• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I live in Japan - any questions, anime or otherwise?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skankfish215

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well, this probably belongs in the subscriber only channel, unless we can keep it anime themed...

But I live and work in Japan, so if you have any questions about life out here/things you've seen in anime that you want to clear up, let me know.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the offer. I don't have anything to ask right now, but I'll keep this thread in mind.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
I do have a question, about the topos of "standing with one hand on your hip while drinking something after a bath" that is the basis of a number of seeming jokes and sight gags in anime. What is the cultural reference there?

Of course the only examples I can think of off the top of my head are in Chobits and Nadesico, but I know I've seen it in a number of other places too. (Sorry if this question has been asked often before and everyone else is sick of it.)
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's stupid, but it has bothering me since I've seen first school comedy. What about position and duties of the school council? I can't believe in those presidents adored by everyone and soooo important that even teachers don't bother them with trivial problems.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
How well did the plan to increase money supply by buying junk treasury bonds aka quantitative easing work during their last recession?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
How well did the plan to increase money supply by buying junk treasury bonds aka quantitative easing work during their last recession?

I second this question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
skankfish215

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I do have a question, about the topos of "standing with one hand on your hip while drinking something after a bath" that is the basis of a number of seeming jokes and sight gags in anime. What is the cultural reference there?

Of course the only examples I can think of off the top of my head are in Chobits and Nadesico, but I know I've seen it in a number of other places too. (Sorry if this question has been asked often before and everyone else is sick of it.)

Never heard that one before.

Err well it's very common to drink milk after an onsen. Not sure why someone would stand like that though.

EireformContinent --> School council get a lot of respect, but they certainly aren't God's of the school or anything. In England we would have thought they were a bunch of try-hard douches, but here it seems everyone knows they have a bright future and take them pretty seriously. The council meetings are attended by all students (mainly just as an audience) and broadcast across the whole school via the speaker system, so it's taken pretty seriously.

poilk92 --> not my feild to say the least, although the economy is apparently in the early stages of recovery.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Do they actually make the students clean the schools and take out trash? I always saw this as kind of unfair. Why not just hire Janitors like they do over here?
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
i was under the impression they never got completely out of their 90s recession and they quantitatively eased the crap out of themselves. Their overall disenchanted worker (not counted unemployed because they don't bother looking for a job) has been high for a long time
skankfish215

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Do they actually make the students clean the schools and take out trash? I always saw this as kind of unfair. Why not just hire Janitors like they do over here?

Yes, that's seen as a very important part of Japanese moral education. Team work is incredibly important here, and that's just another way of ingraining it.

poilk92 - maybe, but high for Japan is very low in comparison with the rest of the world. And you can see here that it's slowly recovering
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/Unemployment-rate.aspx?Symbol=JPY
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
skankfish215 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Yes, that's seen as a very important part of Japanese moral education. Team work is incredibly important here, and that's just another way of ingraining it.

All East Asian schools are the same. We even have to clean toilet bowls with minimal tools (students nowadays have latex gloves, but back when I was a student there wasn't any). Sometimes teachers or even the principal would come down and do the same so no student could complain. It came from the old tradition that disciples/apprentices were expected to do chores for teachers/masters.

I've got a question for the thread starter: does one really need to have a certified parking space before buying a car? And how many city-dwelling Japanese would play the trick by moving his/her registered address to rural area and move it back after passing the inspection from DMV?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If you are familiar with the recent anime My Sister Couldn't be this cute (Ore No Imouto Ga Konna Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai), do you know if opinions of of the general puclic of anime/otaku games and those who play them is so bad. There has been quite a lot of discusion lately that the show was blowing it out of porportion. One opinion was that the industry would not be very efficent if there was such a bad public image.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not in Japan or from there but back home (Zambia) the Student council is also taken very seriously. Captains are eleceted in each house and from those Captains a Headboy and Deputy are picked. Their responsibilities are quite vast and very important. Their meetings are held atleast twice a week but are in private, School rules have been altered before through these meetings.

And yes Students do have to clean the school, its done on a roster basis and also the detainees do it as a form of punishment. It keeps the respect thing high in a school enviroment which is a key part of the African culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the Japanese think of English dubs of anime. Do they like certain ones? Do they have the same arguments about Japanese dubs of American cartoons over there versus watching them in English with Japanese subtitles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
skankfish215

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I've got a question for the thread starter: does one really need to have a certified parking space before buying a car? And how many city-dwelling Japanese would play the trick by moving his/her registered address to rural area and move it back after passing the inspection from DMV?

That's an interesting question, and one which I http://www.accessj.com/2010/07/buying-car-in-japan.html blogged about just recently. Technically you do need a parking space before they will deliver the car to you. However, in more rural areas that isn't enforced. It's only in the larger towns or cities where that's really an issue (so most of Japan).

But you can't get away with not having a spot in the city because you have to pay for it (anything from 2,000 to 100,000 yen). I blogged about that too, but I think that's enough shameless promotion. If you haven't paid for one then your only option is pay-as-you-go parking.

DuskyPredator - obvious otaku are not considered normal people. However, I'm sure a lot of people who aren't fat and disgusting do play a lot of the games out there. If they start wearing the t-shirts or coating their houses in models and posters then they will certainly be looked down upon as a social problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8