• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Chevalier D'eon= simply amazing!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
I recently went back and rewatched this series which made me realize how much I truly appreciate it. I really liked how they implemented a lot of the political issues that Europe was facing during that time and made it even more unique with a supernatural twist along with using real life historical figures.

The end of the series was truly engaging as well. spoiler[It was interesting how D'Eon realizes at the end that Louis killed his sister and sent him on the goose chase around Europe just so that he could prevent people from finding out his false lineage and starting a revolution against the French monarchy. The only thing that bothered me about it was that D'Eon still pledged to serve Louis despite finding out about all he crap he put him through(possibly due to how he didn't want to destroy French society?) ]

The ending was spoiler[tragic, with D'Eon reminiscing about how he lost the country he loved, along with all of his friends but it was very fitting due to the fact that the anime takes place shortly before the French Revolution but was very fitting.]

Who else thinks that this unappreciated(and somewhat unwatched?) anime is as good as I regard it to be? If so, explain why.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
While the anime wasn't bad, I found it hard to follow at many places, and the pacing steadily got worse the later it went.

Of course, this could have to do with the fact that I saw the anime after I'd read 6 volumes of the manga, so...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
Well, you can see how almost every detail reflects the obviously high level of research that went into the show. The swordfights are amazing, and are actually good reflections of all the technical details that go into swordfighting; stance, shifting of weight, balance, footwork, proper parrying, speed rather than strength, you name it. We meet famous people re-imagined in rather inventive and interesting ways, like how D'Eon went from a cross-dresser in real-life to being possessed by his sister's ghost. The plot takes a while to fully show up - too much explanation is left to the end - but it is of good quality nevertheless, and things do make sense in retrospective. The artwork is sumptuous at times, and I like the OP and ED. I was never really sure of what the Psalms were, or exactly how much power they could grant, but the rest of the show was entertaining enough to keep me from dwelling on that.

I think the show's greatest strength was that it dared to go beyond modern times and go beyond the shores of Japan, and take real events and real people and use them as the foundation for an original storyline. Anime may be by definition Japanese-made works, but there is no reason that the stories it tells have to be about Japan or it's neighbours, or even fictional countries. While there have been a number of works that are set in foreign lands - New York (Red Garden), England (Hellsing) or all over Europe and Asia (Master Keaton) - they rarely involve real people and a historical setting. That's what I enjoy about Le Chevalier D'eon.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
I love this series as well and think it sadly underrated. I'd describe it as Alexandre Dumas meets George Romero.

The artwork is phenomenal, from the period clothes to the architecture (I'm lucky enough to have been to three of the locations depicted, and they all looked spot-on to me). I also very much liked the interaction between the main characters. Their varying ages gave the series a different vibe than you get in most anime.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone in the mood for a horror-tragedy period piece. Although I wouldn't recommend it as a shortcut for a French Revolution unit in Social Studies class due to a few tweaks, it does give you a general idea of what was going on in Europe at the time and might make you want to read up on some of the characters introduced.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like this series, I really did. It definitely was nice to look at and I enjoyed the fact they went to places like Russia and England. However, I just found the series dull a lot of the time, although every now and then it would have its moments. It was a series I owned and then traded away because I felt there was almost zero chance of me wanting to rewatch it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
French conspiracies are always fun. Hell, Edmond Dantes is one of my all time favorite heroes.

However, they aren't fun when the pacing is off the rails. Which gives me the feeling that this show was either too small, or too big in scope, cause abrupt changes in the slow pacing were quite obvious to me. They either tried to quickly fill in the empty gaps, or hastily removed them.

Not to say this show wasn't entertaining. It's just, it could've been twice as good.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was a series I owned and then traded away because I felt there was almost zero chance of me wanting to rewatch it.

Since I was the one you traded it to, I can relate to this. I haven't finished it yet, stuck at episode 12. It has put me to sleep more than any other series. It's boring.

Eventually, I will finish it, because as the OP stated, it is good. It's like watching Titanic. Half the movie sucks and is boring, but once the iceberg makes an appearance, it's better.

I'm hoping this is how the series goes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If you're only on eppie 12, PJ, I'm afraid you have more slogging to do. If memory serves (which it does with less reliability these days), it's not until the last two or three eppies that things really pick up and some cool revelations get played out.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Eventually, I will finish it, because as the OP stated, it is good. It's like watching Titanic. Half the movie sucks and is boring, but once the iceberg makes an appearance, it's better.

I'm hoping this is how the series goes.

I think that's a pretty good definition. I used to think the same and even dropped this series years ago around episode 10. Once I restarted it it certainly took a while to get me warmed up, but the thing only gets really going once the twists start happening.
The last half is by far the most superior imo.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
It's good, but not amazing.

I think you have to be into period dramas to be entertained from beginning to finish, though. The world building and costume design is really a major part of its appeal. If it doesn't do anything for you, then people will get impatient.

Luckily for me, I kinda dig "boring" period dramas. Young Victoria, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, Bright Star...I dig that ****. Wink
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Half the movie sucks and is boring, but once the iceberg makes an appearance, it's better.

If I didn't know any better, that sounds an awful lot like Roland Emmerich logic... >:/
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
If I didn't know any better, that sounds an awful lot like Roland Emmerich logic... >:/

Close, except his movies are good up front, then suck after the midway point.

Area 51, yo.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
If you feel like you're getting bogged down at any point during this series then it's not for you, as the pacing of it is very measured and deliberate and doesn't change at any point during the series; although there are a lot more big revelations in the last 3-4 episodes, I'd argue that the pacing isn't really any different there, either.

I got totally absorbed in this one perhaps in part because I am a history buff (I have a license to teach secondary-level World History, after all), but I also think that the way you view this one might have an impact. I originally saw this one as it was coming out on four-episode singles, and although I've re-viewed chunks of it since then, I've never marathoned it. Perhaps this one is just less conducive to marathoning than most?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked it overall. It had good characters, nice animation, an interesting mystery and good action. On the other hand spoiler[I felt that the end just trainwrecked and wasn't all that great. If it would have explained more things and not killed off as many characters I would have enjoyed it more.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you feel like you're getting bogged down at any point during this series then it's not for you, as the pacing of it is very measured and deliberate and doesn't change at any point during the series; although there are a lot more big revelations in the last 3-4 episodes, I'd argue that the pacing isn't really any different there, either.

I would have to disagree with this. The pace of the anime is not at all steady. The beginning moves by very quickly, and then it slows down a bit. And then it gets steady again, and slows down. I think where the biggest pacing problems are, is the rush at the end (they needed a couple more episodes, instead of throwing everything at you all at once, and the "between" moments. All of the scenes "between" major events seem very slow, especially anything with Anna in them. I'm sure she was a great character, but I couldn't enjoy her because of how everything slowed down whenever she was on screen or pivotal to the story.

And I also disagree with your "it's not for you" statement. I enjoy the story, like the characters, love the artwork. I cannot stand the pacing. It felt bogged down for much of the series. The only point that stands out to me as not being bogged down is the stuff in Russia, which I felt was done beautifully and perfectly.

You mention (in the part I didn't quote), that you're a history buff. I'm not (I actually dislike most historical-based series), but I enjoyed the series. My roommate who is a history buff, refuses to watch past episode 1. Yet, both of us have read all 8 volumes of the manga, and love it.

The manga starts out with at least a similar story, some of the same characters... and goes a completely different direction, with new (and, IMO, more interesting) characters. The only anime-only character I really liked was Marie.

The series isn't bad. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rank it probably a 6 or 7. It's better than average, but it's nothing spectacular. If it had've had more episodes, or been paced better, it probably would rank higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2