• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Historical basis.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT]Well Spastic Minnow couldn't figure out what I was asking so I decided to refine my question.

I am interested in the origin of the artistic style shared by anime and manga and curious if anyone knows if this started as a contemporary art style that was then adapted to manga and anime or if it was generated for the medium

[ORIGINAL POST]So I figure anime started showing up in the 80s, but does anyone know how long manga was around before that? And was there an artistic movement or style within Japan that was a precursor to the manga/anime style?[/OP]

Last edited by poilk92 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
So I figure anime started showing up in the 80s, but does anyone know how long manga was around before that? And was there an artistic movement or style within Japan that was a precursor to the manga/anime style?

I know you've got this odd confrontational style and sense of humor, but how many people are you trying to piss off here?

Anyways, if you're being serious...
Mike O'Toole Show #1: Old's Cool

...the look and feel of anime would be defined by the first monochromatic TV cartoons [from 1963 to 1969]. Most of them seem pretty primitive by today's standards. This is partly because Japan's anime industry was still being built as these cartoons were created-- and built by young people who, led by the indefatiguable Osamu Tezuka, were more or less making the entire craft and industry up as they went along.

Don't know much about manga history... if only there were a place here where manga fans talk about manga....

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
What exactly constitutes anime might vary among individuals, but Japan's first animation was as early as the 1900s, consisting of drawings etched onto the film stock itself. The key figure in manga/anime popularity however would be Osamu Tezuka, creator of Astro Boy et al in the post-war period. The anime for Astro Boy surfaced in the 60s. I've heard tell of several worthy English publications that address Tezuka and Manga; for questions about history, there's nothing better than a good library.
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Don't know much about manga history... if only there were a place here where manga fans talk about manga....

I am not asking specifically about manga or anime history. It is history of both mediums so I picked the specific forum I am more familiar with and gets more traffic, sorry if that upsets you.

Honestly though I am interested in less recent history. I.E. not manga or anime but contemporary artistic movement that might share styles with manga/anime
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would have considered your first paragraph simply badly stated (which it still is) if it weren't for the unrelated (now deleted) second paragraph/sentence... and separately if you had put put that second statement in another thread randomly... I still would have thought it was a stupid thing to say but would excuse it as one mildly inflammatory message. Together it looked like you were purposefully goading people.

Anyway, yeah, if you're interested in more modern anime trends it should be in that first OP, maybe explain what you think is old or something. if you say "anime started showing up in the 80s" you'll get people wondering WTF you're talking about. Be glad I'm the one that answered you- I can let it go.

I tend to think of anime history in relation to the most influential creators of the times. Osamu Tezuka for the early era, Leiji Matsumoto for the mid-70's and early 80's and I guess a large part of the late 80's and 90's was shaped by the story-telling style and themes of Rumiko Takahashi, Akira Toriyama and maybe Katsuhiro Otomo.

I admit this is a very simplified view and ignores much but I'm thinking of the broadest and most popular trends possible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Well maybe NOW you can understand me. Honestly it just seems like you are just being difficult Confused
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:

Honestly though I am interested in less recent history. I.E. not manga or anime but contemporary artistic movement that might share styles with manga/anime

i've been trying to think about this, and my brain keeps going the other way, back into anime and manga.

but there is the "superflat" movement, you could check that out?

every once in a while i can point out a specific example of something that uses an art style i'm familiar with. like, in Goblin Cat there's a strong early japanese caligraphy art style and also a strong homage to european art nouveau, which you can see especially in things like the hair style of the protagonist.

a show like Requiem from the Darkness has a strong style unlike anything else i've seen in anime (except for one episode of something that i saw recently where i thought they were paying an homage to RftD, which i cannot now remember -- agh!). but other than describing the style i couldn't put a name to it or compare it historically to much -- though maybe it pays tribute to classic japanese horror manga ... but does that have its own unique name? i don't know ...

i also watched part of Bandit King Jing Seventh Heaven recently, and it has obvious tributes to several famous surrealist paintings, including Salvador Dali and the super-precise mathematical drawings of MC Escher.

i'm not sure if i'm on the right track here or not man ... were you thinking broader than this?

EDIT: one supercool book i have is Hokusai, First Manga Master. his stuff is ancient of days, but his art still kicks the ass off many (if not most) newer artists.

EDIT MORE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokusai
Katsushika Hokusai (葛飾 北斎, October or November 1760 – May 10, 1849)

He's kind of like a Japanese Heironymus Bosch. His yokai and supernatural drawings are totally surreal. And with tools we'd consider primitive and clunky today he was a master of fine details. Totally worth a look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1