. The same thing happened with ADV's subbed Sailor Moon release, and a wierd episode of Sailor Moon R wherein Rini befriended a dinosaur. Basically, someone in Japan said no, and that's all there was to it.

anime#46
The dub cast were all long time Ocean regulars, so it's a pretty standard dub- I really enjoyed the performances, and managed to quickly get over the modern voice actors dubbing an old 70's show thing- mostly becasue Bandai's video quality was pretty high for the series on dvd. I'm guessing they'll use the same masters for this release. The cast were also used in assorted video games from the time, and in the Char's Counterattack movie [though not the Zeta Gundam series, which used similar sounding VA's for returning roles from Ocean's Blue Water Studios in Calgary]

The series had both cut and uncut releases on vhs, and only uncut releases on DVD, so there is indeed an unedited dub.

The only odd thing about the dubonly dvd's--- The first few dvd's use the original 70's opening/ending, but later ones use the toonami version due to strange Sunrise inner politics of the time [same ones taht kept the sub version off the dvd's back then]. Here's hoping Bandai can use those superretro songs for all episodes of the new release. The actual episodes were completely uncut though [as were the eyecatches Smile]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
If only we could get a redub of Zeta Gundam using the VAs from the original series dub. That Blue Water dub wasn't just bad on its own, but also inconsistent with 0079 and CCA.

I will be pretty miffed if they don't have "Fly! Gundam" and "Forever Amuro" on the new sets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
wrote:

Do you think she would've even been considering having not done K-ON songs on Youtube?

I'm sure they liked that she was familiar with the part already, VAs rarely are. In fact when she appeared at Otakon as a surprise guest she was in Mio cosplay and did a little concert of K-ON songs). But it's not as if Cristina doesn't already voice act on a regular basis for other shows that have nothing to do with music (Blade of the Imortal? Tweeny Witches? The Familiar of Zero?).

darkchibi07 wrote:
Ohhh, nice sleuthing there! It'll be great if someone can confirm that! Razz

Confirmed, it is Cassandra Lee Morris as Ritsu.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
B.K.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It's about damn time they rereleased Mobile Suit Gundam!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

What? I didn't notice any footage edits from the dub-only DVDs that would constitute a necessity to redub anything. There's no reason to redub anything, nor do I expect they will. If they do, I doubt they'll be changing the cast any.

And the reason there was no bilingual release until now was the fear of reverse importing and the fact that for a while, the Japanese didn't even have a DVD release.

Yup, Bandai won't have any problem synching the english dub to the footage, but yes, they wiill get rid of the Toonami OP.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If only we could get a redub of Zeta Gundam using the VAs from the original series dub. That Blue Water dub wasn't just bad on its own, but also inconsistent with 0079 and CCA.

I will be pretty miffed if they don't have "Fly! Gundam" and "Forever Amuro" on the new sets.

Ah, Zeta Gundam... To date, I can't think of a more fucked up Bandai release. Shitty Blue Water dub, dubtitles, replaced OP and ED music, and glitched Vol. 4 discs. I spent $200 on that POS set and around another $100 for the "fixed" double disc volumes.

I really hate to say it, but sometimes I kinda just wish BEI would fold. When they're not unintentionally [expletive] up their releases, they're purposely gimping them or marketing their products at ridiculous prices. Their properties would be better off under someone else...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only person who recalls how messed up the Zeta set was. I'm still a little irritated by it, since that's my favorite Gundam anime. But, I've bought stuff from Bandai since and haven't had such problems.

As long as they avoid dubtitles, the 0079 set should be fine.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
More Gundam?

This is amazing news as I pondered if Bandai Entertainment would ever re-release Mobile Suit Gundam. I still remember the Toonami run of it. But now, I can see the origins of the Gundam franchise in its entirety (minus one episode) and own it.

Oh, I am also looking forward for the Gundam 00 movie's release as well.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

darkchibi07 wrote:
Ohhh, nice sleuthing there! It'll be great if someone can confirm that! Razz

Confirmed, it is Cassandra Lee Morris as Ritsu.

Emerje

She even confirmed her alias name as well in Twitter. Someone in the Encyclopedia should make note of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9