• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warning about Sentai's release of Koihime Muso.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Source: AnimeOnDVD

Zhemos wrote:
For those interesting in buying Koihime Muso be warned. Sentai used the same subtitle script from crunchyroll. It's full of grammar errors, missed lines, engrish etc.

Wtf Sentai? How unprofessional can you get? You think people want to pay money for a speed sub?

Suwako Moriya wrote:
As long as we're on the subject. Here's the fun part for you. I'm confused as to which version they got. Allow me to explain.

You see in addition to things like reducing/removing steam, some if not all of the "Chibi Scenes" were replaced by normal scenes. A good example is in episode 2 around the 9:55 or so mark.

Checking episode 2 of the DVD and it's the version with the chibi scene. Now before you scream, more must be said as I did additional checking. Check of scenes involving nudity.

Since in the broadcast version the stream should be there and in the DVD version, the stream should be removed. So I went to episode 9 which was a perfect test.

The R1 DVD version of that scene was the uncensored version of the scene as opposed to the censored version you would see through the broadcast version.

The only thing, I can think of is that, the Japanese might have created two uncensored versions of the show. One that retains the "chibi" scenes and one that replaces them.

If episode 2 is any indication, we might have gotten the one that retains them. I'd need to watch the episodes in full and do constant checking of err files just to be sure.

One thing I wonder is this. How was it in the Japanese DVD? I think I heard somewhere that both versions were included, but I could be remembering wrong.

In any case, I'm not sure if this is the fault of Sentai or the Japanese. Perhaps Sentai wasn't willing to "pay" enough to get both versions. Or maybe the Japanese were against letting the other version be released, I have no idea.

I also have mixed feelings on it. Since ideally, I would want both versions. On the other hand, I do kind of like the chibi scenes that the series had. They're amusing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If Sentai simply kept the Crunchy subtitles, then that pisses me off. Come on, d-bags, if you are going to be selling a product, at least have the common decency to spring for truly professional subtitles. Ugh, distribs are going to be the death of me.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
And here I was thinking Canaan had sub problems.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't a very good show anyway so it doesn't matter as much as the decent titles.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
It wasn't a very good show anyway so it doesn't matter as much as the decent titles.

Every show is someone's favorite. Besides, good show or bad, no show, especially sub-only ones, deserve to get horrible quality control. Seriously, there is not a ton of work to be done on sub-only shows, so how can something like this happen? Read the script and make corrections where needed. The end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gentry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Gentry wrote:

Every show is someone's favorite. Besides, good show or bad, no show, especially sub-only ones, deserve to get horrible quality control. Seriously, there is not a ton of work to be done on sub-only shows, so how can something like this happen? Read the script and make corrections where needed. The end.
But it's quicker and cheaper to just lift the subs. There are benefits to it, just depends which ones you prefer.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
We should just all learn Japanese and interpret it in our own ways haha.
Dan297na

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Looks like episode 10 is the censored version.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1881802&postcount=30
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I won't be buying this then. Sad
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
well censorship is the normal now. I might still pick up the dvd's. I enjoyed the show.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
well censorship is the normal now. I might still pick up the dvd's. I enjoyed the show.

That being said that's just for TV, there should still be uncensored DVD/BD releases. Anyways, did not have an interest in this show before, and I don't now even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Gentry wrote:

Laughing Ever heard of Sailor & The 7 Ballz? Or Violence Jack?

Just saying...some stuff, NO ONE should ever have to put effort into quality control.

This? Probably not. But still. Besides... It's Sentai. Lately, they haven't been synonymous with "quality."

Really. What the hell is wrong with everybody. In a dying industry, it's like FUNI are the only ones even bothering these days...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Good ole Sentai, if it's not one thing, it's another.

I can only imagine how furious some of the fans are that what they are getting is the censored version instead of of original version. Not sure I would be, but it all depends on the series.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Well this is one blind buy I regret. I'm sure the censored episodes was a licensing issue but I don't see how they can rationalize using inferior subs on a sub-only release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1