• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I live in Japan - any questions, anime or otherwise?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
@EmbraceMe: When Japanese (finally) come home to crash and turn on the TV, they oft peruse the Japanese game show; a style of programming that relies heavily on the participation and particularly the reactions of talents (Japanese celebrities - many talents don't seem to have much...talent. They're basically socially accepted conmen. :p). A typical game show will have a panel of these personalities eating food or talking about current events. My favourite, and by that I mean what I think to be the scum of the earth, is when there's a panel show with a pre-recorded segment (like a dramatic re-enaction of some tragic event) and they have a box in the upper portion of the screen showing the individual reactions of the talents. I hate them and everything they stand for with a frothing passion.

Game shows seem to be a universal, but other activities might be more dependent on who and where you are. In terms of abundance, I think retired people have the most free time by a landslide; the problem is, many find they have no idea what they're going to do with so much time. At the moment, an elderly group of woman activists are trying to amend the law regarding surnames; as it stands, a married couple must assume one name, i.e. a woman can't just keep her maiden name or else the husband must change his.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Japanese men, as a general rule, do not take their wives family name when they marry; as such, getting my residency paperwork in order after my first marriage was a bureaucratic nightmare. I would urge anyone caught in a similar situation to simply imagine Sisyphus happy. Also keep a file of the marriage license (in Japanese and English of course) handy, so you can prove you are who you say you are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8