• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Launches Anime DVD/Blu-ray Kiosks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Good question. If it fails, I'd imagine this is what will bring down Media Blasters.

Media Blasters is basically the cat who had 8,000 lives at this point.

I'm thinkin' this is GOOD, because it's CASH. assuming they play it right, a cash infusion could help them get other product out the door, they they have been pushing back, and that will keep them alive.

"See, there's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. Now, mostly dead: he's slightly alive." - Max

ETA:
"MB is on my poopy list right now over their utter failure to make announced delivery dates for the Queen's Blade complete collection and Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny." Blood

I feel your pain... they owe me a Moribito defect repalcement disk they have been promising since APRIL
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
DUDE. I hope it comes over my way. I'd be happy to support MB.

If it did, between this, my local comics place (which has close to if not over 1,000 anime DVDs to rent for $1 per night), my local libraries, and streaming online, I'd be set. I still buy DVDs, but for those I can't I have so many legal means of watching anime. I also plan on get Netflix some day (maybe sometime next year).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
MB is on my poopy list right now over their utter failure to make announced delivery dates for the Queen's Blade complete collection and Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny. Slap me in the face, kick me in the 'nads, insult my ancestors, but do not - I REPEAT, DO NOT - interfere with me getting my kick-ass, female fighters ecchi on.

Anyway, despite my understandable disgruntlement, I hope this works out for them and lets them release titles with say, only 15 delays, instead of the usual 83.

They are on my poopy list for announcing they had Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei and then putting it on TBD release.

One show I REALLY want to see(LOVE the manga) and thought would never get licensed. Might as well not have with how long they are taking to release it with no hint of a release date.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

They are on my poopy list for announcing they had Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei and then putting it on TBD release.

One show I REALLY want to see(LOVE the manga) and thought would never get licensed. Might as well not have with how long they are taking to release it with no hint of a release date.

http://twitter.com/mediablasters You might want to keep an eye on their twitter account which launced a few days ago- looks like they're branching out and making their web presence a bit wider then just their Youtube page, website and occasional posts from Sirabella at AonDVD.

News so far-
-Kanokon will be finished a boxset collection
- "Let me reiterate, Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei on DVD is alive. We're working on it!" and "Y'know...I think I'm moving Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei to *my* want list, too! Smile" should probably clear that up for you.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope they announce where they'll be. If it's just in remote major city areas then...

Well... expansion better pick up then! because' some people live in "remote" remote areas.
And... some of those people don't have Netflix.......
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
So, is this what they were doing instead of getting my Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny volume 3 out that's been on order for like 6 months and pushed back like 3 times? Mad

That idea sounds cool and all but only if they put one in Duluth Minnesota. Or have an online service that could supplement titles Netflix doesn't have. Otherwise I don't care.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only who thinks this is a bad idea? Especially considering the bankruptcy of Blockbuster, I mean who rents anything anymore aside from Netflix? Would think the people this is geared toward are more inclined to just pirate the stuff or just straight up buy it if they like it enough. Going out and renting a physical DVD is pretty inconvenient which is why people turned to streaming and the internet in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I the only who thinks this is a bad idea? Especially considering the bankruptcy of Blockbuster, I mean who rents anything anymore aside from Netflix? Would think the people this is geared toward are more inclined to just pirate the stuff or just straight up buy it if they like it enough. Going out and renting a physical DVD is pretty inconvenient which is why people turned to streaming and the internet in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Picture this: You love a movie and you go to a local Redbox to pick it up. You see this... other vendor. You go up and look at it, checking out it's selection. It's... cartoons. "huh, this one looks interesting. Looks like the movie I came here to get."
You watch it, you unexpectedly love it, and you go back...

If nothing else, it's putting anime out there, front row and center. Not everyone will react, but... given enough time a thing called "curiosity" will kick in and then... a forkroad will come into being...

That's what I get outta this.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Sigh I cant use it I dont have a card for it and it dosnt take money Crying or Very sad
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

There's a reason they're targeting places with colleges. I live in a city with a big university, and the red boxes are popular with the students. I could see this possibly being a successful endeavor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Well, from what I've heard, Redbox actually was one of the final nails in Blockbuster's coffin. And as far as Netflix is concerned, its acquisition of new anime titles has become very sketchy. Its buyers are getting bad at stocking even big, mainstream titles.

I personally go through Netflix for all of my rentals, but I know people who do use Redbox (I don't really get why, myself) and a couple of them are also anime fans. So, maybe this venture will somehow defy both odds and expectations and succeed. And maybe fans can then ride that lucky streak all the way into a season set of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
This sounds really good! Very Happy How long can we keep a rental out? It takes me at least a week to get through a 26 episode series.

If they do this anything like Redbox then it'll be $1-$2 per night, charged when you return it. After something like 30 days they'll charge you $30-$60 and you keep the disc. Also if it's anything like Redbox it'll be a specially designed disc without special features and an unattractive design made for he vending machine to identify the disc. If you need the disc(s) for a long period of time you might be better off just going out and buying it.

I see Redbox machines pretty much everywhere, but I'll probably never see one of these in my entire life.

Emerje
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Picture this: You love a movie and you go to a local Redbox to pick it up. You see this... other vendor. You go up and look at it, checking out it's selection. It's... cartoons. "huh, this one looks interesting. Looks like the movie I came here to get."
You watch it, you unexpectedly love it, and you go back...

If nothing else, it's putting anime out there, front row and center. Not everyone will react, but... given enough time a thing called "curiosity" will kick in and then... a forkroad will come into being...

That's what I get outta this.

Agreed. I've long felt that anime needs more exposure than it gets, outside of the existing fanbase, and this has potential to provide it. Perhaps not a lot, but more than it's getting now.
Graperacecar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
As someone who doesn't watch a lot of movies, I don't really see the point of having Netflix. So I kind of imagine that someday, I'll end up going to a Redbox, and a Redbox, but for anime, sounds kind of cool. It sucks to have to use a credit card, but I don't think one of these will be in my area for a while. Still, I wish them luck, I'd love to be able to use one someday.
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
They need to get the kiosks in college campuses. I know an anime shop near Rice University was able to survive longer due to rentals. Sadly, it was not enough. If there was a kiosk at the community college down the street, I would probably use it to check out some shows.

I have to sign up for the Media Blaster's poops a-lot list. They need to just pick a date and stick to it, not jerk people around. If you need more time, say it will take a year and get it over with. I have a hard time believing what a zombie says. Twitter all you want. I will believe it when I see it. While they are at it, put the series in a box set. That way I do not have to wonder if the series is even going to be finished. IMO, Bandai is close to be on my 'list' too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3